Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Any tutorials for submitting wepaons to workshop?

I've submitted cosmetics before and it's easy with the workshop importer, however that doesn't work with weapons. Is there any in-depth tutorial how to do so? I've seen in gcfscape that weapons have some .phy file as well, so I'm looking for a full guide how to do everything, along with animations (the weapon in question is a spy knife for which I'd like to use the Your Eternal Reward/Kunai animations. Using 3ds Max 2012 if that helps

Replies

• Avagantamo
    An excerpt from HellJumpers tutorial:

Modeling / Exporting a weapon is a very similar process to hat making. The key difference lies in the fact that instead of using the bone rig of the character model, we will be using the bones of a pre-existing weapon that we want to replace. So for example, if we wanted to make a Sandman replacement, we wouldn't import the scout model, but rather the Sandman model to see what bones it comes with. The following is a process on how to export a weapon from Blender (c_models):
    Start a fresh, blank blender scene.
    Extract a model that you want to replace from the team fortress 2 materials GCF (tf/models/weapons/c_models). Make sure to grab the .mdl file and any associated file (.vvd, .phy, etc)
    Hex the extracted .mdl file by opening the file with notepad++ and changing the "IDST0" to "IDST,".
    Decompile the hexed model file to get your weapon smd file.
    Import the weapon smd into Blender.
    Make your model without altering the imported decompiled model, and when you are ready, superimpose your model directly on top of the decompiled weapon. Make sure the properties of your model are all normal (you can check this by pressing "n" and making sure your scaling is all 1 and your positions are all 0. If they aren't just make sure you change them, and then reposition your model in edit mode).
    Delete the decompiled weapon and assign the remaining bones to your model via the vertex groups panel. You can check to see that you assigned each bone to the appropriate vertex group via weight-paint mode. Melee weapons usually only have 1 bone whereas more complicated weapons will have a variety of bones that may or may not be shared between different groups of vertices. It is probably advisable to start with something simple like a melee weapon and work your way up to a more complicated model such as the huntsman (complicated!)
    Now that you have assigned the bones to your model, the process is the same as exporting a hat.

This is taken from the old tutorial; I'm not sure if it'll apply now if the importer has been changed.
  • CaptainGoodstuff
    This one is pretty good: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTY0U8UL8Ts[/ame]

Essentially you're replacing a weapon that's already in game. So if you find the right one and decompile it correctly, and your weapon isn't too complicated, you can re-use most of the files that the in-game weapon is using.
  • Stock
    Are there any tutorials for doing this with Blender/Gimp?
  • alex morgan
    Hi everyone,
    I think this might be of interest to you. Our new tool – 3D pen that can also solder, burn and cut is now on Kickstarter: [*http://bit.ly/3DSimoMini*]
    I would be happy if you could share the idea if you like it, back us or even post your comment here to give us feedback.
    Thank you!
    video:*https://youtu.be/-7qZjPF2X_I
  • Stock
    Did he accidentally post this to the wrong thread?