Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mutated Lab Rat Character

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lukazguzman polycounter lvl 5
Hi there!
I made this character to enter the Riot Games Contest! I didn't have the time to finish it as I wish I could.. So I keep on going now, and I would like to show some progress in here!
Here is the Beauty Shot I submitted:
rac-17.jpg

And here is some extra retouching I've been doing, while learning a bit of Mari for hand painted textures!
rac-21.jpg
And a little animation... This is the unholster animation, and the idle loop.
ratani1.gif

Any critique will be appreciated! :)

http://www.lukazguzman.com
http://www.furiouspoly.com

Replies

• lukazguzman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I’m working on a little interactive demo for this character. Here is a setup of a unity scene, with the character following where you click, and shooting at targets (if it is out of range, it will run to position itself close enough to shot) and if you press space he will holster and unholster his gun.
    I’ll work on the scenario and some more interaction on the days to come!

EDIT:
    Oh shit, polycount doesnt accept vimeo videos :(
    you will have to click here and go see it if you are so kind! :)

First preview of Rat Lab Twitch, interactive demo
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    This is awesome man! I love the concept, the gun with the arm, and that his brain is showing! My only critique is that your material definition for the metal and non-skin surfaces could use a little more tuning, but the skin itself looks great! I'm sorry you missed the deadline, this is really rad.
  • lukazguzman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, thank you sooo soo much! :)
    And maybe you know, but the shader of LOL is flat, no lightning, no specular, no normals! Just plain diffuse. So, with that being said, did you mean I should paint those parts some other how? If so, I believe I'm lacking reference then! Any suggestions of a good well done hand painted texture you might suggest for me? :)
  • lukazguzman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just spent a bunch of hours on my first tileable hand painted texture!
    Here it goes!
    rac-22.jpg
    floor-tilesc.jpg
  • lukazguzman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is the decoy to be used in this little demo! Again, I made the base in 3Dsmax, then polypainted in zbrush and finally baked colors with xnormal.

rac-23.jpg
    rac-24.jpg
    rac-25.jpg

That rat doesn't look too happy with its new friends around! :)

I'm thinking it would be good to find a shader that draws a stroke around the characters, much like LOL.

And I would really appreciate some crit's on my painting techniques! These are the first few hand painted models I make!
    Thanks!!!