Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Making Moto (progress thread)

Update 02/13:

Gav0tSt.jpg

ORIGINAL POST:

Hey all!

Not making the same mistake I made with my last pieces by waiting until a bunch of work was done before starting a thread. So, here's what I'm planning to be my next portfolio piece (assuming all goes well)...

Moto! For those who don't know, Moto is an enemy from Nintendo's Metroid game series (appearing in Metroid II and as Moto-X in Metroid Fusion).

Unfortunately, I could only seem to find one piece of concept art for him and the following description of his appearance: "Moto are solitary creatures with head and back protected by a hard shell and thick dinosaur-like hide."

Here's what I have so far...

Quick front and side sketches:
tumblr_nhzecqUztd1s5ov0po2_1280.jpg

Sculpt detail/Texture ideas (pardon my "lovely" handwriting):
tumblr_nhzecqUztd1s5ov0po1_1280.jpg

Blocked out base model loaded into ZBrush:
tumblr_nhzecqUztd1s5ov0po3_1280.jpg

Replies

• Heather.Hughes
    Didn't get to do as much this morning as I wanted, but I might have some more time later. :)

QVuDOEA.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Not much change, but probably as far as I'll get today due to other obligations. Just did some initial roughing up of the mask part and adjusted the legs/feet.

T28wu0L.jpg
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start! I always find that it helps to block out in Max first too (although that might be because I'm still not great with ZBrush!).

My main criticism with this so far is his sense of balance. As the character is spherical, his centre of gravity will most likely be towards the middle. At the moment his legs are too small and too far forwards, so he'd have a lot of trouble standing up. I'd suggest giving him larger feet and straightening his legs a little. It might also be worth bulking up his leg muscles, as it looks like his default stance is a squat.

Your reference has legs that come from towards the back and underneath him, rather than protruding from his front. I'd recommend working on his large proportions before detailing, that way you won't end up redoing work. I think his talons could do with some separate geometry like the horns, as they look pretty beefy in your reference, but they're a bit small in your current sculpt.

It's a really cool looking creature, and a solid start. I hope this helps!
  • Heather.Hughes
    WesleyArthur:

I see what you mean about where the legs start on the reference. Not sure how I missed that, but I'll be sure to correct it next. No worries on me getting too detailed yet, I hadn't planned on doing that until I was sure about proportions and everything else. :)

The talons were separate, but they got kind of messed up when I was moving the legs around (which also thinned them a bit more than I wanted). I'll probably try to clean that up tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you went from roughing the dude out straight to detailed sculpting. Focus on getting the overall forms correct before you start to noodle.

I tried finding more pictures for reference...seems like a hard guy to find. That means you are going to have to fill in the gaps for a lot of the details. Good luck!
  • Heather.Hughes
    I always think of detailed sculpting as adding scratches and things like that. Is that not how most people view it?

The only part I could see as being somewhat detailed already is the mask, but for that I just threw down some clay tubes, smoothed it a bit, and used the crumple brush all over the place. I wasn't sure what kind of look I wanted to go with for that, so the result is just me experimenting (which I liked, so I'll probably move forward with it once the forms (the legs specifically) and cleaned up. I'll try to avoid doing that with the other areas. I know I definitely have a problem getting side-tracked on details when it comes to sculpting, so I'll be extra careful about that. Thanks for the feedback!

And yes, finding references was next to impossible. There's only the one piece of concept art floating around and then two sprites (one from Metroid II and the other from Metroid Fusion). There appears to be a commonly used piece of fan art as well, but it doesn't really make for a good reference.

I'm looking forward to adding some of the details myself, but I'm mostly concerned about making sure I stay true to the basic form of the reference I do have.

Thanks again for the feedback! :)
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think it's your experimenting that makes it look like you've gone for the details, but not to worry!

As for the talons, I get that problem sometimes. You could try using BackFaceMask in the AutoMask Brush settings (I think that's where it is!) to avoid squashing the mesh. Failing that I just reimport the problem areas and go from there.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
  • Heather.Hughes
    Thanks JadeEyePanda! There's a lot of good information in your critique and I'll definitely be taking a step back to address those things.

I'll lower the detail level and work on the things you mentioned before moving on (shouldn't be too hard as all I've done so far is Dynamesh it - probably just at too high a resolution).

I was trying to stay consistent with the concept with the thickness of the mask/plating, but I think you're right about it looking better if it were thicker.

Again, thanks for the critique! Very helpful. :)
  • EosOfOrcus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EosOfOrcus polycounter lvl 4
  • Heather.Hughes
    Noticed a couple other problems and structural things that could cause hiccups down the road, so I decided to just go back to my original blocking out and make adjustments there tonight.

-Added thickness to the mask/plating as suggested. Also adjusted the position/curve of the plates to better match the reference from the get-go (rather than assuming I'll fix it in the sculpt).

-Worked with the position and size of the legs. Might still need some adjustments, but my new subtool structure should help me be able to adjust that later if needed without undoing other work.

-Ditto for the claws.

7xJCxJh.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Today's update!

-Mostly more work on the legs
    -Mask plate has eye holes again
    -Did some work on the back plates (position, size)

dlP7mlz.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    So, I got the overall form to a good place I think (though you all are welcome to correct my thinking).

Next, I decided to start detailing a subtool at a time. Not sure if that’s the “official correct game artist way,” but it has allowed me to create better goals to stay on track (e.g. complete mask detailing next weekend).

As always, feedback and critiques are encouraged! :)

tumblr_niaya6fw7z1s5ov0po1_1280.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    he getting arms at all? I like the little guy reminds me of Cubone! subd for more
  • Heather.Hughes
    No arms for the poor guy unfortunately. While I've veered from the Nintendo's concept art a bit, I think adding arms would be pushing it too far. Sadly, he will be forever forced to only have a charge attack that continues to mess up his face plate. :P

And yeah, Nintendo seems to been inspired from this guy in a few series. I can see a bit of him in Cubone as well as some of the enemies in Zelda (whose names I cannot recall at the moment).

Thanks for the sub!
  • Heather.Hughes
    Decided to go with the armadillo type detail for the back plates to add some interest to that area. My hand regrets this choice, but I think it has the potential to end up looking cool. Feedback appreciated.

tumblr_nicohsPT1j1s5ov0po1_1280.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Tiny update from yesterday.

Things on my list to do before moving onto the legs and claws:

-Sharpen the cracks on the face plate
    -Add some more detail to the face plate
    -Add eyes
    -Turn off symmetry and start adding damage/details to the back plates

tumblr_nifbexqfn71s5ov0po1_1280.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Only a back view today as this is all I worked on. Spent most of my time today researching armadillo anatomy and how shelled creatures can have their shells damaged.

What I finally decided to go with is that Moto follows armadillo anatomy in that the scales are lying on top of bone. However, for Moto, the bone is quite thick and can take more of a beating than an armadillo. So, my plan is for the texture in the damaged area to actually show as bone (like the face plate will be). I think that will give it some consistency and show that those areas are the same material, just that the back is covered in scales. Hopefully, I'm not too off in thinking this direction. If so, please let me know. :P

As always, feedback encouraged. :)

TWfs51M.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Today's update.

-More work on the back plate uniformity deformation and damage
    -A little touch up work on the face plate

tumblr_niidswH0et1s5ov0po1_1280.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Not a lot of progress again today (the weekend needs to happen sooner so I have more time to work).

-More touch-ups on the face plate
    -Eyes added!

I'll probably work on the eyes next (since they shouldn't need too much work), but then I'd like to move onto the legs. That's the area I'm least sure about, so any feedback about them before I start would be greatly appreciated! :)

tumblr_nik89kqMiX1s5ov0po1_540.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I just realized this, you're going to have to extend those legs out. The back calves and thighs are touching and intersecting, so they won't be able to extend out like a frog cleanly if you retopo it as it is. Extend the leg sculpts out so you can make a rigger's life easier later.
  • Heather.Hughes
    I just realized this, you're going to have to extend those legs out. The back calves and thighs are touching and intersecting, so they won't be able to extend out like a frog cleanly if you retopo it as it is. Extend the leg sculpts out so you can make a rigger's life easier later.

Now this is the kind of feedback I need! :thumbup: I've never worked with a rigger before and have only experimented with it myself a couple times for simple things.
    So, do you have a suggestion on how far out I should extend the legs? Will I need to adjust the thigh angle as well or just the calves?
  • Heather.Hughes
    PS: I managed to find a bunch of sprites of Moto-X for reference as well (though I'm following more of the original Metroid II design). Do you guys think I should change any part of my design/details to be more like Moto-X or would that just confuse the overall piece?

About halfway down the page:
    http://metroidpower.tripod.com/sprites_enemies.html
  • Heather.Hughes
    So, I've been working on extending out the legs out as recommended by JadeEyePanda.

I spent quite a bit of time (probably too much) analyzing how Moto would walk/run, including watching a gif I found of Moto's run cycle, looking up how Sheegoths move since they are a similarly structured Metroid enemy, and looking for real life animals that could be similar. Turns out, the giant armadillo's back legs were pretty close to what I was looking for. Guess Moto is more armadillo-like than I realized. :P

First image is giant armadillo reference.

Second is a side-view of Moto's current state (very much in progress). I think the legs are extended enough at this point (though the back of the knee needs some touching up). Judging by how he looks in motion, the tibia/fibula part of the leg wouldn't be able to extend/rotate much further (if at all). Of course, I'm not a rigger, so I could be very wrong. Please let me know! ^_^

d4f93c14624bc59fc1f62d5c9c243613.jpg

rQpjNUQ.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Hoping no feedback is good feedback. :P

Didn't want the rest of the night to go to waste, so after a short break, I kept working on the body/legs/claws.

tumblr_nio233BVDW1s5ov0po1_1280.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Probably as far as I'll get today due to other life stuff getting in the way of art. Feeling pretty good about how the legs and feet look now though. :)

Critiques and feedback encouraged!

10931665_896432083734608_3425946929237250665_o.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Here's the latest!

tumblr_nirb6r1mGD1s5ov0po1_1280.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Low poly + bakes + some base colors + specular/gloss adjustments.

Critiques highly encouraged since I know I have trouble with texture definition (already having trouble with the body/legs...)

TyAVRWN.jpg

PS: Should I pose Moto before I continue work on texturing or after?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post your textures. What are you rendering in?
  • Heather.Hughes
    Marmoset Toolbag 2.

From top left to bottom right: Normal, diffuse, specular, gloss. (Apologies in advance if the image quality isn't too good, imgur wouldn't upload so I had to use something else)

tumblr_nj68ktXNt41s5ov0po2_r1_1280.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding skin specularity, you're going to want to inverse the diffuse map and apply that to your specular map as a base, making adjustments as needed. Skin doesn't reflect the same way metals or diaelectric materials do.

Also, if you're using old style rendering, you're going to want to look into this. Use the skin shader to your advantage.
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/skin-shader
  • Heather.Hughes
    Thanks for the tips! I appreciate you taking the time to give me feedback!

Silly me, because it wasn't human skin, I didn't even think about using a skin shader. :P Trying to get that lizard/dinosaur hide look just was not working with my specular and gloss adjustments, so hopefully the skin route will improve that aspect of the texture.

And yeah, I'm not going the PBR route this time. I'll probably try that for my next project, but figured I was tackling enough things that are new to me with this one as to not complicate it further. :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually in a lot of ways, PBR is way easier than the old style.

Going with a Metalness Roughness workflow all you have to do is the following for each pixel you paint:

1) Is this metal? Yes or no? (Metalness, it's either white or black [usually])

2) How shiny do I want this to be? (Roughness)

Albedo is literally just diffuse without any AO information. At all.
    At best it combines with the Metalness map to do weird things.
  • Heather.Hughes
    Skin shader is proving more difficult to grasp than I had hoped. Watched/read a few tutorials on it, but I'm not sure my head is quite wrapped around it yet - especially with how to make it work (and work well) with Moto's dinosaur hide-like skin texture.

Otherwise, just did more work on the back plating and a few other minor adjustments.

MPFNvLa.jpg
    Z86FK3p.jpg

Textures: Diffuse, spec, gloss, and translucency. (not posting normal again since it hasn't changed)

LxH4LMS.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Changes:
    -Redid lighting
    -A bunch of adjustments to the skin shader, still not quite happy with the look
    -Diffuse and specular adjustments on the face plate and body.

tumblr_njfe73Dmxr1s5ov0po2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_njfe73Dmxr1s5ov0po1_1280.jpg

Textures: Same as before (diffuse, spec, gloss, translucency)

tumblr_njfe73Dmxr1s5ov0po3_1280.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Update: Posed, grounded, a bunch of tweaks.

Still planned:
    -Face mask needs more hairline cracks as opposed to the large ones.
    -Other tweaks, depending on feedback/critiques

Gav0tSt.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the colours all look like the need more variation, the spec or gloss needs work on the legs - they just look kind of wet right now (I actually preferred the look of them in your second round of textured pics)
    Z86FK3p.jpg

and the vertical lines on the shin look random and not ...accurate?
    the look better here before you changed the sculpt
    10931665_896432083734608_3425946929237250665_o.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for delayed crit, those would have been more useful following your previous updates but I've been busy and missed them - I know I hate it when I get crits that involve changing things that occurred very early on, so take what you will from them :P

at least the finish line is in sight!
  • Heather.Hughes
    sorry for delayed crit, those would have been more useful following your previous updates but I've been busy and missed them - I know I hate it when I get crits that involve changing things that occurred very early on, so take what you will from them :P

at least the finish line is in sight!

No worries, I appreciate you taking the time to comment at all! :)

The lines on the shin were added after I did some looking into how we imagine dinosaur hide would've looked. It has a lot of what seemed like a folding look to it in what I saw, so I tried to replicate that. So, either I didn't nail it or it just looks off on Moto. But, I'll probably leave them alone at this point and use it as a learning experience for the future.

I'll do some more tweaking on the body spec/gloss. I've been going back and forth on the gloss levels for a while now, so it's nice to get someone else's eyes on it.