Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard Student Art Entry

Hey polycount, here is my entry for the blizzard student art contest

i was fortunate enough to have many friends who are great at hand painting to help me out on my first fully hand painted character, biiiig shout out to Duy for all his helpful c&c (should go check out his entry)

i learned a lot, hand painting is not as easy as my friends made it seem @.@ and in hindsight theres still much to improve on, but take those lessons to the next project =D

tAmk0Ay.jpg

nZnBUOI.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]0e190f65dfa0403bbe6aea6e28512e06[/SKETCHFAB]

Replies

• Shurkuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    C&C

(1) For future character submissions, I would pick only Warcraft lore-grounded races (Those not available in Character Creation are fine; Murloc - Ogre - Furbolg - etc). Sure foxes are present in in WoW, but creating a Fox humanoid character does not match up with the current Lore.

(2) If you do plan to create a new race not grounded in Lore next time. You need to do some things differently.

First, making the base-mesh and giving it a high-detailed texture for itself. With multiple variations to show of example(s) of Character Creation (Changing the face proportions, fur color, eye color, etc).

Second, that also means making the Armor and Weapons separate meshes with their own unique UVs.

So you should have 3 separate UV maps for the Race, Armor and Weapon.

(3) I don't know why you would mess up on such a crucial step, which is your PRESENTATION...

But you have a very distracting white outline all along your pictures.

I love the way you have it all layed out, it's even a very large image. But please be wary of tiny details like that please.

Edit: Bah, I completely ignored the Blizzard Student Art submission :(

My 3rd one still stands, you have a white outline which needs a fixing.
  • Daniel Duy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel Duy polycounter lvl 5
    I think the fox turn out awesome, especially this is the first time you do hand painted style for character. Of course there always place to improve like material polishing, light control .... but your art is definitely good. Love the lore you build up. For me story telling and idea are attract me the most. Good job :thumbup: