Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Tileable Textures

Hey guys!

I'm currently developing some tileable textures for a University project and I wanna get some feedback from you wonderful people. These will all be used in game so I wanna get them as perfect as possible. I will keep updating this thread with new textures and improved textures.

The list of textures:

Snowy Cobblestones
Cobblestones
Dirt Path
Lava Floor
Water
Lava
Burnt Grass
Grass

UfwfYek.png
KGJa6gq.png

I have done an initial cobblestone, any feedback is appreciated. I wasn't sure if this is the right forum since they will be in a 3D game, if this needs moving to the 2D forum please let me know!

Thanks a lot everyone!

Replies

• ChrisFagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gave dirt a go, any suggestions?

lJy2M0l.png

I replaced the image with a tiled 1024/1024 one instead.

A friend saw it and told me to reduce the amount of pebbles in the texture, so here's that. What do you think?

8Wjy5Sp.png
  • Awoken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Chris, first of all let me start by saying I am no expert at hand painted textures so please don't take my comments as expert opinion, this is more from a viewers perspective.

This looks like a really nice start, I can see you have the fundamentals of the process down, I just think the textures lack a little something, something to make them stand out and 'pop'. I think this is certainly the case with the first cobblestones texture.

With the second cobblestones texture, it might be worth putting a little snow on top of some of the stones, that might make it more obvious that it is snow.

I do notice the tiling in the textures but I not sure if that's more because I'm looking for it. Having more unique elements in your tiling textures can make them stand out. In the first cobblestone texture, the dark blue stones draw my eye immediately due to the contrast in colours, which gives away the tiling. This happens again in the dirt texture due to two of the stones having smaller stones on top of them, they stand out more and my eye notices the repeating pattern.

Again, I stress, please take this with a pinch of salt, I am by no means an expert with this. I'm not sure if you have seen these threads before, (they are both by Jessica Dinh who is fantastic at this style) they could be a massive help to you:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87797

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105526
  • ChrisFagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awoken - Thanks a lot for the comment! I'll check out those threads, they seem really useful. I'll work on the tiling, try and mix it up more and I'll try to add a little pop to them. Thanks again, I'll get started as soon as I get back to my laptop!
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    As Awoken already said, it looks like a good start but could use some refinement.
    Especially the snow doesn't really read like snow, I think it is too uniform on the stones.
    Shouldn't the snow lay more on top of the stones( since it comes down from above) rather than in EVERY edge between the stones?

And I would highly recommend to check out this awesome tutorial by Jamin Shoulet, it's long but filled with awesomeness and very helpfull techniques:
    part 1:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GWVez_UHM[/ame]
    part 2:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSFKEvH6ZJA[/ame]

Good luck :D
  • ChrisFagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon - Thanks for the videos, I'll have to get through them over the next few days. Thanks a lot
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    Try working with bigger stones in your cobblestone texture, so you will have less of them, and can focus more on each one rather than spreading yourself thin. Also, more importantly, lowering the density of the bricks might read better.

keep going, never stop.
  • ChrisFagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar - Thanks! I think I will redo the cobblestone. Make them bigger and I can work on the snow better. Will post updates tomorrow!
  • ChrisFagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those videos were very cool and really worth watching. I took a little break from the tileables and worked a little on some hand painted foliage to be used on planes. Our game is isometric so these should work perspective wise.

BzHN7NJ.png
    b1dQWq6.png
    drcviNu.png
  • ChrisFagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on a lava texture. Still got work to do but for now, bed. Any feedback is appreciated as always.

rGhJjKT.png
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    There is a huge disconnect between the rocks and the lava. The lava has no glowing feeling, and the rocks do not feel like they have depth inside the lava. You almost want the lava to be radiating through the rocks with a little bit of fake subsurface scattering.

This thread might help you with some tips on how to get a good lava look, and also other general handpainted tips.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125737
  • ChrisFagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bardler - Thank you for the feedback and the link, I'll be sure to check it out!

I gotta say, this forum has been so delightful and helpful, so thanks again to everyone who is helping out, I really do appreciate it.
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metric meditation polycounter lvl 5
    I still find it funny to see people post vids of me despite that they are a few years old I did not give the school permission to post them :P
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    They are good videos :D