Home General Discussion

Using Zbrush premade base meshes? Yay or Nay?

If been learning Zbrush this past 2months and I came to the realization that remaking a base body & face for every character will take alot of time that could rather have been spent making the full character.

So my question is, is it ok to use some premade base mesh for making my own characters? An anatomically accurate body and face then just adding and tweaking it to make my own character.

On the one side, It makes sense that it would be unnecessary to sculpt an entire anatomy base and face, kinda like reinventing the wheel.

On the other side, using someone else's base mesh to make my own character will kinda make me feel guilty, but like I said, will spare me hours of effort.

Do any of you use premade base meshes?

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If someone can't tell you started from the provided base mesh, it shouldn't matter? Whatever works.
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    Using a basemesh is a common thing in the industry. It allows the character artist to save time, having the same topology for every character makes the rigging process quicker, etc.

That being said, I would personnally avoid using a basemesh (especially someone else's!) if you are simply beginning. Learning anatomy properly takes years, and it's a necessary skill to develop if you want to make good characters. Cutting corners won't help you in the long run. :thumbup:
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    You don't have to make a new basemesh for EVERY character. I've been using the same basemesh for most of my characters.

The problem with premade basemesh is that they don't always suit your needs or the way you like to work/sculpt. Making your own basemesh can only be benefical.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    I start with pre-made male and female figures when doing freelance work to speed up the time it takes to complete a character. When doing personal work I always start from scratch to get anatomy practice in, and to create new base meshes for professional work. Your skill is also going to improve the more you do it, so using the same mesh forever is only going to perpetuate your inferior anatomy understanding from whenever you made it, rather than staying current with your skill level.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    it helps for production, but it doesn't really help the learn process.
    you will be too afraid to do something outside the topology./base silhouette range ..
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Make your own base meshes. If you base mesh isn't up to par with others that you find online or come with zBrush - then you should practice making more until yours are as good.

When it comes to practice, I think you should take your time and do everything yourself to the best of your abilities. When it comes to production, there are no rules, short of ripping off someone else's artwork, anything goes if it saves you time.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    As above, while starting out, just make your own basemeshes so that you learn what makes a good base mesh, and some extra anatomy.

If you're at the point where you have to ask whether using a basemesh is a good idea or not, then you're clearly at the point where learning to make your own basemesh is the best way to do things.

Now, if you're in a production and need to get things out on a deadline, then use a basemesh, it's an industry standard time saving technique. Most professional 3D artists have libraries of base meshes, and other kitbash props to reuse. The key is to work it enough so that it's no longer a basemesh.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    xvampire wrote: »
    it helps for production, but it doesn't really help the learn process.
    you will be too afraid to do something outside the topology./base silhouette range ..

Is this really an issue with tools like dynamesh and zremesher?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    not technically but more like artistic issue, like for instance in traditional sculpture new student already given template sculpture in every assignment
  • Christo Oosthuizen
    Thanks for all the answers guys!

Im down with learning anatomy and have already spend some time on understanding it.
    I get that understanding anatomy is important for making realistic and stylized characters.

At this stage id rather try and delve deeper into ZB and start making full complete characters to the point where I can start texturing, rigging and animating them.