Home Technical Talk

3dsmax noise in normal maps

Afon
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Afon polycounter lvl 7
Hello,

I've been messing about with 3dsmax and baking normal maps, but they always seem to have too much noise on them, and it becomes really noticeable when trying to make a glossy object (like chromed metal).

When i save in .tga or .tif, there is an almost unacceptable amount of noise, but if i save in .dds there is no noise, yet there are some strange artifacts.

I've provided a screenshot of the issue, rendered in quixel.

The 3dsmax render setup is: Enable SSE checked, Antialiasing checked, Filter Maps checked, Filter: Catmul Rom, Super sampler: Hammersley, Quality 1.0, Super sample maps checked.

3dsmax Projection options are: Method Raytrace, use cage checked, Resolve hit furthest, Normal Map Space: Tangent

http://i.imgur.com/jWjSNtt.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/70f1ptgb2zs91k4/LP_BladeNormalsMap.tga?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/votedn8g5pitxrw/LP_BladeNormalsMap.tiff?dl=0

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Hi there,

create a new tga file with a solid color of r128, g128, b255 and use this instead of your baked normalmap. Is the Noise still there.

I've checked your normalmap tga and I can't see any noise in there. Do you see noise in the texture itself?

I have the feeling it could be an issue on the shader side. But not sure. The plain color normalmap should rule out the texture or not.
  • Afon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Afon polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks,
    using what you said, there is has no noise, and textures baked in xnormal also do not, but i'd like to bake in 3dsmax.

if you click with the photoshop magic wand with the tolerance being 0, and contiguous is clicked off, you'll see that the entire map is covered by tiny dots, it's easier to see in the .tiff.
    I'm guessing it looks horrible when rendered because of those almost invisible dots.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Have you tried baking in 16 or 32 Bit? I guess 3dsmax adds this noise to 8bit normalmaps to reduce the banding effect.
  • Afon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Afon polycounter lvl 7
    Yes, I tried that, and there is no difference.

Tried both compressed and uncompressed, the issue remains.

I'm using the default scanline renderer, and Nitrous driver as the display driver.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a bit depth precision issue, you can have noise or banding/stair stepping. Trust me, noise is preferable.

You can use a 16bit map to reduce it, but most engines do not support 16 bit normal maps due to the high memory cost.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Does the effect change with different supersampler? Renderer?

If using a higher bit rate is not changing the effect it might still be related to max.
  • Afon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Afon polycounter lvl 7
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Its a bit depth precision issue, you can have noise or banding/stair stepping. Trust me, noise is preferable.

You can use a 16bit map to reduce it, but most engines do not support 16 bit normal maps due to the high memory cost.

in xnormal i get the banding, but this amount of noise doesn't seem preferable, when trying to make something that is going to be a reflective/glossy surface, well to me at least.
    rollin wrote: »
    Does the effect change with different supersampler? Renderer?

If using a higher bit rate is not changing the effect it might still be related to max.

if i save in .dds theres no noise, at least not as much noise, but it always has some artifacting
    ive tried all the options for both .tiff and tga, and no change.
    .dds im saving A8 R8 B8 G8
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Bake it in xNormal as a .tif, which is 16bits per channel and then in photoshop change it to 8bits, this should help reduce banding by dithering the image.

I think you can also bake it at twice the size and then do the above process for extreme dithering.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, trying baking in 16bit and converting to 8bit in PS. Baking double size shouldn't have any effect on dithering though, you can't really "dither harder", dithering quality will be limited to the value range in the map, if the gradients are super subtle there is only so much dithering can help.

.DDS means compression, so typically your image will be compressed into large blocks of information, so yeah there might be less noise but only because there is less detail due to lossy compression.

It's certainly possible that something is wrong with the settings in Max, but Max does a very good job of dithering.
  • Afon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Afon polycounter lvl 7
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah, trying baking in 16bit and converting to 8bit in PS. Baking double size shouldn't have any effect on dithering though, you can't really "dither harder", dithering quality will be limited to the value range in the map, if the gradients are super subtle there is only so much dithering can help.

.DDS means compression, so typically your image will be compressed into large blocks of information, so yeah there might be less noise but only because there is less detail due to lossy compression.

It's certainly possible that something is wrong with the settings in Max, but Max does a very good job of dithering.

Should i just try nuking the user document for 3dsmax then?