Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Major Ziggs

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone. First time entering the wild west that is the Polycount Competitions, and I hope it's going to be a fun one.

Ziggs_2.jpg

And with this guy, oh it shall be.

Best of luck everyone, I expect alot of learning from this one!

Replies

• Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick moodboard to give you guys an idea of what I'd like to reference for making Major Ziggs.

Clotukr.png

Now to figure out how to begin....
  • Sarankan
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarankan polycounter lvl 6
    hey dude best of luck on this! i remember u from that twitch stream:)
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooray! Update! Albeit a small one, blocking out proportions, started with Zspheres until i got the shape I needed, pulled out forms and dynameshed today to start getting the proportions correct so I can start detailing somewhat of a base mesh. I haven't exactly planned too far ahead what my next move is, I'll just see how things go.

Goc7Sa9.png
    Sarankan wrote: »
    hey dude best of luck on this! i remember u from that twitch stream:)

Thanks man! :) I'm always at the Haz streams chillin' when I can.
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Made what I feel was alot of progress today and steps in the right direction, already I'm surprised myself at how much I changed compared to earlier today!
    Lb3u8ZK.png
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since my last update, I guess I'm really slow worker, still so much more to even block out.

Likelihood of making it in for the contest is pretty slim at this rate. But I'm still trying my best and getting out of these funks.

DANG ALL THESE AWESOME ENTRIES!!!!
    j47yt2Z.png
    iLTQkBB.png

Enjoy! Still having fun despite all blockades or frustrations here and there. :)
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    In the process of making the bombs, I'm unsure whether to go with the traditional cartoony round bombs Ziggs already has or doing something else like since he has a sort of germanic uniform maybe an M24 Grenade?

aa491ee0dbb84ea63c7888d7233346a4.jpg

Or maybe like a pineapple grenade?

a60ced84984eaf78be93a68e0af256ba.jpg

I'm open to any suggestions here.
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    EjipKtq.png?1

Made both grenades, cos why not, which one looks better?

*tumbleweeds*
  • Buddhas_Belly
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    3maurdb.png

Final High Poly Complete! Onto retop, and stuff, then do some polypaint and then bake!

Hopefully I can make it in!

tB4B6qK.jpg
    SU3Wg8x.jpg
    vrQwu5D.jpg
    nv3T76E.jpg
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    lMonG28.png

I'm not too sure about this topology so far on the lowpoly and I'm just checking to see if this is either a complete mess or its fine. I will do some heavy cutdown on the polycount once I'm done, but I wanna know if this is clean topology.
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    TbK6Dzj.png

Finally finished re-topo'ing this baby, now to UV it, but I don't think I've got much time left. I'm gonna have to maybe admit defeat on this one.

I'm sorry I let anyone interested down.
  • Enalya
    Naw I know the feeling and the competition is so good, but you did a nice job and workflow :) And it's always good to start something, right ^^
  • pedrocandelaria
    Dude i think you can still do it! Just one final push!! It keeps getting better with each update and I think you can end up with a really cool model by the end! :)
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Enalya wrote: »
    Naw I know the feeling and the competition is so good, but you did a nice job and workflow :) And it's always good to start something, right ^^
    Dude i think you can still do it! Just one final push!! It keeps getting better with each update and I think you can end up with a really cool model by the end! :)

Thanks for the support guys, it's actually really reassuring to read. I'm gonna try as much as I can to get this done whilst juggling a ton of work. Hopefully we can get some unwraps and bakes done today!
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys quick update/problem, and I know it's too little too late, but I have these baking issues when it comes to baking the fur/body. I tried to make a cage, that didn't work it only made it worse, I separated the spiky hair bits from the body to make it a separate bake file, that didn't work, and I tried with and without ray distance calculation which only make the problem either still the same or worse.

Indicated below are what appears to be the spiky hair bits being projected onto the mesh itself on areas behind those spiky hair bits.

I'm not sure how to fix this, any suggestions?

0PyIikw.png
    q1xpkeC.png
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    I concede my entry.
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    I made it a point of myself not to give up, not to stop until it was done, and it is. Finally. Although I didn't make the deadline, heck its far past being over. I wanted to finish what I started, university got in the way once the deadline passed, then the new year, work and other personal things, but for the past couple of weeks I decided to really have a go.

It's probably the first character I've ever taken to game res and fully textured. So, C&C is welcome, I know I made alot of mistakes which i can see clearly now, and hopefully I'll apply my lessons to the next project, but any advice is welcomed.

So. Damn. Happy. Its over.

matthew-karlson-finalposes.jpg?1424296891matthew-karlson-finalhighpoly.jpg?1424296778matthew-karlson-finalwireframe.jpg?1424296784matthew-karlson-finalcomposites.jpg?1424296775[SKETCHFAB]e0825e86c6504e40a3cbf80c32e596d0[/SKETCHFAB]