Home General Discussion

Starting Fresh (Again) Software/Tool Question.

Hello all, long time forum and art observer -- first time posting! I had a question for the community in terms of software and how often I should upgrade and keep to the current models. I haven't touched my 3D modelling software in a long time, so I was wondering if I should constantly be updating to the latest model in order to keep up with studio trends and tools. My current goal is to build up a portfolio and have something to show by summer time. This is a self deadline.

In terms of what I am working with, I have the following...

3D Studio Max 2012

Zbrush 4.0

Photoshop CS5

For perspective, I fell off the 3D bandwagon around 2010 after taking and finishing a course at Seneca college, not because the course was awful -- the industry at the time took a lot of hits and lots of studio had been closing, which in tern affected my choice in terms of career path. I also wasn't very confident in my skills as a newbie in the field of 3D and sort of gave up, even though I cannot see myself doing anything else. So here I am again to give it another shot, the only way to get better is to keep at it, right?

At this point in time, my goal is to get into the video game industry as a 3D environment artist. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good leads to start to look at in terms of tips and tutorials for that specific field. Or just overall tips for starting fresh. (Again) Keep in mind I know how to use the software I currently am working with, so learning to use the tools won't be an issue (for the most part). I'm looking more for tips in terms of modelling for game design in mind.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Just on the tools;
    Absolutely update zbrush to the latest version you can.
    Photoshop, you could probably go either way, but remember that CC is a subscription service; possibly worth just sticking to your copy of CS5. Nothing that you need to have in the new version anyway.

For 3dsmax, I don't use it right now, but a lot of Autodesks updates are minor, negligible or break things. Possibly update, but keep your old copy just in case and look into the actual differences before committing.

Good luck by the way, man. Kudos for keeping at it!
  • Krait
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Just on the tools;
    Absolutely update zbrush to the latest version you can.
    Photoshop, you could probably go either way, but remember that CC is a subscription service; possibly worth just sticking to your copy of CS5. Nothing that you need to have in the new version anyway.

For 3dsmax, I don't use it right now, but a lot of Autodesks updates are minor, negligible or break things. Possibly update, but keep your old copy just in case and look into the actual differences before committing.

Good luck by the way, man. Kudos for keeping at it!

Cheers! Thank you for taking the time to read and reply. I'll look into updating my Zbrush!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Currently I know many people on older versions of autodesk software, I know a couple people that actually prefer 2012 Max specifically to newer versions for stability reasons for specific commonly used tools. (not sure which, as I am a Maya user) Sure new tools are added, some upgraded/updated, but that does not necessarily mean it is better. I know for a fact that I actually preferred the 2011 version of maya until 2014 came out. Now it is my modeling suite of choice, definitely over the new 2015 maya, it sucks. It just does. Some of the new tools are cool, the UV updates are awesome, but they have reorganized the UI, renamed tools, etc all unnecessarily. Seemingly to make it feel like it was a new version and not just a patched version of 2014.

I also use CS5 at work. It is more than enough, there are only two things in CS6 I prefer over CS5, the darker UI and the ability to Crt+J to duplicate entire groups, whereas you could only do that to specific layers before. Super super nitpicky.

I do agree zbrush only gets better with each revision, and they have made great attempts to keep it that way. Only releasing patches and updates when there is a legit reason to. zbrush 4r7 is pretty cool. it is the last major update before zbrush 5 comes out supposedly.

Other than that, not much has changed tool wise. the Quixel suite has come around since, and has made a HUGE impact on the workflow of texturing for a good portion of the industry, with PBR becoming the main build of materials now.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Add3r wrote: »
    definitely over the new 2015 maya, it sucks. It just does.

This. The last service pack make it less worse (but no one freaking update those) all the weird and random selection issue are fix, but still (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Krait
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r wrote: »
    the Quixel suite has come around since, and has made a HUGE impact on the workflow of texturing for a good portion of the industry, with PBR becoming the main build of materials now.

I'll have to look into that one, much appreciated. Thank you for the tips and replying!
  • Krait
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow wrote: »
    This. The last service pack make it less worse (but no one freaking update those) all the weird and random selection issue are fix, but still (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Noted, looks like I'll stick with the 2012 edition of Max then. Good to get an idea from the rest of the community. Thank you.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I see no harm in 10 bucks a month for the CC sub, i don't know if CS5 has it but CC has a nice bump to normal converter.

I'd only really recommend it if you're on windows 8 or something, since i think there's some pen related reasons. I need to check up on that though.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    With CC you have either have Windows Ink enabled in the Wacom prefs or you have to change a Photoshop config file to get your pressure sensitivity back. Not really a big deal, but there's really nothing new there that's worth upgrading for imo.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    I still use max 2012. There is literally no reason to really upgrade since everything available works on 2012. Even newer versions of max break some really useful scripts/plugins.

Quixel suite is good, imo I prefer substance painter. It's far more fun and feels more artistic in comparison.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Obviously there are many, many interesting packages out there, but if I were you I would get the following:
    * latest ZB Update, since you already use ZB
    * Quixel Suite, because it's the hot thing to use for texturing
    * since you're an env artist it can't hurt to look into PBR and a Gen 4 engine: UE4
  • Krait
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    Obviously there are many, many interesting packages out there, but if I were you I would get the following:
    * latest ZB Update, since you already use ZB
    * Quixel Suite, because it's the hot thing to use for texturing
    * since you're an env artist it can't hurt to look into PBR and a Gen 4 engine: UE4

I'll have to look into engines for sure, especially importing my future assets and tinkering with it all. Thank you for feedback, looks like I'll really have to pick up Quixel, never used it before. :)