Home General Discussion

How can i earn for a month as a 3D artist

Hey guys i am interesting in becoming a 3D artist in a Studio or if i can't at least as a freelancer in future,so since i got no experience as a Cg artist i like to know how much i can earn for a Month/year as a average 3D artist? is it enough to make a living?
Like i said i am just a 18 years old Guy who is interesting in the world of CG.So i like to Know how's the PAY before i get into this Thanks :) and Pls be Open lol :D

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    This link may help you: http://www.gamasutra.com/salarysurvey2014.pdf

Understand some areas are more expensive to live than in others so the same money in one place that could give you a good lifestyle may only give you a decent life style in other places.
  • vskdharmasena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    This link may help you: http://www.gamasutra.com/salarysurvey2014.pdf

Understand some areas are more expensive to live than in others so the same money in one place that could give you a good lifestyle may only give you a decent life style in other places.

I live in Sri lanaka :D a very non expensive country but i do plan to Bring my family to US or UK someday whatever that doesn't mean anything.it would be great to hear from some guys who is working in the industry for quite some time and how is their pay is if it is OK
    thanks and long live Polycount.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    The salary survey is pretty damn accurate for a good portion of the industry, based on US rates. Not sure what rates are like in the UK, but from what it sounds like, they are a little bit lower sadly. As there are many many topics like this already across the PC forums, would recommend reading through some other threads started already as there is a gold mine of information on smart living choices related to location/commutes/hub cities, and also rate/salary discussions.

Usually, pretty hard to find an game dev that will openly talk about their salary and what not. But most of us make it by. Not the best paying profession or what most of us could be doing with our skill set, but the thrill of the job is what makes it all worth it. That is just me being brutally honest.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Usually, the pay isn't bad, if you can get employed. Or if you are good and get commissioned regularly. Or you're famous and sell assets a lot.

Otherwise...
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Noodles for breakfast lunch and dinner
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Noodles for breakfast lunch and dinner

My mum doesn't make that...
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    ^Are we being serious about that diet change, because that legitmately scary. This is coming from someone who's used to cooking for himself.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    There's other stuff as cheap as ramen that's way healthier for you. I usually have oatmeal for breakfast, some form of rice and frozen chicken for lunch, some mixture of canned vegetable for dinner, and homemade bread or fruit for snacks. Not necessarily in that order or combination. Eggs, beans and milk are all cheap too.
    Every meal is under a dollar. Some under $0.50.

You'd literally die if you ate ramen for every meal. Hell, it'd probably happen if you ate ramen for two out of three.
    Not that I'm taking that comment literally, but that's just how bad ramen is for you.
    Negligible nutritional value, and nearly a full day's worth of sodium in one block.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    pays enough where I don't really have to worry about money much. I had an $8 bbq sandwich for lunch today, it was magnificent.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin, where the heck do you work? Cuz out in LA, it's $10 for a decent lunch.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    There's other stuff as cheap as ramen that's way healthier for you. I usually have oatmeal for breakfast, some form of rice and frozen chicken for lunch, some mixture of canned vegetable for dinner, and homemade bread or fruit for snacks. Not necessarily in that order or combination. Eggs, beans and milk are all cheap too.
    Every meal is under a dollar. Some under $0.50.

You'd literally die if you ate ramen for every meal. Hell, it'd probably happen if you ate ramen for two out of three.
    Not that I'm taking that comment literally, but that's just how bad ramen is for you.
    Negligible nutritional value, and nearly a full day's worth of sodium in one block.

Still not related to the thread but adding to it: My uncle ate mostly Ramen for years as his primary meals because hes a cheep ass that would rather have his fancy phone and the latest game systems and It destroyed him. His skin is crap and now has HBP and a bit overweight.

Please avoid this garbage at all costs please
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin, where the heck do you work? Cuz out in LA, it's $10 for a decent lunch.

I'm in Austin and that's an expensive sandwich! LA is one of the most expensive cities in the US. Since it's a big gaming hub that's probably what skews the perception that game dev doesn't pay much.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think we could both agree, Justin, cooking lunch on our own is probably cheaper for the same volume.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pays enough where I don't really have to worry about money much. I had an $8 bbq sandwich for lunch today, it was magnificent.

living large lol
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also own a 2,000 sq/ft house with a 10k gal in ground pool. Mortgage is less per month than my one bedroom apartment up in Fairfax, VA.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my rent in Newport news is 1250 for 1600 sqft 3 bdrm 2.5 bath. I live with my wife for now and we make enough to survive but not alot of extra spending cash but we have 2 school loans to pay for. She had a smaller job since she came with me after quitting her job in chicago.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I also own a 2,000 sq/ft house with a 10k gal in ground pool. Mortgage is less per month than my one bedroom apartment up in Fairfax, VA.

Currently living in the DC Metro area... ugh. Unforgivingly high cost of living.

Your pay is really going to be based on location, I've found.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope the Bethesda culture makes up for it. All the videos make it look like ya'll in general are really genial.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Dude, my friends were NOT kidding when they said Texas had cheap land.

You guys are getting screwed by a drought right now though, right? (Watching from VICE News)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, my friends were NOT kidding when they said Texas had cheap land.

You guys are getting screwed by a drought right now though, right? (Watching from VICE News)

Looking at the drought map, California is getting hit worst. I think I'd have to take a 5-6 hour drive to see some of that stuff that's in the Vice video.

BUT I should stop, we've already got enough Californians living in Austin. We're full *puts up closed sign
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting back on topic, assuming I get paid a minimum of $20 hour with my experience level and age, I calculate $45,000 a year as a "salary."

I up to this point will probably not reach that target easily.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Remember on top of your regular income tax....Self employment tax is 15.3%..also need to take into account cost of opperating...Software..Hardware..etc....also, as a freelancer, you are not always going to be working 40 hours a week for 52 weeks (or however many weeks are in a year)....

20$ isnt going to add up to 45k a year unless you have a solid year long contract that you work your ass off on
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10

Fuck yeah :thumbup:
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    Remember on top of your regular income tax....Self employment tax is 15.3%..also need to take into account cost of opperating...Software..Hardware..etc....also, as a freelancer, you are not always going to be working 40 hours a week for 52 weeks (or however many weeks are in a year)....

20$ isnt going to add up to 45k a year unless you have a solid year long contract that you work your ass off on

It deeply disturbs me how much I don't know about what I don't know ><
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a phone call with recruiter for Microsoft's Project SPARK last week or two ago. They asked for a quote... so I gave em $18-20/hr. Well, they agreed right away so I knew I asked for too low. I didn't hear anything back though, so it means I have to make better arts... and ask higher next time...
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They interviewed me too. No response as well after that.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    @PyrZern
    Well I think 18-20 may have been a fair number. Firstly if the contract was long-term that kind of compensates for one off freelance gigs. Secondly you would have gotten a shipped title/professional experience to put down on your resume since you don't have that.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I had a phone call with recruiter for Microsoft's Project SPARK last week or two ago. They asked for a quote... so I gave em $18-20/hr. Well, they agreed right away so I knew I asked for too low. I didn't hear anything back though, so it means I have to make better arts... and ask higher next time...

My past tutors tell me to never ever state a quote during an interview. I don't know if thats easier said than done, but usually its better if they state their price.

Often what happens when you state your price is either, its too low or too high. Which may end up screwing your chances or getting yourself undervalued.

If someone can give their thoughts on this that'll be great.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But then if they're the one asking for what I think the pay should be, then I'd have to give em something, no ??

@tynew That is true. Which was why I didn't quote higher... It was a 12 month contract btw.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    PyrZern wrote: »
    But then if they're the one asking for what I think the pay should be, then I'd have to give em something, no ??

One tactic is to say I am looking for a fair market value for my services.

It doesn't always work, but the onus is on the interviewer to either Know what that it, or to press you for a number.

I'd say it's a good idea to know what that number is before an interview, and then bump it up a bit (not ridiculous, but more than you need). If they really want you, they'll negotiate.

talking money can be daunting
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    $18-20, IMO is very base level work/pay these days. I say shoot for $22. In the OC/San Diego, California area... 18-20 is tough to live off of on your own. It will definitely require a roommate or a single room rented from a family or something. Even studio apartments in this area go for like 900-1200/mo easily if you can even find one. Say you find a studio apartment at 900/mo and you are a contractor making 18-20 an hour, you have to factor in insurance, gas, food, car payment (if you have one), alcohol (gotta separate this from food...... for science), and any other living expenses. It's a tough number to live off of these days and definitely leaves very very little money at the end of the month to build savings.

I say push for the 22-24 range if you are in California. I can't speak for other areas though, and why I used Southern CA for reference. As Justin was saying, land is cheap in Texas so 18-20 could definitely be much more comfortable in that area.
  • sushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're really good at what you do then you'll be able to live very comfortably as a 3D artist.

Make sure to always save money for a rainy day though...