Home Technical Talk

How to configure the computer's hardware for 4k textures project

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
explorer3d polycounter lvl 13
hello everyone.our team will handle a project that need every texture size in 4k resolution with PBR render.so the computer hardware bothered me.we will purchase a batch new computer.I want to know how to configure the computer's hardware for 4k textures project.Especially graphics card,memory.I hope you guys can give me help.thanks

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I think a SSD and RAM is most important, to write/read source files and textures. When baking in 4K in 3dsmax you'll wait a few good minutes until the file is written, or you'll wait until you save a PSD or update a preview.
  • explorer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer wrote: »
    I think a SSD and RAM is most important, to write/read source files and textures. When baking in 4K in 3dsmax you'll wait a few good minutes until the file is written, or you'll wait until you save a PSD or update a preview.
    Thanks huffer. so can you recomend how big SSD(128GB?) and memory(16GB?)
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cube Republic polycounter lvl 11
    Does max use CPU to bake? If it does then more cores will speed up the baking process. X99 platform with an 8 core i7/Xeon would be amazing. Most modern computers use an SSD for the operating system. I'd go for 256GB. For storage of the images a regular hard drive will do.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I use 250gb for windows, programs and the working project and it's big enough for now. I think an X99 platform is overkill, a good old i7 4790 on 1150 socket has plenty of power. From my experience, the biggest downtimes were when accesing the hard drive for read/write. If you have a large .psd 4k document you'll wait a lot to open/save/update. 16GB should be enough RAM too.
  • explorer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's good information.I got it.BTW so grphic card is not key factor for 4k project right? e.g .may i use Nvidia gtx 750i can handle it? or you recommend which one? thank you .
  • Ashaman73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    explorer3d wrote: »
    It's good information.I got it.BTW so grphic card is not key factor for 4k project right? e.g .may i use Nvidia gtx 750i can handle it? or you recommend which one? thank you .
    It depends on the tools you use. Are your tools utilizing GPUs to speed up processing (eg through Cuda) ? If this is the case, and you need to evaluate how much benefits you gain from using an high-end videocard.

I think, that in the standard art pipeline the videocard is less important, because most is handles in main-memory and by the CPU. Memory bandwidth and speed could be more important.
  • explorer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Ashaman73 thanks your remind.we are going to use xnormal for bake.However i'm not did a serious test about CUDA render.I want to know 2 question.
    1. Just like a hard surface modeling bake in 4K texture.GPU CUDA render can save a lot time than CPU bucket render?(Noraml,AO,vertex color,etc)
    2.How the quality of bake texture IF CUDA bake really faseter than CPU bake.(Because the hard surface bake need the quality more than
    organic modeling in 4k )