Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warmachine (Khador)

Hello there guys!

Just wanted to share a recent personal project. I really like warmachine. I've never played the tabletop game, but i love the art, and the models, so I wanted to make one of my own ;). I'll begin to say that i'm in no way affiliated with Privateer press, this is purely fanart.
And my deepest apologies to any warmachine buffs out there, the design is based on a Khador warjack, but it is no way 100%, i'm afraid. I took abit of liberty in the design ;).
Modeled and rendered in modo,"painted" in substance designer, and some small post effects in photoshop (depthpass and background blur).

(this will be posted to modos forums aswell!)

Hope you like it!

/Sennin

vdWxebE.jpg

Replies

• Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    The model looks good, but I feel that it's a bit too dark. I'm not sure if it's badly lit or if it's the textures that are too dark. He could probably use some kind of accenting secondary color as well as he looks kind of boring with pretty much just red, brown and dark grey.

I'm not very familiar with Warmachine but AFAIK it's supposed to be more steampunk than regular old sci-fi so the barrels look very out of place IMO. I think you should switch out your metal barrels with wooden ones instead to push the fantasy side a bit more.
    The ground could be improved with some longer, wild grass and maybe few flowers and/or a small bush to break it up a bit. I would also prop up skeleton besides one of the barrels to make it more apparent and look a bit more interesting.

Lastly I can't tell at all what he is holding in his hands so maybe you might need to revisit that.

He's looking good so far, but keep on pushing him a bit more and you'll end up with a great portfolio piece.
  • sennin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the great feedback Nosslak!

I'll begin and say Lighting is one of my weaker sides ;). Although the thought with the lighting setup is that I wanted it abit dark with bright orangeish backlightning, to simulate a war environment (maybe a vehicle thats burning in the background or oilspill that's caught fire). I've tried to stay to the feel of Khador red, like they have in the released images of warmachine tactics, but that might not be so apparent here with the lighting!
    Thanks for the comments on the environment! I don't really feel that the barrels are out of place (warmachine having alot of factory heavy metal environments ;) ) but maybe it's better to stick in a few crates, instead that are easier to connect to fantasy!

The thing he's holding in his hand is a form of a turret/machinegun, I'll definetly look in to that.

Thanks again for the helpful constructive critisism it's really highly appreciated.

/sennin