Home Technical Talk

World Machine

I was creating some terrain with WM and I wanted to export the mesh with textures, but that's not really possible.

I was wondering if someone found the way around the problem.

When you export the mesh, uv's don't match color map or flow maps. Anyone knows a trick or two to match exported mesh UV's?

Replies

• Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Why are you trying to export the mesh? If you're going to use the terrain in a game engine it will most likely have some built-in functionality to optimize terrains with LODs, so in most cases you'd just want to import the heightmap instead. If you're not doing it for a game engine then just subdivide a plane a few times, unwrap it to fill the UV space and use the heightmap along with the rest of the textures on that.

It's much cheaper to store a heightmap than a full on mesh with normals and UVs and it's easier to utilize it efficiently so that's what I would recommend.
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I was going to export a full mesh for a background mountain image (kind of like they did in ue4 cave demo).
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    In fact, it's easier to store a mesh if it's a far-away background mountain.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take the depth map and displace a plane in zbrush, make a copy and decimate it to make the lowpoly, bake high to low to get normal, ao, etc.
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    What do you guys usually do with the diffuse? Normally, i apply the one generated from WM to the plane.