Home General Discussion

Am I overcharging for Art Assets: Freelance Question

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Can I email anyone who's freelanced before about whether I am crunching my numbers incorrectly and overcharging people for assets?

I've been on hourly since Uni ended a year ago, so I have no context for what is reasonable.

Replies

• Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    That's a good question Jade! I'd be interested to know as well if there's a "standard" as I'd like to do some freelancing in the future.

I know it might be a bit taboo, so if you guys got an answer but don't want to discuss it publicly it'd be nice if you could drop me a PM as well. Cheers! :)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Hey everyone, as someone that hires freelancers for all sorts of things at my job, let me tell you this. There is no standard. Not even close. Some are cheaper, some are more expensive. Sometimes I don't care what I pay, sometimes I have a tight budget. Everyone just has to experiment to see how much they can get from clients.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aesir, would you encourage as responsible freelancers to just respectfully negotiate a best price as much as possible?

I think what scares me personally, both as a very nubile industry professional and a younger man, that people don't say to me that "That price is unreasonable for us. Can you do X?" and instead just say "No" avoiding additional emails (which I totall understand, time is of the essence.)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    When I started out, I used this as a guide.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance#Freelance_Rates

Id also factor in how strong your work is and if you have experience working in a company.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for some reading!

I wonder what my value is then, because off the cuff, been making games for almost 5 years, interned at Blizzard, Reverge Labs, worked at TapZen and on Disney projects, but I'm only 22 and it's been a year since uni ended for me.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Aesir, would you encourage as responsible freelancers to just respectfully negotiate a best price as much as possible?

I think what scares me personally, both as a very nubile industry professional and a younger man, that people don't say to me that "That price is unreasonable for us. Can you do X?" and instead just say "No" avoiding additional emails (which I totall understand, time is of the essence.)

That's just one of the risks you take. If I have a lot of people I'm asking to quote for a job, I'm probably not gonna negotiate with all of them. If I'm just talking to the one person, then I might try and get something lower.

All you can do is try ask for enough money that you'd be happy doing the job for that amount.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I quote quite a bit over the average. But then again I have a lot of experience, so people are more accepting about paying more. I figured what my expenses are, and what rate i need to maintain, plus a buffer for the slow times.

I also adjust my rates based on how much I need the work. When I'm really busy I charge high.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric, how do you personally calculate how much you should, or want to, be bringing in each year assuming you want to exponentially be increasing your annual earnings each year?

I'm assuming month to month burn is "easily" calculated with a personal budget, but what about personal wealth?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not in this business to get wealthy. I do it because I love making art, and getting paid a reasonable wage. I'm not going to be wealthy, unless I'm running a business with significant growth potential, or I join a startup that takes off. Could happen, but being a biz guy is not my thing. I'm happy where I am, and the path I've chosen. If you want exponential wealth... wrong business. ;)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    hehe yep there are definitely others jobs to become rich with.

but really do the math, we can't do it for you. how much do you need? how much do you want to put aside or invest or whatever. thats your rate.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    its pretty strange though , theres no real way to know if you over or undercharge compared to others
    unless you straight up ask them. and then you`re usually presented with "calculate". I do understand that prices vary from person to person and their cost of living but if you dont have any kind of average to go off by you could easily undercharge because of the risk of a company not wanting to go with you because you ask too much or overcharge and actually have the company say no thanks.

you also cant ask the company what they usually spend on freelancers because then they`ll see that as a sign of you not knowing what to charge and lowball you.

and this is how you get into this situation were professionals are cursing students for driving prices down but wont really give any clear figures of what are the minimum and maximum prices to go by

edit: nvm just saw this link http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance#Freelance_Rates
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's a guide. But it also just comes down to quoting a rate, and seeing what people are willing to spend. If you're not getting jobs, lower your rate. If you're getting jobs, raise your rate on the next job.

It also helps a lot to find out what their budget is before you quote. I ask them how much do you have to spend on this job? What is your budget? Some will give the info, some won't.

Also some people are more comfortable with a day rate rather than hourly. And others just want a total cost to work with.

But yeah, it's very different from one freelancer to the next, just like every art job has different specs. I learn as much as I can about the job before writing up a quote, so I can judge what they're willing to buy.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I can generally make better rates outside of game art. Everyone and their brother wants to make game art, so it's crowded with low-cost freelancers.

Serious games, architecture, construction, biotech, legal, military... CG for these fields is less saturated with young kids bidding low, and the budgets are generally higher, so the companies are more willing to pay decent rates.

There's also an opportunity to impress some people who have worked with the low-cost foreign providers, but been burned for one reason or another. Lack of experience, constant changes needed, difficulty communicating, poor quality of the initial work, or inconsistent quality... all these things have happened to some of my clients, and they were fed up when I caught up with them, so they were then very willing to pay my rate for a solid experience.

YMMV of course, there are some good foreign art firms out there.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10

Serious games, architecture, construction, biotech, legal, military... CG for these fields is less saturated with young kids bidding low, and the budgets are generally higher, so the companies are more willing to pay decent rates.

it's also sounds much more boring but it has always been like that in my experience at least - the most boring and unispiring job pays the best. and it's true not for art only but for most other fields.

But I have to say that if you are doing arch-viz, product visualization, ads, CG for movies you'll have the same situation with rates - young freelancers are charging low rates because how can you expect to gain experience and pay bills at the same time when you have almost nothing to show? Of course it's better to start when you're in high school but not everyone did this.

Nobody has it easy.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    If they are asking your rate and agree to it you're probably not overcharging. People generally have an idea in their head of what they want to pay.

It's when they ask your rate, you respond, and never get back to you that went over their budget.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it sounds like, most cases out of none, that one learns to adjust the rate downwards incrementally based on the silence?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You can let them pick TWO of the following THREE: Fast, Cheap, Quality.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    honestly just say "$X is my typical rate, but i am flexible and willing to negotiate" and they will typically fire back a number they're looking for and you can haggle from there. the important part i think is that you don't undervalue yourself just to get work, too many people do that and it pushes the pay for everyone down.

character art typically bills higher than enviro/prop/hard surface, anyway.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I think if you are asking the question then you probably aren't over charging. A lot of freelancers who aren't sure of what to charge end up severely under charging their clients. $/hour should be higher than an in house employee. Clients don't have to pay benefits or taxes on your behalf and you are part of a scalable work force so they aren't paying you a salary between projects.

Edit:
    I do what racer does in that I say "X is my day rate" but I don't lead off with anything about being flexible or open to negotiation.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i never approached a single client
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    yeah i've only ever approached a couple indie devs whose projects are cool to me personally. for most clients it's almost entirely friend connections.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    blazed - nothing wrong with approaching clients. why would you need to be a big cheese to do that?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of my jobs I've gotten by people contacting me. Often it's after I've attended some industry event, or else I've responded on some forum thread or email group.

To find new clients I stick myself out there, making myself visible at industry events, talking to people.

For example, I went to a neat local VR developer event a couple weeks ago, through Meetup.com. I made the effort to introduce myself and chat with various people. I do a quick informal elevator pitch (explain what I do in 15 seconds), and let them know I am interested in applying my skills to VR (or whatever the event is about, the week before I went to a medical tech Meetup). I ask what they do, and listen attentively, asking a few questions about their work. People love sharing what they do, especially if you seem genuinely interested in learning about it.

Sometimes there's a match, most times there isn't. I did get one new potential client out of the VR meetup, and it could be really lucrative if it pans out. The medical one, not so much, though that could pan out in time.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Yeah, I haven't ever approached a client either.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys have reached out though, by being active in the community. Writing articles, tutorials, tools. Exposure is a lead generator, as the salesmen say.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah but there is a difference to going out mailing random possible clients or shaking random peoples hands on some convention, i think i had a lot of luck, but clients always came to me since i went freelance.
    I never been on any expo to ask for jobs, have a super outdated portfolio, no businesscards, not even a studio website. I hope we have time to change that, just for having some sort of a central hub but really I never put any energy into that.
    At least not directly to get jobs, but i get to know people and some spread the word, one thing leads to another and from there further, artists leaving one client going to another, they want to outsource and we have a foot in the door before we even know it.
    I don't know i am a shitty marketing person, i am also pretty honest on what i feel like being good at and what i am not, still, somehow, it always worked out.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think eric has it spot on, i have always been active in art communities, years ago much more so than now, especially in german ones. when I lost my job I was known by the local artists, I publically said i will be out of a job soon and will be going freelance. But I didn't go freelance 100% straight away. My former bosses ran a new company, renting some spaces from another company, which happened to pay me slightly more for part time than any local company would for full time.
    So after 5 years of working on the same game I had the decision to either pick another slightly better paid fulltime job on Spec Ops the Line, which would last long (this was 2007)but would probably be pretty stressfull.
    Or working part time freelance but secure for that company, on glorious titles such as "my boyfriend 2" or "my beautyhotel for pets".

I picked the money and the less stress, and the not so good games. On the side I was freelancing then, the message was out, german studios or rather their artists knew me, so I was booked for settlers 5 to do some work i barely did before, handpainted assets. I was by no means as good as some of the guys doing it for years for them inhouse. But it was a start and I think overall i did a decent job, which was partly because the first stuff was basically upressing existing assets, from very lowpoly characters with 256 or 512 texturey to a higher res animatable portrait with a 1024 texture just for the portrait region of the body.
    From there really one thing let to another, I showed my work I did on that project publically and got in contact again with some guys who happened to work for one company when I was still in my first job, they got fired as well and formed their own studio by now looking for support on that disney game, Hell yeah, Balu the bear, king louie, mulan, lionking, lilo and stitch, what an opportunity.
    Turned out to be the disney channel edition of dance dance revolution. So instead of my beloved toon characters, i did hannah montana, highschool musical cast and other real life disney channel crap, tho i worked on Lilo and Stitch and Kim Possible. I got my next job and then the next, now we are 10 people inhouse, 10-20 more over the internet, juggling about 13 games productions a year and not all of them as small as those i mentioned.

I think you should stick to what you do best, keep learning and keep showing, once you do quality, people will notice. For a start maybe, know your locals but don't run after everyone, a shitty but better paid job will give you more time to work on personal stuff, show it, be public.

Oh and I had my times when I panicked, will I ever get a job again?! I need to stop freelancing asap, this will never work, fuck it i have this offer lets do the arttest and FAILED not on the artside but onsite in the interview, partly for underselling me and being too honest, stating what I like to do and stating what I should not be doing. But i failed on selling them, that I would certainly work on cars or weapons, but there are people more skilled than me in those areas so i still think it would be better to get those guys for those tasks.
    Now, years later, this company is my client and I work on assets I said i will not do, or rather should not do, but i failed at bringing this over back then.
    And I love it, but thanks to our studio I can get help by better artists than me in that field, and we make it work.
  • lanzegames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lanzegames null
    I used to get paid 500~600 Dollar for 1 full illustration + some variations.
    Actually, if you are good enough and the client feels he can't do without you, he will pay over the standards.

This was one such illustration.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Great input Neox!
    From my experience, the best thing to do when freelancing, is to start saving up.
    When you land on a good project, start living smart and stack up some dosh.
    Then, the stress levels drop immenesly, and you can just relax and focus on the work.
    Always keep that in mind when calculating your fees, and run some Xnormal padding on your estimated cost of living, so you'll have savings keeping you calm and sharp.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I'm very much in the same camp as Eric in his first post, but i will add the following:

Are people willing to pay for your services/products?
    If yes: then you're not charging too much, raise your prices incrementally after this job.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    MeshPotato wrote: »
    Great input Neox!
    From my experience, the best thing to do when freelancing, is to start saving up.
    Then, the stress levels drop immenesly, and you can just relax and focus on the work.
    Always keep that in mind when calculating your fees, and run some Xnormal padding on your estimated cost of living, so you'll have savings keeping you calm and sharp.

... That's deep.
  • michalczyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michalczyk polycounter lvl 17
    MeshPotato wrote: »
    Great input Neox!

Having a small part-time job is even better IMO. That way when there is no freelance work you can focus on personal projects with no stress at all. I once worked 15 hours a week at a supermarket and that covered my rent and food.