polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Minos polycounter lvl 16
Final Submission:

Temple of Utu
by Martin "MartinH" Holmberg & Thiago "Minos" Klafke

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGi1LON-fRw[/ame]

Summary:
Our environment takes place in a distant planet where a civilization was built upon a complex mythology based on the worship of their host star, Utu. This planet is surrounded by several moons each represented by a specific deity that plays a major role in controlling the planet's natural cycles. On the 333th day of each year, the rising sun shines directly on the throne, signaling the beginning of 7 days of darkness. This period which is believed to be the Underworld god Nedu returning to judge the recently deceased is in fact caused by a huge moon (also known as Nedu) eclipsing the host star and plunging the planet into darkness.

(Even though we didn't stick with the idea of the sun hitting the throne, the rest is still valid :) )

Software Used:
3ds Max, Zbrush, Unreal Engine 4, Xnormal, Photoshop, Bitmap2Material, 3D Coat, Quixel Suite.

I did experiment with Substance Painter for the Throne a bit but due to being super busy with crunch and GDC I ultimately dropped it since I'm not experienced with it yet. Still a great opportunity to get my hands on it and I'll be definitely integrating it into my pipeline!

Beauty Renders:
TempleOfUtu_Final_01.jpg
TempleOfUtu_Final_02.jpg
TempleOfUtu_Final_03.jpg

Throne Construction Shot:
TempleOfUtu_Final_04.jpg

Thanks Allegorithmic & Polycount for setting this up, We had a blast working on this! Really cool to see so many awesome entries and good luck everyone :)

---- Original post ---

Hey guys, me & MartinH are teaming up for this with "The Temple of Utu".

Summary:

Our environment takes place in a distant planet where a civilization was built upon a complex mythology based on the worship of their host star, Utu. This planet is surrounded by several moons each represented by a specific deity that plays a major role in controlling the planet's natural cycles. On the 333th day of each year, the rising sun shines directly on the throne, signaling the beginning of 7 days of darkness. This period which is believed to be the Underworld god Nedu returning to judge the recently deceased is in fact caused by a huge moon (also known as Nedu) eclipsing the host star and plunging the planet into darkness.

Blockout:

Our first blockout, which will probably change quite a bit, specially the throne area:
blockout_3dsmax.jpg

Moodboard:
moodboard.jpg

And some trims:
trim02_sculpt.jpg
trim03_sculpt.jpg

For this entry we will be using 3ds max, zbrush, photoshop and substance.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to a kickass contest :D

Replies

• [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Oh shit, this is gonna be one to keep an eye on.

Loving those blockouts, loving the planning you did for it too, shaping up to be awesome, good luck guys.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    So stoked for this, great contest with an awesome theme!
  • William3DArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    William3DArtist polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking awesome!!!
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Really looking forward to this one :)
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    Looking forward to this! HYPE!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Time for some update!

Testing out some trims:
    wallset02.jpg

+ bonus cat pic:
    charlie.jpg
  • Darkrusader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn!, those came out nice! :D
  • noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    yeah its looking nice for sure. The stone really came out well.
  • Huracan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stones works fine !
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Done. Ship it! :D

Really works well.
    Only crit I can give, which is infinitely small, perhaps one of the big square slabs should be rotated, so they don't both have the bottom right corner worn, and the other 3 corners less so.
    When I first looked at it, especially where the sun hits, the slabs read identical in everything but hue.

Really liking the feel of it so far :)
  • lopezmolano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work!! I like the colours a lot!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks for the kind words everyone :)

@Spoon: Good catch, that's an easy fix!

Finished up another trimset tonight:
    wallset03.jpg
    wallset04.jpg
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thiago is making me look like a freaking slacker over here, I wont stand for it!
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the throne sculpt i've been working on. Been really bad with updates, actually i've done NO updates but that will change now. There will be no more grand reveals from now on.

throne01.jpg

Looking forward to your feedback everyone. I'm having a blast with this comp and there's loads more to come very soon so stay tuned!

Also im having the same catproblems as Thiago, the damn thing wont stay off my tablet
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    nice progress, taking shape really fast :D
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking the shiiiiit!

Great work on those materials too, looking good in-game for sure.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, that shit is HOT. That stone looks REALLY nice!
  • Lilith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job guys
    Trims look awesome!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    ooo Thanks everyone :D

Martin is kicking ass on the throne, can't wait to see that bad boy textured!

Anyways, another day another update, here's the wallset for the temple room (the previous ones were just tests):
    wallset05.jpg
  • Geno527
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, this is impressive.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Geno527: Thanks :)

Alright, time for a new update! Spent the weekend putting the scene together with quick pieces and also started experimenting with lighting since it will play a major role in the scene.

Meanwhile Martin has been kicking ass with the throne getting all the bakes done. Major work for the throne area still needs to be done. Cool renders for the throne incoming soon!

Anyways, here are the latest screens, keep in mind that this is super rough and filled with placeholders.
    ThroneRoom_Unreal04.jpg
    ThroneRoom_Unreal03b.jpg
    ThroneRoom_Unreal05.jpg
    ThroneRoom_Unreal06.jpg
    ThroneRoom_Unreal07.jpg
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Seems like I was an idiot and saved pngs instead of jpgs... Sorry if the pics are too big, I'll fix them later when i get home :)
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Nice guys!! The materials are looking awesome :D
  • Bart Spellson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bart Spellson polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome guys ! love it !
  • jihel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jihel polycounter lvl 3
    I'm sure it's the cat which did everything ! =P
    great job guys !
  • AdamOstridge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamOstridge polycounter lvl 6
    Love the materials and lighting, keep it up! :D
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Great progress Minos. My slight concern for the last shot is that the throne is too far back to be an effective focal point. Moving it closer might help. Keep up the great work! :)
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks everyone :)

@d1ver: Agreed! The throne area still needs some major work, we will hit that up next :)

Anyways, here's a new update, started replacing some of the temp trim textures with unique ones:
    ThroneRoom_Unreal08.jpg
    ThroneRoom_Unreal09.jpg

+ bonus cat pic - he continues hard at work on the scene as jihel noted, eventually stepping on weird keyboard combinations that send the editor to hell and back:
    20150228_190605_resized.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good guys :)
  • Tepcio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tepcio polycounter lvl 8
    I love modelling/shaders on this one. Shadows on the walls might be a bit too noisy, changing the angle to cast more light on the floor may help. Just my 2 cents, it's not a big issue anyway. Can't wait for next progress, keep it up! :)
  • Khadyko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khadyko polycounter lvl 11
    Reminds me the God od War style - just amazing!!! Looking forward for a new updates!
  • Syros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    this is amazing, keep the goog work. don't you have plans for adding some supper color full point of interest to all this great scene? will it be the throne it self?
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a great point Syros. We're planning on getting some vegetation in there and possibly some banners as well for some material/color hits
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks everyone for the nice words :)

Here's a sphinx that will sit next to the throne:
    The sphinx represents the 4 major deities of the Utu civilization: the lion represents Utu (the sun god/god of men), the creature in the front represents the god of natural cycles and lesser creatures, the wings represent the goddess of ascension, while the man sniffing the creature's ass represents the god of the underwold. The face is believed to be Utu civilization's founder, "Urbarra", on a happy day.

- "Biluda the 3rd", Great Historian, Master Builder and Cosmologist

sphinx03.jpg
    sphinx04.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    No idea how I've missed this. Really awesome stuff so far.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Update time!

Really hard to list all the stuff that were added since the last update but I think the major additions are the backdrop buildings and balcony/throne area. We also did a major scale pass, hopefully this feels much better now!

Man... only two weeks to go. Exciting times ahead!

ThroneRoom_Unreal12.jpg

ThroneRoom_Unreal13.jpg

aaaand here's a sneak peek at what's coming next:
    11084340_1039860489360612_57698732_n.jpg?oh=43733a12693d83a8558f8329daad058e&oe=550E76DB&__gda__=1426946758_b22396cdeabe996eceadfa10f17c9023
    dome.jpg
  • LunaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LunaZ polycounter lvl 3
    really awesome work!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Woah..... This is furiously well done!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Jeeez man, I put socks on just so they could get blown off. This is really coming together!
  • Polygons-Pusher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygons-Pusher polycounter lvl 11
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fanimalsreact.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F05%2Fthis-tastes-so-good.gif&f=1

Damn God of War 5 really look amazing.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking really, really good. Major props.

Some critiques:

The plants look a bit too "clean" and artificial at the moment. I do like having plants there though, to contrast the rigidity and cleanliness of the marble.

The cupola over the throne itself makes the applied texture look not believable. The slabs of marble work great for the floor, but it looks like a texture on the cupola. Especially considering the intricacies of the rest of the palace.
    That said the fact that it's got less detail brings the throne into good focus, it's just that the texture right now is not a perfect match.

92ycmU3.jpg
    The way this section curves also gives the texture a distortion that shatters the illusion that it's sculpted details instead of an image.

These are nitpicks though. Again, it looks absolutely fantastic. Great job!
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    I'm in love. This is easily the best thread running in the comp right now. Or it's atleast wayyyyy way up there. Your mood and lighting are so impeccable. Looking at your key beauty shots, I just want to run around this place and explore!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I'm curious about the lighting. Do you use a lot of "fake" bounces for popping things out/ reinforcing focal points?
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Wow, thanks everyone for the nice words :) Glad you like it!

@Noodle!: Thanks a bunch of the crits, those are really valid points and most have been fixed in the latest version :)

@anglorum: I'll be exploring making a VR version once the contest is over. Really stoked about that :)

@Spoon: As of now it's mostly just a directional light, color grading and very few fill lights.

edit:
    Here's a comparison of the level with and without color grading:
    color_grading01.jpg

With that being said though, here are some useful tips to get better lighting results:
    - Set all your static lights, except the directional, to Static. Default for new lights is Stationary, but you get more lightmap complexity and much better performance with static.
    - Add a skylight and set it to static. This will take a cubemap of your skybox and use it as an ambient light. I found you get better results with static than stationary.
    - Crank up the indirect influence of the skylight and directional just a bit, to 1.3 or so. If you do too much it will look washed out though.
    - An easy way to get quicker bakes without sacrificing quality too much is increasing the map scale in lightmass settings to 1.5. (set it back to 1 when doing final bakes)
    - Make sure you have enough reflection probes to cover all your metallics, those are responsible for the nice highlights you see on the golden trims.

I've been working on a new ceiling this weekend and integrating Martin's new dome into the map better. I'll post some breakdowns later tonight!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Update time! We made a lot of progress in the past few days, polished a lot of stuff and got a new ceiling. Looks much more structurally sound than the previous "hole" :P

(This is a medium setting light bake so bear with me)

ThroneRoom_Unreal15.jpg

The ceiling is made from just a few pieces (the big dome was broken up into smaller bits for lightmap purposes)
    ceiling_breakdown01.jpg

Just for kicks, here's a cool vista screenshot of the backdrop. Martin did a really kickass job with these but we never showed them properly before, so here they are! We want to polish them up further by adding more materials, vines and props if we have enough time (which seems a bit unlikely now :/)
    backdrop01.jpg

Still quite a bit of stuff left to make/polish and time's running short so we need to start picking our battles. The floor and receded areas to the side will get a big facelift soon!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot for your explanation on your lighting, Minos. Very helpful :)
    I have no idea how color grading works, though, so that will be my weekend task, I guess :)

I hope you don't change the floor too much, it is what I like the most about the entire scene!
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work Mino and Martin! Lovely stuff. Looks like a REALLY believable environment, the lighting is gorgeous.

One minor crit, I think the foliage could do with another pass. Looks lower quality than the rest of the stuff in the scene. I'd expect it to look a little thicker, I think.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Alright guys, here is our final submission! I'll be posting more pics later on because these don't show everything that there is to see in the level :)

Temple of Utu
    by Martin "MartinH" Holmberg & Thiago "Minos" Klafke

WIP Thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148195

Summary:

(Even though we didn't stick with the idea of the sun hitting the throne, the rest is still valid :) )

Software Used:
    3ds Max, Zbrush, Unreal Engine 4, Xnormal, Photoshop, Bitmap2Material, 3D Coat, Quixel Suite.

I did experiment with Substance Painter for the Throne a bit but due to being super busy with crunch and GDC I ultimately dropped it since I'm not experienced with it yet. Still a great opportunity to get my hands on it and I'll be definitely integrating it into my pipeline!

Beauty Renders:
    TempleOfUtu_Final_01.jpg
    TempleOfUtu_Final_02.jpg
    TempleOfUtu_Final_03.jpg

Throne Construction Shot:
    TempleOfUtu_Final_04.jpg

Thanks Allegorithmic & Polycount for setting this up, We had a blast working on this! Really cool to see so many awesome entries and good luck everyone :)
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, this has some of the best lighting in the contest. Captured the mood perfectly, great job guys!