Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for feedback/ideas

Hey, i'm just looking for critique on this model I started today, i know that my technique needs improvement, i'm currently a student but was just wanting to know what people thought was the best way to go on this tri rotor's "arms",
i put my render and pres sheet here if anyone wants to give any feedback on my technique for that.

I just don't think it seems like it would work in the real world, but was just wondering how i could make it seem more robust with out but still aerodynamic.

image.png
Tri_Rotor_Concepts.png

Replies

• A l e x
  • A l e x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've updated my design if anyone want's to make any comments on how to improve my work. instead of a 33% spacing i thought that the wings and rudder style gave it the feel of an osprey.

The point of this asset btw is an enemy in a fps game in ue4, and the model will be as is with no normal map only a diffuse and spec, as i'm still learning the process.
    Trirotor2ps.png
  • KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    Making some good steps with it! keep it up! :D
  • ShawnH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi A l e x! I like the way it's going so far and I think my biggest question with the design is how will it turn left or right? Right now it feels it can only move up and down, maybe forward if the back propeller spins faster than the rest. I think if you made the side propellers able to rotate forward and back, like an osprey almost, it would give it a more functional look, if that makes sense. Other than that good job, keep it up!
  • A l e x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kellogg,

Hi Shawn thanks for the reply, I've put together an image showing how i think the rotors would function, the render didn't really show how they were connected, although i think a more ball and socket joint would be more functional, i would have to remodel the whole rotor section and arms, i think that the way they would rotate atm would work?

movement.png
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    I would bring the front rotors a little more to the front.
    At the moment the drone looks like they will fell over at the front.

Maybe take a look at the V-Tail Rotor Drones, they have a similar layout
  • A l e x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aircraft.osprey.678pix.jpg

this is the style i was trying to mimic, my back propeller may be surplus to requirement and if the two side rotors were rotated in reverse direction, rotation would be achieved, but i think for a smaller air vehicle the extra rotor may make it more stable and agile. also just too be clear the scale of my asset would be the same as the rotor drones in the call of duty series.
  • A l e x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dethling, thanks these v rotors reference will really help.
  • ShawnH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Alex, ok I see now how its supposed to work, that matches up with what I was trying to say. The way you have them designed to move/rotate I think works great. You may need to remodel the rotor areas like you said to convey that concept a little better. Just something simple in the shape change where it connects like in a real osprey I think will sell your design a lot better. I agree with Dethling also, pulling those front rotors forward a bit will add some balance to design.

Other wise keep up the awesome work, can't wait to see how it turns out.