Home Digital Sketchbooks

Year 2 FdA games art sketchbook

So for Character Design, this is my concept sketchbook for my character Poppy.

IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg
Initial concept ideas

IMG_0181.jpg
IMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0184.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg
IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0188.jpg

Replies

• Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I can't manage to see your images. What image host are you using?
  • marisasparrowhawk
  • marisasparrowhawk
    Transformation state/pose
    IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpgCharacter turnaround
    IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg

Magic Pose
    IMG_0220.jpg

Selfie Pose
    IMG_0221.jpg

Final Pose
    IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg

Character Modelling on 3DSMAX - applying what I have learnt from topology, I'm starting on the body of my character using outlines on 2 planes as a guide as I'm building my character.

Trying to avoid those pesky tris !
  • marisasparrowhawk
    So making a start on modelling Poppy in 3DSmax , Starting out with having a female reference image on planes and extruding out polys in line with the body shape.bod.jpg
    the boobs were particularly annoying as to represent a curvey object with polys and limits !

then it was modeelling the legs , nothing fancy, extruding and modifying a cylinder to represent a leg with thigh boots on , hence the fold- extruded ledge at the top of the thigh ..legs.jpg
    similar thing with arms but the hand needed more attention , especially with the thumb placement
    arm.jpg

Then it was time to tackle the face , initially drawing out the face and the topology lines on an image of the face , then it was extruding planes along a reference image. Here, I was experimenting wether using part of a sphere for the roundness of the back of the head. face.jpg

Complete drama with max file corruption but the day was saved by mike and his female head mesh he kindly gave me to modify and use for my character.

Poppy whole in 3dsmax
    poppywholemax.jpg
    wholebodfin.jpg

Unwrapped and exported to mudbox for some high poly fun ...
    Untitled-10.jpg

In mudbox , subdevided the mesh up to level 8 ; making the model smoother and giving myself more to play with essentially,
    Untitled-11.jpg
    I sculpted in some details for the lace aroung the corset playsuit , and volumising the
    fringe in the hair, some ruching for the boots and minor adjustments to body shape.
    Untitled-12.jpg

Then I painted on Poppy in mudbox ...Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg

Here's Poppy back in 3dsmax from Mudbox and rendered the super low poly version
    Untitled-14.jpg
    the higher poly version in 3dsmax
    Untitled-13.jpg

Some beauty renders in using Marmoset Toolbag... screenshot000.png
    wireframe version
    screenshot001.png