Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tileable texture, portfolio worthy?

loggie24
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
Hi there. I'm currently building a portfolio as an environment artist. I'm planning on creating different types of tileable textures, props, rocks, vegetation and maybe some high-poly stuff later on.

I just finished a tilable texture, i'd like to call it a smooth stone floor. My main question is, as i'm trying to build the best possible portfolio, is it worthy to be posted?

I want to know this to have the best possible idea of what's expected for an environment artist.

screen03_zps1b7aafb4.png

screen02_zps0902b576.png

screen04_zps04a01113.png

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Truthfully, no it isn't strong enough or interesting enough to stand on it's own in a portfolio. If you want to showcase a tileable texture in your portfolio it ought to show some significant sculpting skills or be in some other way very impressive. The texture you posted is certainly not bad, but it looks like a pretty straight forward workflow using a modified photo to create geometry. You should build a small environment or diorama and use it as one of the textures in the scene as a way to show it off.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! I agree it's a bit booring and straight forward, that's what i had in mind when looking at some references. Overall quiet happy with the result tbh. I will probably do as you say and use it in a scene instead. Thanks!

While were at it, i have a rock i made a few days ago, care to rate it?

screen08_zpsefb56966.png

Once again, maybe a bit booring?
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    It's a really serviceable rock, but on its own probably a bit boring yeah. So essentially the same critique as what AlecMoody said for the tileable texture IMO, if you were to use it as part of a more interesting scene then that scene could certainly lead to a portfolio piece, but on its own it doesn't really stand out.
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 12
    "I want to know this to have the best possible idea of what's expected for an environment artist."
    I think the way this post has started (with a simple texture) and now a rock. Are these the only 3d things you have done? Are you just starting 3D? When you don't already have a portfolio, I would assume that means because you don't have any other prior work. A tiled texture of any sort is not impressive by any means. Now if you take nice tiled textures and build stuff and show an understanding of technical skills all around in design, 3d skill, execution, lighting, then you have a portfolio. I would focus on building an actual environment and get feedback as you build it. A house, a concept art image you find.

A rock and texture don't mean anything on their own, even a single amazing character doesn't mean anything. You need a variety of several complete pieces. I think you are rushing thinking you can just slap a portfolio together and get a job. It will take some time to get there. Create a desert scene with lots of rocks could be a good start. Add some plants etc.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, i don't have a portfolio. I have been doing 3D for about 2 years as a simple hobby, but only recently started doing it a bit seriously.

I was simply wondering because i see a lot of portfolios with single pieces like the ones i showed. Out of curiosity i was trying to find the level i needed to be at by getting some pieces critted. Simple as that.

And no, i'm not "rushing" at all. I still have a few good years before i am going to search for a job, in other words a lot of time to get my skills up to par. I'm not claiming or trying to be an amazing artist with what i have shown you. You are misunderstanding my goal with this post
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    the best thing to have in a portfolio as an environmental artist is environments, not just props or just textures. Also when making environments think about composition. If you can get those things down then your portfolio will kill. LITERALLY!
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 12
    "I was simply wondering because i see a lot of portfolios with single pieces like the ones i showed. Out of curiosity i was trying to find the level i needed to be at by getting some pieces critted. Simple as that."

I see a lot of people starting out with 3D portfolios doing a gun and maybe a rock like you said, small things. If you have time to grown, then keep going. The thread seemed to be based on the word portfolio, instead of just critiquing artwork. If you continue posting, then don't worry about "portfolio worthy", people just critique art.

It is impossible to really critique the two items you have posted just as is. When they are applied to a scene it is much more easy to critique what is missing. There was a huge thread here of people posting rocks recently if you search, you can see what some other people did with some really fancy rocks.