Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sketch Exchange! Makkon Vs Muzz.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
So Makkon and I have been buddies since before we both really posted at polycount at the old polykarbon forums. We did a sketch exchange back there about 6 years ago.

So how this works, One person posts a sketch and the other person reinterprets it, and then vice versa till we get bored of this. We're going to keep this fast and light.

I'mma start it off.

QzMUIg7.jpg?1

Ps I need a scanner

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    I took this a little further. This is also serving dual duty as a workflow test for a shortfilm I'm aiming to make this year.

8mk0Ekm.jpg
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Ahhh I botches so many things.
    I wasn't digging the pancho, so I tried something else. I tried to simplify the android mechanics in places, but I dunno.

I'll have something for you soon!
    1-07-2014_androidgirl.png
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice!

It's interesting how you simplified the mechanical muscles to kind of large flanks, it gives it kind of this raw pork appearance, and i really like how the heel juts out like that.

You also made her a lot older than i was aiming for, that being said androids with an aged appearance are an interesting idea. Do they have bodies that can stretch and grow as they age, and if so why would you engineer that?

I dig the pattern on the cloak, it's a much more modern sci-fi take i think.

Overall, sweet job! :D
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Glad you liked it! I'm not familiar with the story, I just made her look older as I figured an android would be modeled at around 20. No worries, though. Glad you like the pattern too!
    I'm not happy with the face at all though.

Here! Draw a squidgirl!
    01-07--2014_legeia.png
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The face on the previous one was bothering me. Overall, my faces in general have been bothering me. Typically I can make them look okay with just lines, but when it comes to form there is definitely things that I can work on, and things about faces that I don't fully understand. 2015 is a whole year to work on that. :)

Left is old, right is new

1-07-2014_androidgirl_facecorrection.png

[EDIT]

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU
    1-07-2014_androidgirl_facecorrection2.png
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Hey guys. cool idea "bouncing off each other."

just have some feedback on makkon's character. i believe her head/face is way to big. Here i've reduced her head so she is 7 heads high (was 6). Ideally should be 7.5. I think you'll agree it looks a little more natural.

anyway. Just thought i'd point it out. great style btw. Will keep an eye on this thread.

2pt4che.jpg
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Ahh! Thanks Stinger! I tend to make my heads too large, I really got to work on that. I went ahead and made that change, and she looks a lot better.

1-07-2014_androidgirl_fix.png
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome improvements dude! Robo Natalie portman :D!

Ok so i confess i haven't inked anything on paper in a very very long time, so this was a bit of an experiment. I might slap on some colours a bit later.

She is a pretty fun character. not a common female build, as she is built like a swimmer. I like the depth you put into this version of her as well, very cool.
    pITBCiD.png
    I'll get your next sketch done pretty quickly.

EDIT:

I also did some head sketches, to get an idea of her character, and here is the pencil version as i like it too. http://i.imgur.com/khrWkeb.png

9zMceCR.png
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    YYYEEEAAAHHHHH!!! I love Love LOVE what you did with her shorts/swim trunks! They look so much more functional and a lot less rigid.
    Your faces are getting a lot better man, this is a really dynamic drawing! I just noticed the gills on the ribcage, that's cool too.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, she was a ton of fun to draw.

Here is something a bit different,

A Paul Bonner inspired space orc.

XVcYr0A.jpg
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Bam! That actually was pretty fun, though I changed a lot about the design.
    01-09-2015_spaceorc.png
    I'll have something up for the weekend :)
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Sick!

Looking back i probably should have spent more time on that sketch, it's a bit rough. i guess i'll use that as a lesson going forward to push myself more!
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dado!

Going back to paper made me realize i actually kind of suck at drawing, so all of my efforts are going into lines and just trying to drill myself and make actually good drawings poses and ideas. It's been kind of liberating. And Makkon is a really intimidatingly awesome sketch partner!

And yeah, lets get more of these going! You should challenge someone! Maybe AlanP, Two Listen or BagelHero?
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    This thread is officially white hot!
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    That's awesome to hear, Dado! Must mean I'm doing something right :)

Sorry for the wait, Muzz. Here ya go! A spear weilding lady. For a while I've fantasized of a game that was a fusion of Rayman Legends and Super Smash Brothers. Maybe someday I can learn enough C# to prototype it.
    01-12-2015_spearLady.png
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Rad! I'll get onto it :D!!!

Cool little character, i like her proportions a lot.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    7vqds0a.jpg

Here is my reply.

I did it in a flat perspective because of the game aspect.

I'll get the next sketch up soon!

EDIT:
    Makkon said to post this one too.
    10932045_705835752869381_701185132_n.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so i took a while on this as we both decided to try and stick to designs for personal projects rather than random sketches. It's more fun that way.

RGYUTth.jpg
    ZG07Fve.jpg

So this character is the friend of the android girl, she is fully human, and i wanted a character that was kind of bubbly and upbeat in comparison to android girl. I tried to make that come across in her clothing and with how i designed her face, and clothing.

She would probably be in her early 20's but looks young for her age.
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Ha, dope, looking forward to everything going to happen in here!
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    real nice thread! entertaining to watch, you both are very good, but also have different styles, makes it more interesting!

muzz i like the style on the space orc and the squid girl! also, what kind of project is the andriod girl thingy? a game? that would be sweet.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :D!!!

Stick, The project is a short animation that I'm going to be doing this year. Animated on paper, coloured digitally. It's gonna be awesome and also the hardest thing i've ever done.