Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer and cloth/fabric

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
So I wanted to try to make some patterned fabric in Substance Designer but am having a tough time with making a convincing looking "cotton/canvas" material. I was doing some reading on the forum here and I read that PBR doesn't handle fabric particularly well because it doesn't conform to the microfacet theory, and that the fresnel effect is different than for other surfaces. I know the old method was adding a softer more exaggerated fresnel effect, but since PBR handles that under the hood you can't really change that. (as far as I'm aware)

Thoughts?

Replies

• billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    If you're rendering in Marmoset, you can change the diffusion module to mircrofiber which allows you to add the "fuzz" fresnel effect. If you're rendering in most modern game engines there should be a way to add a fresnel effect manually in the shader or material. If you're only rendering in SD then you might have some trouble.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I was just making sure there wasn't some "Oh use this node, derp" kind of solution. I'll probably just set it up in SD with a base color and a high value roughness, do all the pattern/multi material stuff and just worry about the other "fabricy" effects in UE 4.