Home General Discussion

Passion: Is it the ideal? (Mike Rowe puts into words what's bothered Panda)

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Happened upon this when a friend of my sister's in Korea shared this on his Facebook.

I feel Mike has put into words a response to my rational/moral problem (heady phrasing, but I mean it as something akin to being bothered by selling incredibly risky mortgages to unsuspecting investors) with relying solely on passion, or as the chief reason, for why we pursue the goals we do.

Citation: https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe/photos/a.151342491542569.29994.116999698310182/865520353458109/?type=1&permPage=1
Off The Wall

Stephen Adams, Auburn, AL

"Hi, Mike. Let me begin by saying that I love what you and your foundation are attempting to do. However, I'm confused by your directive to NOT “follow your passion." I think it can be safely argued that if no one followed their passion, companies like Apple, Microsoft, Dow, and many more wouldn't exist. If no one follows their passion, who innovates? Who founds companies that provide jobs for the outstanding workers that your foundation aims to help?"

Hi Stephen

A few years ago, I did a special called "The Dirty Truth." In it, I challenged the conventional wisdom of popular platitudes by offering “dirtier,” more individualistic alternatives. For my inspiration, I looked to those hackneyed bromides that hang on the walls of corporate America. The ones that extoll passersby to live up to their potential by “dreaming bigger,” “working smarter,” and being a better “team player.” In that context, I first saw “Follow Your Passion” displayed in the conference room of a telemarketing firm that employed me thirty years ago. The words appeared next to an image of a rainbow, arcing gently over a waterfall and disappearing into a field of butterflies. Thinking of it now still makes me throw up in my mouth.

Like all bad advice, "Follow Your Passion" is routinely dispensed as though it's wisdom were both incontrovertible and equally applicable to all. It’s not. Just because you’re passionate about something doesn’t mean you won’t suck at it. And just because you’re determined to improve doesn’t mean that you will. Does that mean you shouldn’t pursue a thing you’re passionate about?” Of course not. The question is, for how long, and to what end?

When it comes to earning a living and being a productive member of society - I don’t think people should limit their options to those vocations they feel passionate towards. I met a lot of people on Dirty Jobs who really loved their work. But very few of them dreamed of having the career they ultimately chose. I remember a very successful septic tank cleaner who told me his secret of success. “I looked around to see where everyone else was headed, and then I went the opposite way,” he said. “Then I got good at my work. Then I found a way to love it. Then I got rich.”

Every time I watch The Oscars, I cringe when some famous movie star - trophy in hand - starts to deconstruct the secret to happiness. It’s always the same thing, and I can never hit “mute” fast enough to escape the inevitable cliches. “Don’t give up on your dreams kids, no matter what.” “Don’t let anyone tell you that you don’t have what it takes.” And of course, “Always follow your passion!”

Today, we have millions looking for work, and millions of good jobs unfilled because people are simply not passionate about pursuing those particular opportunities. Do we really need Lady GaGa telling our kids that happiness and success can be theirs if only they follow their passion?

There are many examples - including those you mention - of passionate people with big dreams who stayed the course, worked hard, overcame adversity, and changed the world though sheer pluck and determination. We love stories that begin with a dream, and culminate when that dream comes true. And to your question, we would surely be worse off without the likes of Bill Gates and Thomas Edison and all the other innovators and Captains of Industry. But from my perspective, I don't see a shortage of people who are willing to dream big. I see people struggling because their reach has exceeded their grasp.

I’m fascinated by the beginning of American Idol. Every year, thousands of aspiring pop-stars show up with great expectations, only to learn that they don’t have anything close to the skills they thought they did. What’s amazing to me, isn’t their lack of talent - it’s their lack of awareness, and the resulting shock of being rejected. How is it that so many people are so blind to their own limitations? How did these peope get the impression they could sing in the first place? Then again, is their incredulity really so different than the surprise of a college graduate who learns on his first interview that his double major in Medieval Studies and French Literature doesn’t guarantee him the job he expected? In a world where everyone gets a trophy, encouragement trumps honesty, and realistic expectations go out the window.

When I was 16, I wanted to follow in my grandfathers footsteps. I wanted to be a tradesman. I wanted to build things, and fix things, and make things with my own two hands. This was my passion, and I followed it for years. I took all the shop classes at school, and did all I could to absorb the knowledge and skill that came so easily to my granddad. Unfortunately, the handy gene skipped over me, and I became frustrated. But I remained determined to do whatever it took to become a tradesman.

One day, I brought home a sconce from woodshop that looked like a paramecium, and after a heavy sigh, my grandfather told me the truth. He explained that my life would be a lot more satisfying and productive if I got myself a different kind of toolbox. This was almost certainly the best advice I’ve ever received, but at the time, it was crushing. It felt contradictory to everything I knew about persistence, and the importance of “staying the course.” It felt like quitting. But here’s the “dirty truth,” Stephen. “Staying the course” only makes sense if you’re headed in a sensible direction. Because passion and persistence - while most often associated with success - are also essential ingredients of futility.

That’s why I would never advise anyone to “follow their passion” until I understand who they are, what they want, and why they want it. Even then, I'd be cautious. Passion is too important to be without, but too fickle to be guided by. Which is why I'm more inclined to say, “Don’t Follow Your Passion, But Always Bring it With You.”

Carry On
Mike

Replies

• iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    This was a great read.
  • RyanB
    I listened to a podcast addressing passion vs. mastery of a craft. It was refreshing to hear someone who actually did some research on the subject.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/08/22/art-of-manliness-podcast-78-the-myth-of-following-your-passion/
    In today’s episode I talk to Cal Newport, author of the book So Good They Can’t Ignore Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love. In his book Cal makes that provocative case that “following your passion” is terrible career advice and can actually cause people needless anxiety and problems in their lives. Instead of “following your passion,” Cal argues that seeking mastery in your job is the starting step to cultivating work you love.
    Show Highlights

• How following your passion can lead to anxiety and misery
    • What the research says on what makes work fulfilling (hint: it’s not following your passion)
    • The difference between the craftsman mindset and passion mindset
    • Why your focus should be on developing “career capital” and not following your passion
    • Why you need autonomy in your work to be happy (and how you can get it)
    • And much more!
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This is perfect example of someone not answering a question, but rather going on a tangent that just sounds vaguely related to the orignal subject. Sure, the "follow your dream" posters suck, especially when they are plastered on the walls of a shitty cubicle office. But the actual questions being asked were :

- If no one follows their passion, who innovates?
    - Who founds companies that provide jobs for the outstanding workers that your foundation aims to help?"

Instead of answering, he goes on talking about shitty singers in a TV contest. A great example of a person that one cannot have a conversation with. He might make good points ... but they are not quite relevant :)

And of course mastery is more important than wishful thinking. But in order to master something, a pretty good way to get started is to have some kind of interest in it, and for that, you better pick a field/job that you think you will like to begin with ...
  • ferrettank
    Offline / Send Message
    ferrettank polycounter lvl 2
    I don't like what Mike has to say about passion. Everyone starts off horrible. If the person is still bad at it, then practice more. Don't avoid things because you are bad at it. We only have one life, might as well do what we want with it. If you want to go into a tough career then go for it. Worst case scenario you will find something close to the dream industry.

IF his words are really true, then why would this list exist?
    http://www.onlinecollege.org/2010/02/16/50-famously-successful-people-who-failed-at-first/

I have never met someone who was bad at something after putting many hours into the craft.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I read through it, and while I can see both sides of the whole blah blah follow your passion blah blah be honest and tell them they suck it really depends on the person and what their actual passion is. (Some people are more realistic in their passions/goals than others)

While I'm a firm believer that practice and actually putting in the hours will work for many skills or professions, I know I can't be a professional singer or dunk hoops at a basketball court for money even if I had started out young. Those types of dreams are a bit more based on the physical properties you're born with, and then if you put in the hard work, rather then just working hard.

And then on the flip-side I'm actually all for having passions and dreams, it's awesome when something actually comes from a few of them. To say passions or dreams are bad is to basically give up on wanting to learn or do anything new and just live the same day over and over again. And when people have no passions or dreams, they can possibly enter a very dark state of mind...
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    pior wrote: »
    This is perfect example of someone not answering a question, but rather going on a tangent that just sounds vaguely related to the orignal subject. Sure, the "follow your dream" posters suck, especially when they are plastered on the walls of a shitty cubicle office. But the actual questions being asked were :

- If no one follows their passion, who innovates?
    - Who founds companies that provide jobs for the outstanding workers that your foundation aims to help?"

Instead of answering, he goes on talking about shitty singers in a TV contest. A great example of a person that one cannot have a conversation with. He might make good points ... but they are not quite relevant :)

And of course mastery is more important than wishful thinking. But in order to master something, a pretty good way to get started is to have some kind of interest in it, and for that, you better pick a field/job that you think you will like to begin with ...

I think he answered it very clearly: If you are passinate -and- realistically believe that your goals are achievable in respects to your abilties then by all means, go for it. He clarifies pretty well that he doesn't mean that no one should follow their passion, but rather that no-one should follow their passion -against situations that are clearly unrealistic-.. and certainly don't let your passions dissuade you from obvious opportunities
    ferrettank wrote: »
    I have never met someone who was bad at something after putting many hours into the craft.

I have :s, but that's only one side of what he's talking about. a lot of factors that come against your passionate journey are out of your control, like the job market, "shit happens" life situations, physical abilities, the way you look, etc

edit: HAVING SAID THAT... in respects to video game development, that's a pretty realistic goal for pretty much anyone technically competent, so no worries
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hm, interesting article.

I'd say this. Of course, when a kid has a dream about something, and he wants to realize that dream, it can be damaging to just tell him follow your dreams.

I mean, yo do have to be aware of your skills, possibilities to improve, and at the end, what's the chance of scoring a job at the end of the day.

But still, the story about that tank cleaner or what was it...i dunno really. How many times did i see people taking jobs that gives them money, but they barely like it or even dislike it.

If we like it or not, our job influence not just ourself, but our family as well. Sure you have to have a job, but having a job that gives you money, but you kinda hate it, i think will eventually influence not just yourself, but your family as well. I've been doing some jobs in past that does give you some money, but they just suck for me, since i really dislike them.

Once i got a job more towards what i hoped to work on, i really is a huge difference,when you don't go to work with "man i really don't wan to work today" and you spending rest of the day after job, thinking how you would do certain task, simply because it interests you that much.

There's also one thing. It all depends on the kind of job. I'd never in a million years good be a singer or dunno, formula 1 driver. I'm just not physically capable for something like that.

But, i could improve my drawing and painting skill at least to some degree, i could improve my coding skills a lot, and i could for sure work on my 3d skills. At least some of these are not really bound by physical properties of your body, like singing, but can be learned by almost anyone if given enough effort. Maybe they can't be best modeler ever, but i'd say enough atleast to have some hope for a job of some sort. SO you can't throw all jobs into the same basket.

So yeah....It is important that you are sure that you understand of all potential problems, and be prepared to fail, but i don't agree you should just give up before you even start exploring the area. I'd only suggest to try to explore some other areas that might interest you as well, just maybe not this much, that are easier to score a job.

AT the end of the day, i'd say, there are jobs that you'd like and jobs you'd never like. Sure the later might bring you more money, but you do have to have a job that you still find it rather interesting. I don't think it really works to just find some random job like that tank cleaner and force yourself to like it.

We spend like 1/3rd of our life at work. That's way too much time to just waste it on radom job you don't like. Rather explore if there might be something else you may like to work at, if you can't score job with the thing you like the most.....
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think it depends...

There are things that anyone can do. And thing that most people can do. And things that only some people can do. And things that very few people can do. Then there're also things that anyone would love to do. Things that some would love to do. Things that only a few people would love to do. And things that very few people would love to do. So far, that's only capability and passion. But we also have to think about availability/job market too.

Many 'dream jobs' people have, especially from childhood, are crazy. "I want to be an astronaut/president/superstar/etc etc!". Those are the jobs that very few people can do, and are available only to a few people; though everyone would love to. It just seems like matching game to me. Match your skills to your passion = win/win. Otherwise, prepare to struggle.
  • WarrenM
    Remember that the whole "follow your dreams" thing is a fairly modern concept in terms of human history. Mostly humans have always done what they needed to do to survive and feed their families.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    A passion for something should be developed, when you are sure you're good enough at something to make progress and improvement possible. Before that it's a little more than a whim.
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    I think the guy is just saying things are not magical in life and using your head and making sensible decisions may help you reach your goals much better than using pure emotions.

By the way innovations are also made daily by people who faces hardships in their line of work. Like inventing a "mine sweeper" attachemnt for excavators which clears forests and mines together allowing for a better future for the local people who went through a terrible war in the past.

This story is true by the way. And I bet none of you has ever heard the name of the guy who did that in your lives. But every one of us heard Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.

That's what he means.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    TAN wrote: »
    I think the guy is just saying things are not magical in life and using your head and making sensible decisions may help you reach your goals much better than using pure emotions.

I agree with that, it's almost never a good idea to act without thinking. Work smart, not hard.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Good read. Passion gets thrown around a lot, but passion by its nature is dumb. You better have more than passion at the ready.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Again, I am not saying that his rambling is all wrong in itself ; I am just saying that he did not answer the specific questions he was challenged with.

In other words, Stephen Adams wanted to take the discussion further, but that Mike guy just re-iterated the view that actually spawned the questions. It goes in circles ...
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    juniez wrote:
    I think he answered it very clearly: If you are passinate -and- realistically believe that your goals are achievable in respects to your abilties then by all means, go for it.

Guess what? Becoming a tradesman seems like 100% realistic goal for a person without physical disabilities.

It is impossible to objectively judge your potential when you're a newbie - or someone who practiced for a few years.
    What's more, even veterans can't tell for sure what your potential is. Present abilities can give you a vague idea of where you will be in few years but they don't say ANYTHING about your limitations.
    It is something you can only find out yourself.

Most people who claim that they stopped learning something because they were 'a hopeless case' could have accepted the fact that there's still a long way ahead of them and either start working their asses off more or lower their expectations.
    But they never seem to do that, they quit instead.
    Why? Because they're weren't very passionate after all.
    They kinda regret quitting but thankfully here comes the convenient excuse of "I have no talent" which puts their minds at ease.

Passion doesn't care about results, it's almost a form of addiction that makes you keep doing what you're doing even when you feel like your skills aren't improving much.

God knows how many times I felt like my guitar playing doesn't get better at all. But since I'm too addicted to quit I'm not gonna say "guitar is not for me".
    It's "I'm not there yet".
  • Eyofin
    Interesting read. Seems to me it's not a warning about following your passion, so much as it is about being blinded by it. The way I see it, there are two factors at work here; passion and realism. Passion is the force that drives you to keep on going. Realism is that awareness of, "I'm not there yet." I think Mike is warning about having too much passion and not enough realism. He mentions those people on American Idol that seem wholly unaware of how bad they sing. Similarly, I've met people pursuing art degrees that couldn't draw a straight line if you handed them a ruler. Is it possible for these people to work at their craft and improve until they're at a professional level? I'd like to think so, but the problem lies in the fact that they don't seem to understand how unskilled they are in the first place. They take the advice of "follow your passion" and don't stop to look at anything else.

People here at polycount might have a hard time understanding, because for the most part y'all seem to have the mentality of "I love this craft so I'm going to keep on going, despite sucking, until I don't suck as much." Keep in mind that there are many, many people out there that simply aren't aware of the fact that they suck, and I believe those are the people Mike is addressing. If someone with a bunch of half-finished zbrush blobs applies to be a senior character artist, what's your response? I'd assume it would be to explain to them why there's absolutely no chance they'll get that job and direct them towards the fundamentals of human anatomy. Aka, to give them that dose of realism, because without it, passion doesn't do you any favors at all.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    In other words, Stephen Adams wanted to take the discussion further, but that Mike guy just re-iterated the view that actually spawned the questions. It goes in circles ...
    I think he clarified his point pretty well. Stephen asked "well if no one follows their passion then...", Mike responded and reiterated that he is not saying everyone shouldn't follow their passion. Its not circular, if he's not talking about people with the ability to progress then there's little point in bringing them up for a 'gotchya'.

Basically, its addressed to the millions of people who applied for American Idol and not the 156 who actually made it on (a metaphor that works in other jobs too).
  • slipsius
    Good read, I thought.

Passion, in my mind, is an overrated word. Anytime people talk about getting good at something, they usually throw passion in there. You have to be passionate about it to really succeed. passion passion passion. But the truth of the matter is that passion doesn't get you to where you need to be. It's barely even a factor in it. Hard work gets you there. Effort gets you there. Focus gets you there. Consistency gets you there. Passion is in no way fused to any of those. You can absolutely love something beyond belief, be passionate about something, but if you don't put in a true effort, your passion means jack all.

Passion isn't another word for putting in the time or effort. Passion is just how you feel when you are doing the work. That sense of bliss that sweeps over you when you are doing what you love. That is passion. It has nothing to do with ones ability or reach. Putting in the time with always make you better at something, but not everyone will be capable of being as great as the person next to them. You could put 1000 hours into something, and not be as good as someone who put in 100 hours. That doesn't mean you are less passionate about it than the other person. You could be way more passionate about it. Each person has their own limits. Just because you reach for the stars doesn't mean you`ll be able to grab onto one. You should reach far, but eventually you`ll need to grab onto something before you fall. There is no shame in grabbing onto something closer with one hand, and reaching with the other. Find a job that lets you pay your bills, and follow your passion as a hobby. When you`re good enough at your hobby, find a way to turn it into a paying gig.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Cryid : I see what you mean, but still, the person asking the question never asked him to clarify his point, since he most likely already heard it before. Two very specific questions were asked, and instead of an answer a lengthy rambling was issued. It happens a lot when talking to people who like the sound of their own voice a bit too much :)

Now of course I agree with the part about a lot people being delusional, with an inflated sense of self, thinking that dreams come easy. But that's a bit of an obvious thing to point out isn't it ?

As usual when a conversation goes in circles like that (I stand by that point !), it's all just a problem of semantics and word meaning. The person asking the question was talking about passion as drive and dedication ; but the person replying was talking about passion in the sense of people with stars in their eyes thinking they'll be on TV soon. These are two very different things.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    To me passion is needed to help push you through the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Dip-Little-Teaches-Stick/dp/1591841666"]Dip[/ame]. It's what tells you to keep going when things aren't easy or fun. If you don't have the passion or the need to push through, you'll quit and move on to something easier and more fun. Because why sludge through mud if you don't care that much?

But to me that's pretty much it. You still need to make wise decisions, research (learn), and work very hard. Passion is not a substitute for hard work and research, but they can and should be complimentary of each other.