Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Coontang polycounter lvl 5
I just finished updating my website and I could use some feedback please :) Thanks in advance.

http://ben3d.co.uk/

Some examples :

musketeer_5.jpg

p90_1.jpg

beretta_96a1_9.jpg

Replies

• Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    You've got some incredible work there, especially the musketeer. I can't see much that could be improved on them other than the fact that the plastic on the P90 feels a bit too glossy. So I'll focus most of my critique on the web-design and presentation instead (in no particular order):
    1. I don't really think the logo works very well. I mean I get what you're going for but in my opinion it doesn't look very nice. I would either have it just spell out Ben3D or your full name without any overlap.
    2. The overall colors feel too contrasted. I would try to make the textboxes and background colors much closer to each other.
    3. The borders around each image is too thick and as with the last suggesting the colors of the borders and the images is again too contrasted. The colors are a bit more difficult to fix here as the background colors vary from project to project, but I think it's pretty necessary as the frames are more distracting as opposed to complimenting of your images.
    4. The menu items don't seem to be aligned with anything really, which makes look a bit off.
    5. Use mailto links, both in the footer and on the contact page.
    6. Change the label of the home button to portfolio or gallery as that would be more descriptive of where it actually takes you.
    7. Change 'Other Work' header to '2D Work' or 'Concept Art', again to be more descriptive of where you actually land after clicking it.
    8. Make the footer box smaller.
    9. If possible try to work in your email address somewhere in the banner. Then you can just remove the contact page as it is almost useless if you just have your email there, as opposed to links to email, social media, youtube and such.

I was also expecting some kind of more formal resume or CV. I don't know if it's necessary or not, but it seems to be something that's just expected on your portfolio.

I would also like to see some of your textures as well, but I can understand not showing them off. I don't show mine off either.

So to sum things up your content is great, but your presentation could use some additional polish.
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coontang polycounter lvl 5
    That's some really great feedback, thanks a lot. I will work through the list as best I can and also add some texture breakdowns and maybe more wireframes. I would need to update my CV before adding that but It's on the list too.