Home Technical Talk

3DS Max Target weld issue

Hi everyone!

I'm new in 3D modelling, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I need to connect walls with ground for a platformer game. I decided to use target weld for this, because it seems like an easiest way. But there is an issue:

6wjtkR0NpqxuAYVNWKh6xz74MsidY.jpg

When I'm welding two vertices like this, I expect selected polygon to be deleted, but instead it collapses to zero-width one, so vertices don't really welds, they just both moved to one place.

The question is: is there a modifier or tool to remove all these thin polygons, or I should stop using target weld?

Sorry for any language mistakes.

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I can't reproduce your problem. Target weld works for me when I do what your are doing above. I do however have a script that delete zero area faces. Just select the objects you want to run it on, and drag the script from Windows Explorer into the viewport.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2904948/MaxScript/Modeling_DeleteDegenerateFaces.ms

BTW, save your scene before you use it, and there may be some verts you need to weld after.
  • HAHAYOUDEAD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the script!

Apparently, I don't understand how the target weld works. I just applied the Reset XForm modifier to object from the first screenshot, and now target weld just won't connect vertices at all. Is it somehow depends on coordinates?
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Make sure there aren't any other vertices anywhere on the polygon (more than 8 on the whole mesh) and remove them if they are. It could be a topology problem, you could also select all vertices and weld with a low threshold to see if the polygon dissappears. In general, you can't weld two vertices in max that don't have an edge connecting them, that could happen, it might be a topology issue like so (exaggerated):

TOP.jpg
  • HAHAYOUDEAD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for response, huffer.

There is no topology issues as far as I can tell, it's exactly 8 vertices in my model, and faces are not flipped. Although, I've tried to exported my thing as FBX, and imported in new scene, target weld works as expected. I assume, there is some other kind of trouble in my original scene.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    You could have a face with flipped normals, or a polygon overlapped behind the ones you see, but if there are no issues and it doesn't work I usually convert to editable mesh then back to poly and it kinda resets some issues. :)
  • HAHAYOUDEAD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, when I exported it as FBX, it was editable mesh, so I converted it to editable poly and it fixed the model. Thanks for help!

This is some strange trouble with welding though