Home Technical Talk

Modo Scaling

I am trying to scale two polys together to bring the edges closer in, I've tried all the action centers and setting the workplane to selection and again using all the action centers, nothing has worked so far. I would really appreciate some help with this one! The bottom image is usually the deformation I end up with, and the top is how the polys look originally.

Ks3wxkI.png

mmPI3CR.png

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    You've basically already tried what i was going to suggest haha.
    Try scaling the vertices, you might get a different result, failing that reset preferences maybe?
  • Niong108
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Niong108 null
    If scaling vertices does not work maybe try with moving the edges. move the top edge down and than the bottom up by using the local action center. It should work.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Alt+X (Local Action Center)
  • axxic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure I've already tried the local action center but I will try it again when I get home. I was wondering, is it possible to make a tool preset or script that activates two tools in modo at the same time? I think if the slide and scale tools were activated together it would solve this problem.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could try selecting the short edges and scaling them using local action centre.

Not certain why it's not working with local scrub centre on just the polygon...
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Alt-x, if it doesn't work perfectly then Alt-e and before scaling click on the vertical edge connecting those two parallel edges you wanted to scale.

you might have a polygon with no parallel edges so whatever you do either one of corners tend to skew visibly because of oblong shape. in that case I'd just use slide tool to bring the edges closer one by one.
  • axxic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer, that worked! I have no idea why it isnt working either, I'm sure I've done it before. Maybe I messed something up in the preferences. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Don't forget about the "ATL-Spacebar" shortcut, it will give you a menu where you can pick origin, local, pivot, etc, etc, etc.

This happens all the time in Modo, the scale at which you work is not compatible with smaller pieces vs larger chunks on the same mesh. I frequently have to go in Preferences --> Input --> Units and change the increments.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This happens all the time in Modo, the scale at which you work is not compatible with smaller pieces vs larger chunks on the same mesh. I frequently have to go in Preferences --> Input --> Units and change the increments.
    Really? I've never done that. I'm curious what the specific issue is that you're seeing.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Yeah I haven't had to do that either. If the polygons in the OP are planar Local action center should work perfectly.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I wholeheartly agree with both of you, but there's a little something happening with using a bevel or scaling operations on smaller detailed pieces on a mesh.

I sometime have to compensate with manually changing the values while working ...