Home Technical Talk

World Machine tutorials?

I would really appreciate some links as to where I can get a tutorial on creating 'AAA' game style terrains in world machine. I am getting better and better at using the tools that were included in the game engine that I use - I just want to learn world machine in order to save myself time going forward.

All help appreciated!

Replies

• Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I can't help you with tutorials but what i did is to open the examples and macros then analyzed and reverse engineered what they do. Going through the documentation step by step is also helpful. If you're familiar with node based material editing in UDK or UE4 for example you will find thers a lot of similarities with what the nodes do.

Ther's very rudimentary "modeling" tools which are easy to grasp and the rest is basicly procedural mask editing.
    I recommend you also download buzzcore's coloring macro and take a good look at what he's doing there with coloring and outputs.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111551
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    You can check out Dave Lesperance tutorial's Intro to World Machine.

It says intro but it's like 5 hours long and it gives you all the ins and outs of the software. It's the last item on the lower right of his page. I guess it's not game specific, but most of what he teaches in there can be applied to games. And if nothing else... he's got to be the coolest CG artist on earth. He's my personnal hero :thumbup:
  • strangeBits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaaaaaaaamn! This is IT! I will free up my sunday and get tore into this! Never hear of this guy before, thats some impressive work he has going on there!