Home Technical Talk

exr format vs zbrush vs 3dsmax vs photoshop

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
Hello, i will be currently generating some 32 bit displacement maps from zbrush to be used with low poly models (retopologized) in 3ds max, but maybe also other 3d packages. I will need these models to work universaly not just in 3ds max.

The problem here is that the default export to 32 bit exr file format from zbrush (8192*8192px texture as displacement map), has around 144 MB, thats quite a lot, exr allows some loslesscompresion. Zbrush defaultly exports without compresion.

I thought that since i would like a smaller size i would open it in photoshop CS 5 (or CS6) and simply "resave it", using this aproach the size shrinks to 90 MB (from 144 MB), so i think photoshop automatically applies some losless compresion to the file.

1) Is this true, is this a good aproach, doesnt photoshop somehow "ruin/degrade" the 32 bit file exr generated as displacement map out of zbrush?

2) Is it a good idea to use lossless compresion for 32 bit exr to be used as displacement for 3ds max vray renderings? (wont it take too much time to "decode" (open)) the file during the rendering etc.?

Replies

• marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    1) I don't know, Photoshop seems to do some dodgy stuff with EXRs (especially 32-bit ones as I don't believe photoshop can correctly export to 32bit EXR) - I wouldn't implicitly trust photoshop to be doing the right thing there.

2) Lossless compression is totally fine (and definitely desirable).
  • Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And what about Fusion software, now free, would that do a correct job of exporting lossless compresed 32 bit exr? (i dont have nuke) is fusion in its free version capable of this?
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    while the free version of fusion in general is able to do this - and i guess it will do a good job - it´s limited to ultra hd output. so for this exact purpose or map size you can´t use it.
  • Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d :

I dont undestand, you mean that the free version of fusion is limited by the maximum resolution of output images, that it wont let you to output images bigger than for example 2048*2048px? If yes (english is not my native english), whats the maximum resolution it will let you export?
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    yes max output in the free fusion is 3840*2160. so speaking in texture size 2048 * 2048 is the max you get out of it!