Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2-Texture & Shaders!

Hi guys!
I'm Ana and I'm new posting around here so I would like to stop beeing a "voyeur" and show you some of my texture and shader stuff for Castlevania LOS2 I hope you like it ;-), please if you got any questions do not hesitate to ask!

Guido Sandzor

guido_szandor_face.jpg
guido_facial_stages.jpg
guido_szandor_texture.jpg

Bloody Warrior
bloody_warrior_wall.jpg
bloody_warrior_poses2.jpg

Sculptures

heart_statue_red.jpg
blind_statue_3pos1.jpg
mirror_devil1.jpg

Gorgon

gorgon_up.jpg
gorgon_closeup.jpg
gorgon_poses.jpg
gorgon_text01.jpg

Dracula Armoured Skin

armoured_dracula_skin1.jpg

Victor Belmont

Victor_00.jpg

ToyMaker Bridge

Toy_maker_table_bridge.jpg

Thanks a lot! :)
http://www.anninsunderland.com/

Replies

• Hanska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hanska polycounter lvl 6
    Pretty sick texturing man! Awesome
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Some of the stuff seems really familiar :)
    Great work Ana!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Slendid work, imma gonna stay tuned.
  • Anninsunderland
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Love the texturing!
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Ana, can i say i am just super happy you decided to stop looking and start posting. Thanks for the great art!
    I only watched lords of shadow being played but it looked sick .
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Any hope of an HD remaster to PS4? Make it happen!
  • Anninsunderland
    hahaha I don't know pixelpatron you have to ask to Konami about it ;-)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Well, that goes straight into my reference folder :) Great job there! I really like the gross stuff.
  • Sojiira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sojiira polycounter lvl 9
    Loved Castlevania! Great stuff you guys :D
  • Anninsunderland
    Thanks a lot for your coments guys!, I forgot to say that all the images are real-time rendered with mercurysteam engine
  • inkscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The face with the skin removed gave me one of those "Eww, What the hell happened?" moments, but In a good way. The details are crisp and convincing. Awesome stuff!
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Wanna post some wires for the environment statues? :D
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Gorgeous stuff! Really detailed and crispy :) Forgot how much I loved this game.
  • HowToTrainAZombie
    I like the monster abomination thing. Really stands out
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Fantastic stuff, love the look of this game :)

Care to share a bit about the texturing process? Pretty curious about how you guys kept a consistent look between so many artists.
  • Anninsunderland
    Sure Sabor1996!

I'm not the modeller of the statues, the credit in this particular case that i'm going to use as an example is for Guillermo Cuadrado , however I'm going to post that as an example to show you how many details are in the base mesh and how many are in the texture.;-)
    statue_pareja-wire.jpg
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Amazing work Ana ! I love the art of Castlevania Lords of Shadows 2.
    Could you give some more insight into your texturing process ?

I'm particularly interested in how you achieve such crisp and nice cloth details.
    And the bronze effect I saw on one of your statues on your website.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Dude so awesome, love that bloody warrior!!!
  • Anninsunderland
    Thanks a lot for your coments guys!
    Especially Hazardous, I'm a very big fan of your work :-)

Minos, We used to work a pretty solid group of 6 or 7 texture artist team (even 8 in full production times) and we looked much about the work of others , so at the end is all very cohesive . We learned from each other and this ultimately is reflected in the final style and visuals.

The process "old way style" was started by baking AO in Max, corrected in photoshop to colored the black shadows, adding maps from crazy bump, max, photoshop used as masks, from there I went detailing supported by photography, different materials and textures... in my particular case in the Gorgon Forearm that I use as an example, I have a complete folder with animal photographies to use as texture itself or only as reference , same with the disgusting folder that contains all the skin, guts, blood, corpses... that I needed to make the Bloody Warrior XD all kind of nasty stuff

gorgon_example_70.jpg

Arno I think this is the bronce you are asking me for? I can make something to show the cloth and bronce but in the meantime I can quick explain that process and it's very similar but in the bronce case I rely more in selection masks that we use to take from Max (a top bottom map for the dust, a corner to edge map with a plugin for the edges tears, and modify this masks with the photoshop filter gallery to make them more irregular and break the clean edges) but today with tools like the quixel suite, or even extracting this masks from Zbrush using Xnormal projections.. you can do that in a much more easily and efficient way though. (that's why I called that before the "old way style") ;-)

wolf3tipos.jpg
  • lucashug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucashug polycounter lvl 6
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, incredible work! This is really inspiring for someone like me that prefers to do texture and shader work over modeling.

Were you responsible for any sculpting/unwrapping of the base mesh, or did you get to dig in once the high/low poly was done?
  • Anninsunderland
    Thanks Lt_Commader!
    I appreciate your consideration of the texture work because people tend to "simplify" or undervalue the textures ...for me, some meshes wich are totally "a mess" or very poor in details(if you know what I mean) can improve thousand times with a very good texture or vice versa, If you have a really really nice model and you do a crappy texture work the final result is totally unworthy.
    You ask me about the mapping workflow..
    Personally I prefer to make the UVS myself using combined the Max tools and the UV Layout ,but when we worked at Castlevania LOS2 this task was not included in our functions, so we used to get a high poly model with its corresponding unwrapped low poly model from the modelers (with freedom to manipulate the UVS it if we thought that we could correct something or if we preferred to gave more resolution in some parts than in others t).We used this two meshes to obtain a several number of "projected masks" to turn them as a base to started with the photoshop layers working.
    BUT ...in some cases they were unable to gave us the high poly version of the low poly(ohmygooodd running out of timeeeee , sorry guysss..)XD, then we have to use our "magical skills" to make the object look like a high mesh (using Zbrush, crazybump, fairy dust...whatever!)and creating more details by ourselves.
    and finally we used to manipulate the normals they gave to us to added detail, to soften some areas or to make new things .
    Hope that explains something :-)
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    That it does. Thanks for the response and keep doing awesome work!
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Thnx Ana, for the explanation.

As a character artist, I would love to see more info on the cloth and other character related textures such as skin and leather.

I think many people would be interested in seeing your texturing process from beginning to end in something like a video tutorial for example. I know I would.
    "The old way style " as you called has something special regarding textures, all current textures are quite flat with PBR and all that.
    I remember seeing the Alucard face texture made by one of your colleagues and being impressed with the subtle colour variation in the various areas of the face, is all of that just done by looking at reference or are there any special tricks involved ?

Cheers,

Arno
  • Anninsunderland
    Hi guys!, sorry for the silence I've been very busy but..I totally forgot to include a tile example of my work in the post, so I've decided to go for it, thanks a lot for the coments!
    Sorry Arno is imposible for me right now make a video to explain the process, but I'll do my best to answer your questions if you have any texture concerns. Thanks a lot for the apreciation!
    marble_floortile1.jpg