Home Technical Talk

Maya LT - UV Techniques

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ScrotieFlapWack polycounter lvl 5
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some advice or help on UV techniques. I know the whole process is relatively simple but I was wondering if there are any 'tricks of the trade' for UV'ing models quickly.

I have a low poly asset I want to UV, there is a lot of faces which go in different directions (from extrudes etc.) My usual way of UV'ing simple, boxy looking models is just to select faces and choose my projection.

The model I have right now has some steps at the bottom (it is a pillar), I have been selecting a face doing a planar projection and selecting another face which is facing another direction and doing a planar and then getting my shells. Once I have done all my projections I will go to my UV shells and start sewing and moving shells around. It is a long and tedious process. I was wondering what techniques/workflows do you guys use when you are UV'ing.

I hate automatic projection because it creates a mess and I don't know what is what, just throwing that in there :)

Replies

• antweiler
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    Your technique sounds valid. If there are not thousands of tiny faces id give automapping a try. If necessary do further cuts. Make sure highlight texture borders is ON!
    Select faces you want to become a shell in the viewport, Move and sew them, move them to the side, until no isolated face is left. After that cleanup and undistort of the shells and layout.
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Offline / Send Message
    ScrotieFlapWack polycounter lvl 5
    antweiler wrote: »
    Your technique sounds valid. If there are not thousands of tiny faces id give automapping a try. If necessary do further cuts. Make sure highlight texture borders is ON!
    Select faces you want to become a shell in the viewport, Move and sew them, move them to the side, until no isolated face is left. After that cleanup and undistort of the shells and layout.

Awesome thanks for the info. Right now checking for distortion of shells isn't much of an issue for me as its simple geometry I am dealing with, very low poly assets that I use to bake from high poly assets :D