Home General Discussion

Should 3D artists be afraid of these ''tools'' ?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
1421190407-10936518-334950393378917-1984996851-o.jpg

I know plenty of software developpers and programmers have tried bringing up alot of plugins and add-on tools to facilite their works but this seems..big?

WATCH THE VIDEO!

http://vimeo.com/113461164

To think it does the whole retopology like that in clean manners..

EDIT: Should have changed thte title for technical artist instead of 3D

Replies

• Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    I for one welcome a working one click rigging solution.... This saves time an artist could spend somewhere else to make more awesome art.

The cash register didn't replace the cashier it made their job more efficient.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    The less people making rocks and tedious skinning the better. You can reallocate those resources to making the rest of the game better.

Blond do you have nightmares about the AI coming to get you?
  • The Flying Monk
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    Blond wrote: »
    EDIT: Should have changed thte title for technical artist instead of 3D

I'm a technical artist and I already don't do any rigging. Anything that makes it easier and quicker to make content is always a good thing.

There is always going to be a need for talented artists. The art and graphics in games can always be improved. And being able to make stuff quicker means either a shorter development, or more content in the game.

As for making technical artists redundant. Tools are never perfect, and artists are always asking for more features. And people are always going to antecedently break things during development.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I'm a technical artist and I already don't do any rigging. Anything that makes it easier and quicker to make content is always a good thing.

There is always going to be a need for talented artists. The art and graphics in games can always be improved. And being able to make stuff quicker means either a shorter development, or more content in the game.

As for making technical artists redundant. Tools are never perfect, and artists are always asking for more features. And people are always going to antecedently break things during development.

same here. rarely do rigging. But there's still so much work... project setup, tools programming, pipeline dev, shaders, export/import, bug fixing, training, VFX, console optimization, etc.
    And each new tool you add to the pipeline brings its own set of problems. E.g. the more tools, the more artists get annoyed by interoperability, and the fact that they cannot do things the "artistic" (i.e. manual) way. People rather sculpt cloth than using tools like Marvelous Designer. Takes twice as long, but it's twice the fun ;)
  • elGuapo
    Yeah, feature creep is always there. If you can make rigs in one minute, then the artist are going to want a whole list of new features added to the rigs that we previously didn't have the time budget for. Plus, there is often a lot of work that goes into making new tools work in the pipeline, and that work tends to be ongoing for packages that have updates and new features.
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Just another part of the pipeline really.
    Not one of those "3D artists HATE it!" kind of ads that you see doctor treatments try to do when advertisers say "DOCTORS HATE HIM!" as if something was to make another person obsolete.
    3D artists won't go obsolete just because of a tool. Welders don't lose their jobs just because of robotic welding arms either.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    3D artists won't go obsolete just because of a tool. Welders don't lose their jobs just because of robotic welding arms either.

yep. if anything I think it's like in programming. Instead of starting writing from scratch, you start by using a framework and build your code on that.

In 3D you'll do the same. You pick outputs generated by e.g. Substance, Marvelous Designer, a rigging tool, a photometry or scanning tool, a reusable asset/shader/texture library and then integrate it and refine it. E.g. grabbing textures from libraries is already very common and nobody is afraid of texture artists becoming unemployed ;)

And for gen4 titles such approaches are needed. There's no way to cut down costs per asset if quality requirements are going up. You have to automate to save time. Alternative: you hype and market this crap out of your project and make everyone buy that overpriced collector's edition...now that seems a bit more risky
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message

Well that analogy is just absurdly wrong.Welders haven't lost their jobs totally yet, but that's because the tools aren't there yet, but don't mistake it they will do.

The reason why we shouldn't be scared of digital tools making out lives easier is unlike products in the real world, the scope of a game can grow infintley, and it is a creative process, and while i am actually pretty certain we will be able to program creativity in AI, i think it is something that will remain as valued more when created by a human.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU[/ame]
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think people will always be slowly pushed into different fields and skills instead of being instantly replaced. There will be things slowly phased out of product work, but the whole position won't ever disappear overnight.
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I would consider this more exciting than scary. As everyone else has already mentioned, these tools only allow for the scope of a game to be increased due to less time spent on rigging, etc. Wait to see more, first.
  • sushi
    It can be easy for some people to fall into the trap of thinking that a shiny new tool will make the skill of a trained artist obsolete.

I could spend hours or even days going through the full process of developing a current generation spec asset. And maybe I would go through this mundane process if the asset were for my own portfolio, or for a game project that demanded that sort of finesse. However, 90% of the time I will now turn to software such as the Quixel suite to speed up my workflow significantly. Does using this workflow make an artist less adequate at doing their job? I suggest definitely not, given that the artist as a thorough understanding of how to implement classic techniques if called upon.

Think back to say, the year 2000 when the game Counter-Strike was in its infancy. Can you imagine back then how straightforward and quick a full level could be created by a 3D artist? As an experienced 3D artist, I bet I could create a map of that caliber from start to finish in less than a week. And what did an artist's software consist of back then? Probably a single 3D application, Photoshop, and a game engine. To recreate one of those levels to today's standards would likely take a single 3D artist several months while potentially using many more software applications. 3D art has become significantly more time consuming and complicated to produce.

I'm certainly not afraid of those kinds of tools, and if it is quality software at a reasonable price then I would likely purchase it if it will speed up my workflow.

If anything, we need more of these tools, so long as the 3D artist will still be contributing their skill and creative input.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    yay! clickbait titles in general discussion...I hate the world.
  • antweiler
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    Tools like this are good, when you are on a tight budget and mediocre is "good enough". When you need proprietary stuff, someone (a Techartist) will have to setup it anyways.
    Take for example Mixamo, while we quickly got some "good enough" realistic characters out of it, we suffered to integrate it into our pipeline, because of bad data coming out of it and lack of control over it, so we needed adjustments and an animation pipeline anyways.
    The boundaries will be pushed quicker, and the automatic tools will always be behind, because they require standards, that are defined by the boundary pushers.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    There have been an number of threads like this latly, where people ask "should we be afraid of this".

I dont really see the problem, because in the end, it wont matter if we are afraid or not, if a robot does your job better then then you, it will replace you, period. so you better adapt. just like the video muzz pointed out, its inevitable,
    what matters is how we react and what we do about these changes.
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    I personally welcome tools that eliminate technicalities and let me focus more on the art :3
  • OutOfMyMind
    Offline / Send Message
    OutOfMyMind polycounter lvl 5
    Awsome software, looking forward to autodesk independent version.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Mocap did not replace the animator. This is just a tool to help riggers and a great one at that and one you should embrace not run away from. You will still need to tweak rigs I am sure, make new rigs for different creatures and I found that most of my time rigging was setting up hard surface vehicles/props and assets.

Also if there are any riggers out there that would like some help/tips/news/feedback then there is this thread.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138217
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    cool video muzz, but i dont think he had any good points on replacing creative jobs. so, as far as im concerned, creative jobs will stay until we manage to make a fully sentient AI as complex as a real person.
    eveything replaced by technology so far has been objective valued stuff. when you making food, there is a objective goal. make the most with the least recources and time. same with chess. win.
    and the same goes for retopology and rigging. there is a objective best soloution to topology, considering the technical limitations of the game.
    but what about subjective stuff? what is the objective goal of art? how do you create the "best" 3d model or 2d painting? in my opinion you cant really. and since we cant really quantify whats good in art in a objective way, i dont see how we could make bots do that either.

i welcome everything that lower the amount of uncreative work i have to do, ie the objective stuff with one best solution. then i will have more time to spend on the creative, subjective stuff. thats on of the advantages for 2d or 3d for me. 2d has a way lower technical stuff vs creative stuff ratio than 3d. lowering that ratio for 3d is only good in my opinion.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    cool video muzz, but i dont think he had any good points on replacing creative jobs. so, as far as im concerned, creative jobs will stay until we manage to make a fully sentient AI as complex as a real person.

Isn't that exactly what i said?
  • Kel-Shaded
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Muzz wrote: »
    Well that analogy is just absurdly wrong.Welders haven't lost their jobs totally yet, but that's because the tools aren't there yet, but don't mistake it they will do.

That is probably the only point not led by ego I've read in the thread,
    The idea that tools will replace 3D artists is far off, True, But that is ALL of us.

Like someone said 'The cash register didn't replace the cashier it made their job more efficient.'

True, however the combination of that efficiency, plus automated registers, self service scanners and online shopping has drastically decreased the number of cashiers a business needs and their utility,
    Meaning even though there are less of them, each of them now does a job that isn't valued because it can be automated.

Any job that relies on technology can be made redundant by the development of the tech, especially when labour time and expense is worth the RnD to develop the tech.
  • Kel-Shaded
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6

And creativity doesn't need to be AI (though will be inevitably)
    If you can automate variations fast enough, the way we seed variations of noise in ZBrush, Trees in Maya and landscapes in terragen,
    When you can do that with citys,
    Create an entire variation, click select points u want to keep then click to create a new instant variation.
    Save, click create textures... weather... post...
    The utility of creativity also falls.
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    Isn't that exactly what i said?
    yes. so? im not allowed to voice my similuar but more elaburate thoughts cuz you wrote one sentence about it in your post?
    you should chill out. im not always out to get you.
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded wrote: »
    And creativity doesn't need to be AI (though will be inevitably)
    If you can automate variations fast enough, the way we seed variations of noise in ZBrush, Trees in Maya and landscapes in terragen,
    When you can do that with citys,
    Create an entire variation, click select points u want to keep then click to create a new instant variation.
    Save, click create textures... weather... post...
    The utility of creativity also falls.

i think if that is going to happen, most art will look similluar. and then to be creative, you have to breake those molds.
    for me, art is almost by defenition from a certian viewpoint. either the troubled soul of an artist who want to voice out that suffering, or someone who sees things they want to react against. its really hard imagine that AI will be so sophisticated that it can imitate that.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    That software looks amazing. I want it!

Thanks for the headsup.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Faster solutions = more time for polishing work or expanding the scope and range of variety in assets. We live in an age where characters are still usually always the same height/general build due to time constraints. The more methods and tools to combat the time it takes to create and develop the better.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    yes. so? im not allowed to voice my similuar but more elaburate thoughts cuz you wrote one sentence about it in your post?
    you should chill out. im not always out to get you.

It just would have been nice to have you acknowledge what i said, as it just came across that you were trying to argue, which seemed weird as you were agreeing with me :).
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    The day any form of robotics or AI has the ability to create art, I'll be afraid.

Until then, cutting corners across the planes of mundanity is all well and fair to me.
  • WarrenM
    Improved tools that remove redundant or mundane steps in the creation process can only help artists. Fearing that is silly.
  • vargatom
    Does anyone have any actual experience, or knows anything about projects done, with this tool?

Hate to sound like a jerk, but I've been in this business for a long time now, and I've never really seen any automatic tool that has managed to actually deliver on the promises...
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    I would also love to see how it looks like without all the pieces of armour around the character.
  • killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Improved tools that remove redundant or mundane steps in the creation process can only help artists. Fearing that is silly.

enduring redundant and mundane steps is not only my strength, it's my calling. My technical understanding of deteriorating software is my only means of leveraging my value over actual talented artists, without it, i will be outed as the fraud i am and be reduced to work at 7-11 again. i'm too old to work at 7-11!

besides all that, if this is real, i am AMAZED!
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Yes..but only because some dumb ass producer is going to see this video..

"what do you mean it's going to take a couple of weeks, I saw a video where someone did it in 30 seconds."

Seriously though, neat stuff. It will be interesting to see where asset generation goes in the next 5 years
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    maybe rename this thread ' 3d artist uses weird trick to annoy art directors'
  • WarrenM
    "Piss off your peers with this one weird trick. Art directors HATE him."
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    dont encourage him....Im already confused because I thought this was a regular thread, but what happened next brought me to tears.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    lol WarrenM, I think i got the quote a bit back to front , but anyway those ads 'really' annoy me
    ie 75 years old woman with cling film on her face( or is it PVA)