Home Technical Talk

How would you go about modeling this

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
JoelStransky polycounter lvl 4
I built this mesh the other night and just felt like a snail while doing it. (Thanks Tor!) Speed is a big issue for me so I'm curious how you guys might have gone about it.
Would you mind describing what process, tools you would have used? I probably don't need an excruciating list of details but the more in depth you get the better.
Thanks ahead of time!
panel.PNG?_subject_uid=14440432&w=AAAyIvGA34iOV4AWaRbq0ns2340IlJA23HD8Z1jrUN3yJg

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You forgot to post any images :)
  • JoelStransky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    You forgot to post any images :)
    Gah! Last time I use dropbox for image hosting
    in4yiJ0.png
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    edit: like this gif but with actual attention paid to scale etc

Just start with a plane, cut the cross shape in the bevel/extrude. If the right side mesh is what you 'started' with then I guess it took too long because you were using too much geo.

Actually the simplest way to do this is to start with a plane, and use the spikey tool (modo) to place a vert in the middle that connects to the outer 4 corner verts. In other apps you might have to subdivide the mesh and then connect the middle vert to the outer verts, then remove the edges from the suddivision, or add a vert to the middle of the polygon some other way.

So now you've got four triangles. Select them and bevel them inwards to create your outer edges (Group polygons unchecked in modo, so each face bevels individually). With the same polygons selected bevel again, with inset and shift. Then all you have to do is select the edges that need to be rounded and bevel again. Easy. Some cleanup will be required if you're wanting to subdivide the mesh obviously (in which case it might be better to start out by cutting out the X shape, maybe not. Give it a go).
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    The main idea would be to avoid starting from a dense mesh. Try to do a shape you want with as little polys as possible, then add more if the shape requires it.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joel - It looks like you're getting hung up on even topology and all quads ... if you watch Tor, he doesn't. If it smooths correctly, and bakes cleanly, the topology doesn't matter really.

Become one with the n-gon and watch your speed increase dramatically. :)
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Good show Bek, you nailed it.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    I've made a video showing the process of making that shape:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mGS1ytnmok[/ame]

Excuse the funky stuff that happens some time, but my machine can't handle the video recorder without some lags.
  • JoelStransky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WAHH! You guys are amazing! Polycount has always been good to me but that hits me right in the feels. To clarify the piece on the right is the resulting back and the topo was needed for a bend deformer so I could do this.
    FS8VQCf.png
    @Bek, your gif sums it up nicely.
    @SonicBlue, I'm speechless, that's way above and beyond and priceless.
    @SuperFranky, I did start with a single tri and got it right before duplicating but probably spent too much hand-cutting edges and positioning verts rather than use bevels where appropriate.
    @WarrenM, If I can still get a good bend using ngons then I'm all for it. Probably better to see how it goes before spending the time quading before hand.

Thanks again!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, missed that you were bending it. Carry on. :)
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    SonicBlue wins the internet because he did the shape and in Cinema4d on top of that.
  • JoelStransky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another of my core hangups. The below image is basically the shape I was going for but looking at the wires it feels like I've gone way overboard. Is there life after holding edges?
    JoIHjef.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    As long as the end result is good looking and you didn't spend too much time on it - all is good.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Yeah exactly. Some small things worth mentioning though:

Don't terminate loops unless you have a good reason to. It's a lot easier to make changes if you can just select a whole single loop, or run extra loops without having to do any manual edits around terminations.

I also like to work with pretty much everything snapped to grid so I get consistent edge widths (you can see in your image you don't have a loop around the upper horizontal section running left to right) and having everything on grid just makes life easier.

Also, double loops. Helps keep consistency over areas of varying length (see how the corners are rounded with one loop vs two)
  • JoelStransky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As long as the end result is good looking and you didn't spend too much time on it - all is good.

Both good looking and efficient use of time have been major hurdles for me. I get better at both at the same time. As I learn to make better use of the tools I also spend less time deciding on how the topology should look.
    Yeah exactly. Some small things worth mentioning though:

Don't terminate loops unless you have a good reason to. It's a lot easier to make changes if you can just select a whole single loop, or run extra loops without having to do any manual edits around terminations.
    I learned that lesson with this one. I started terminating loops as soon as they were no longer beneficial and then had to deal with that up until the point where I gave up and just ran the edges all the way out. It feels sloppy but I'm starting to understand how when all things are considered (time spent, good smoothing, poly-count, engine cost) it's actually not all that bad.
    I also like to work with pretty much everything snapped to grid so I get consistent edge widths (you can see in your image you don't have a loop around the upper horizontal section running left to right) and having everything on grid just makes life easier.

Also, double loops. Helps keep consistency over areas of varying length (see how the corners are rounded with one loop vs two)
    Snapping to grid is something I should get better at, among other short cuts. For now I usually select a whole loop, convert the selection to verts and snap to vert using a modified move tool.

I'm not sure about the double loops however, wouldn't tighter holding edges give you the same control?