Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Six Armed Character

Base
polygon
Offline / Send Message
Base polygon
Hello all! I've been working on this model for a while now, partly for my own interests in animation and partly to help me build a proper portfolio.

I've been banging on this model for a while, but I feel like I've hit a brick wall when it comes to the hair. I wanted a sort of cartoony style to the hair; I didn't want to use hair strips or anything like that. But I'm having trouble getting it to look like hair when I sculpt it. I took a lot of care in the anatomy of the arms and how they connect, but if anyone thinks it could be improved, I'd love the critique.

The body is retopologized from a sculpt already.

TKgbgBr.png

nJYcupM.png

nd2B5cN.png

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Were you going for a high poly model like you have? Its good for what your goal is - animating, but you could`ve had it a lot lower on poly count, get rid of these unnecessary edge loops and keep all the detail on it using normal map.
    And about the hair, I dont know a lot about animating hair, but I think you could retopo it aswell and rig it same as you rig the body so you can animate it.
    Maybe you could add an edge loop on elbows and knees, from the back view it seems like youre missing and edge loop below the knee and from the front view it seems like youre missing one right below biceps, it seems like it would bend weird.
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Thanks for the response! Yes, this was intended to be higher poly than you might see usually. The lack of loops on the inside of the knees and elbows is a little trick I learned that helps the arm bend more believably, rather than having multiple edge loops collapsing in on itself it's only one and it feels more natural; with a simple skin texture, it's completely masked from view and produces pretty good results usually.

My issue with the hair is that it feels too blobby and dull. I suppose that's a fault of my own skill at sculpting, and maybe it will look better when I retopologize it. It's at least worth a shot.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Do you have any references/examples of what the style of hair should look like from existing films or games? Don't waste effort re-topoing a sculpt that doesn't look right to you, it'll still turn out looking off.
    Also, body's looking cool, but the face could use some more work. If you're up to it, or have another project which you could apply the feedback on, then I'd be happy to write up some pointers for you? Just on phone right now.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What software do you have available?
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Hey, thanks for the responses guys.

The hair that I was going for was something similar to Guilty Gear XRD's style, though I realize that has a lot of shader shenanigans to help it look like that. I'd love more pointers! All of this is certainly WIP and I'm happy to continue tweaking it, so whatever critiques you have would be great.

The software I have available is Blender and Maya 2015 (educational license from college). I've tried Z brush before but I never really liked the interface and how it works, and Blender's dynamic topology sculpting is easier to work with for me anyways.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey, no problem. Now that I'm back at my desk, super long post ahoy!

And well, Zbrush is industry standard for a reason. It's powerful and you can do a lot with it, I would suggest at some point trying to drop the initial qualms with the UI and testing it again with a more open mind about it-- yeah, it's really unintuitive about some things (especially if you're trying to approach it from the perspective of coming from other 3D apps) but it's well worth it for the extra power and smart tools.

Now, back to the task at hand. For a style like that, I don't know if Blender's Sculpting set has "subtools" or "extraction" as it were, but something like this could do the trick in a nice clean way.
    daniel-orive-72552-10344555-5a-jpg.jpg?1413849765
    (by: Daniel Orive)

Alternatively, maybe there's something like this you could do which could easily achieve a similar effect?
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLoL19_0nDQ[/ame]

Else, I actually kinda want to suggest just modeling it. Sculpting stuff like this gets muddy fast without using things like TrimDyn and Curves/Extracts, and I'm not familiar with how far Blender's Sculpting toolset goes. Modeling it would give you much more control over the shapes you're making.

Speaking of, try to separate this hair into sections (on your concept, or as a mock up on a screenshot): try to understand the logic behind how those sections interact with one another. An example using XRD.
    549d46c855c0a.png

You can really see how they modeled the hair segments pretty clearly in the "before the shader/after the shader" shots:
    063_1.jpg
    061_2.jpg

So break that down, plan ahead for your own model and see what you can come up with. Sometimes just noodling around to see what works is more effort than it's worth, going in with a solid plan can be incredibly helpful. :thumbup:

I'm going to go ahead and stress here that I really like your topology/flow, though I'm unsure about how it'll function. As long as you've tested these patterns before and you know they don't cause deformation issues, then power to ya. I like the smart definition with it.
    Some suggestions for form, though, because despite having nice flow and some really appealing forms, there's a couple that read just a little bit off on first glance.
    549d4b9921fcc.png

Also, something I just noticed as I'm writing this. I'm unsure of what direction you're taking this or the backstory/details of the character, but this might be an odd detail: the hips are constructed like a females'. Is this a girl, a boy or neither? Because that might be just fine/exactly what you wanted, or it might be a problem. Probably in a "fine, but keep an eye out for this in the future" category.

Finally, face stuff. Don't know what you're going for without a concept, so I'm a little unsure if this is a fully blown creature or not. But two things. The eyes should be about one eye-width apart: yours are a bit close together here. Also, lips. Yours seem like they were sculpted on top of the face, without properly following the curvature of the face nor thinking about the proper forms of the lips:
    uNfVKQ01.png
    xlarge-Head-neck-Secrets-157.jpg
    xlarge-Head-neck-Secrets-158.jpg
    xlarge-Head-neck-Block-outs-145.jpg

(In fact just go here: https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/anatomy.php)

IDK if that helps much, but I'm fairly bad with words sometimes. I hope it can help clarify, at least. Don't mean to nag you about zBrush, either, but I felt a similar way when I started using it, too, and I don't think it's worth handicapping yourself in this area if you want to do characters commercially at any point.

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. :poly121:
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Hey, that's super helpful! I'll tweak the musculature, rework the face and take a shot at the hair with this new information. I'm pretty well versed with modeling aside from sculpting so I think I agree that it might be better for me to just plan it out and go for it that way. And you're definitely right about the lips, those could use a total revamp.

Thanks a ton!
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Alright, here we go, made some improvements as per the suggestions.

runiBUq.png

Worked on the lips, changed the spacing on the eyes/adjusted the ratio for the whole eye/eyebrow area, added a mouthsock with some simplified teeth and tongue (I want them to look really simple so they're nothing special for now)

vcpWgDW.png
    Also added more muscle mass around the neck for the upper pair of shoulders, and smoothed out the transition of the thumb to the wrist.

Gonna start planning out the hair now! Thanks for the help so far, guys.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Improvements are shaping up really well!

I'd keep an eye on the line you have for the transition between the cheeks and the mouth area-- usually those landmark changes would go around the nostrils-- but this character doesn't have any of those shapes. Still, having them point to where the nostril slits/nose ends seems a bit uncomfortable, and perhaps they should be originating from just above where the nostrils start, at the top of them. This should stop the cheeks from feeling a little bloated on some angles, as well. In the end, it's your choice as to whether or not this change is worth it, but having it modeled that way at least will help with animating expressions if you have any intent on doing that. Just woke up from a nap so if any of this needs clarification, just ask, lol.

Looking forward to seeing how you approach the hair! :)
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    That's actually a good point... As it is now the mouth area feels too small (Which is certainly not what I wanted, since I want him to have a really expressive face). I'll have to do some sketches and figure out some way to make that anatomy work without losing the idea entirely... Thanks for the heads up, though!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    That's a great idea, exploration is always good. Pro-tip: The corners of the mouth generally line up with the middle of each eye when relaxed. That's an "ideal", of course, you can mess with it to different effect.
    08.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you intending to strictly box model this all out?
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Well the body and face were sculpted then retopologized by hand (So basically box modeled but using the sculpt as a guide). I'm still figuring out how I want to do the hair, so I'm just placing some pieces to figure out what I'll need ultimately to achieve the look I want.

dsmcIoA.png

I'm thinking about how I want to do the mouth area now. I think the best way will be to pull the nostrils down so that the nose still has a more human look, while keeping the 'squished' effect that I wanted. That way I can have the mouth area look pretty normal while retaining the concept I wanted, and still have a good range for expressions. Of course the density of the mesh around there is a bit much, so it'll be a bit tedious to rework, but hopefully will be worth it.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have ZBrush by any chance?
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    just get zbrush. it's easier and faster. trust me
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    I don't really have the money to buy zbrush, and it appears even the student versions are about 400 dollars. I don't really have much choice, do I?
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Yeah, it's bloody expensive, the fact there's no real trial or student version is bullhockey. I'll repeat that when you get the chance you should try it again with a more open approach, but I can't exactly expect someone to just waltz out and drop $600+ on a program they're not sold on. :/ Use what you have access to. You could try out Mudbox's Student version at some point if you're feeling experimental on the sculpting front, but I don't think it's worth switching programs right now.
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Yeah I suppose Mudbox is my only other option. In other news, I am making some progress, at least in the setup of the hair and face. I'm resculpting the mouth area a bit to get a better result with the geometry I have. On that front, I'm wondering how realistic I need the lips to look, especially if I'm going to be doing much more cartoony expressions. I'll have to see how TF2 models did their geometry for the mouths.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You should be able to get a hold of some TF2 models pretty easy, just Google that. Pretty sure you can actually get some of the in-game models sans-rigs from the game files (using an SMD importer for Maya, unsure if there's one for 2015), but there are plenty of downloads. They're pretty good reference, since they're super expressive. Off the top of my head, realism shouldn't be required at all. It's just a good start to know what stuff looks like in real life, and you simplify from there. :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's also Sculptris, which is a watered-down version of ZBrush, if you want to try something that's close.
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    PXDewtJ.png

Here's an update on the face and hair at the current stage. I reworked the lips and nose to fit the new laugh line/mouth area. I think this hair shape is pretty close to what I want ultimately, the problem now is figuring out how I want to achieve the final look... I'll try mudbox/sculptris and see if sculpting in those will help me finalize it.
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabiomsilva polycounter lvl 8
    i spent a bit more than 500$ for Zbrush many years ago. Best piece of software i ever bought! totally worth it! :)

in my experience mudbox isnt as great to sculpt(its nice for texturing tho) . sculptris i have no idea