Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Justin VS ZBrush - a sketchbook

Replies

• Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Bouncing off what Gir is saying about the metal, if you turn down the glossiness I think it will look better. In your earlier WIP shots the metal parts read more like metal. IMO, the metal on this guy is probably pretty old and worn so it shouldn't be as shiny/reflective as it is now. Maybe even add a slight bit of rust to it so you get some really nice material definition?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks, I'm struggling with the translucency/sub-dermal stuff, I had a feeling it was a bit too much. It either seems too extreme or so subtle to be unnoticeable. Here's an update with all the maps I'm using in case I'm doing something wrong
    frankenstein13.png
    frankmaps01.png
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    I think that came out great! :)
    I would perhaps do a different material for the inside of the skin, where the tubes are pulled through. Right now it's not really clear if those are open cuts or healed over. I'd either do some scar tissue or make a thin layer of colored upper skin and then something else underneath.
    I'm not really sure if the skull is glowing from some light source inside (which would be cool, I think) or if this is simply a shift in color.
  • RocketBryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    I am loving this thread, Justin!

I'm in a similar position of only JUST starting to really make the leap into ZBrush...though I'm fairly new to character work in general. This is super inspiring to see and I think I'll go ahead and start my own sketchbook thread in the next few weeks too. =)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I think you could put a lot more love into the gloss/roughness map. Really, this is the most important texture when it comes to defining the qualities of the surface. Right now it looks like its mostly a cavity overlay with some small tweaks there. For something like skin, the roughness would be relatively even, with glossier areas where the skin is smoother or more oily (same thing really, oil fills in crevices and smooths out the surface). It looks like your roughness map is defining the convex surfaces of the skin as smoother, is there a logical reason why that would be the case?

For the metal, you could add a lot more variation in the roughness. Metal really starts to look nice with some high contrast scrapes and scuffs in the roughness.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops, the last few posts slipped by me! I did some more work on the roughness today, the preview is in substance because my toolbag 2 trial ran out. I contacted support about my v1.5 invoice ID not working for the upgrade.

Frank_Roughness01.gif
    frankenstein14.png
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sick of it yet? I redid the metal and did a bunch of tweaks in Substance Painter then pooped him into UE4 with the help of the Polycount Hangout crew. Thanks for the help!

frankenstein15.png
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    local reflections from the white floorplane look weeeeeird....
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    To be honest I liked it better without the heavy rust but that might be mainly about the colors. (Also it doesn't seem to influence the reflections/specularity too much.)

And even more subjective: I kinda liked the painted claymation metal look you had a couple of versions before.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I toned down the rust and added some more roughness variation on the right, left side is the more hand painted styled metal. I also swapped the floor out for a nice brick one :)

frankenstein16.png
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sick of this yet? I finally coughed up the money for Toolbag 2 (I was using the trial before). I got tired of struggling with UE4 light baking making it look almost good enough but not quite. So final Frankenstein render

Frank01.png
    Frank02.png
    Frank_Maps.png

I think my next post will be a new thread for a new project, this balooned past a sketchbook of zbrush learning.
  • Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    He turned out great! I wonder what you will work on next :)
  • JVoye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks Outstanding, great work!
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7