Home General Discussion

How much time do you get making them assets?

loggie24
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
Hi. I am really curious about how much time you are given on assets you create in a studio. I feel like i'm rushing things a bit too often which degrades the quality.

Say, creating a tileable texture from high-poly? Sculpting and texturing rock assets? Obviously depends a bit on the complexity, i get that. Your experience is very valuable for me :)

Replies

• EarthQuake
    From days to weeks, it really depends on too many factors. Object complexity, art style, technical specs, experience level of the person doing the work, intended resolution/viewing distance, etc.

Rather than other people giving you vague numbers, it would probably be more productive if you took some time to outline how long it takes you to do an asset, and identify which parts are taking the most time, and then we can probably give you some pointers on improving your efficiency.

No matter if you're faster or slower than the next guy, there is always something you can to do work smarter and more efficiently.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    You'd be really surprised how forgiving larger AAA studios can be when it comes to time on an asset. If you give thorough and legit reasons for time spent on an asset or task, they will budget for it, especially for quality/efficiency/etc. Though, obviously there are deadlines, and they will not push a ship date for your one art asset usually. The art director or lead artist will usually be pretty clear on when they want an asset done. A vague time period an asset is given usually from start to in-game "done" is usually 3-4 days including the polish/tweak day once the asset is in the level and you go back to it at a later time to really bring it to the finish line. Smaller assets like crates and such, like 2-3 days tops. Hero assets, depending on a ton of circumstances, anywhere from 7-8 days to a month. Entirely based on experience, it absolutely varies.

Those are all vague, 100% circumstantial, and just all around ballpark averages. I have worked at a studio where turn around time was a day for small props, two days for medium/large, maybe 3 for larger env assets. That is from concept all the way to final in game "polished".
  • RN