NwxNyEv.jpg
xChn5M2.jpg
hS2wOap.jpg
XLSLJpe.jpg
9pkQs0H.jpg
EM7h6rl.jpg
n2cY40w.jpg

ORIGINAL POST

Hey everyone, here's a new project of mine. My first true delve into UE4, and I decided to recreate an area from my all time favourite game, Banjo Kazooie :D I'm hoping to achieve a blend of cartoony and realism (Similar to Nut's & Bolts) and I've seen someone else on Polycount (Who's name escapes me) who did the same scene in UDK, so that's a huge spot inspiration to me right now! :D

To start off here's my blockout so far:

xl1UkDM.jpg
QM1ZcRs.jpg

And here's ref taken directly from the game:

EldvOfG.jpg
YLOeifR.jpg
A7Gl85p.jpg
dnXOIYS.jpg
TI6LmVX.jpg

My intention is to add a lot more detail and little secret items and mementos from the various games in the serious to bring the space alive and really make it feel lived in, let me know what you think and any ideas you have!

Replies

• Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Nice! I would go ahead and add a bit more geometry to the rug and other objects in order to get rid of those ugly faceted edges.

This looks like a solid start though! Keep it up!
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Oh my god you just brought up my childhood.

Keep it going I'll be following this!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    @Tobbo - That's the plan, all placeholders for now! :D

@Deathstick - I've had the soundtracks on repeat all weekend, getting me fired up to work on it! :P
  • AneeshaRode
    One of my favourite games, can't wait to see the next updates!
  • felipealves
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    So cool man!!! Looking forward to see this scene. :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a bit more blocking out, added extra geometry here and there as Tobbo suggested :D I'd have done more but works been pretty busy and I've had no energy when I get home recently, so I'm planning on doing huge push toward moving past the blockout stage this weekend! :)

9bz8dzA.jpg
    zsEqck2.jpg
    1EfXvwE.jpg

Let me know your ideas and suggestions!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, just quick update today. I did a lot of work in ZB on Saturday only to lose it after my PC had a fit, so today I textured an asset to get myself past the blockout staging. This was my first bash at PBR and I think I did alright, but I'm sure I could use a lot pointers:

UBrUpxn.png

And in engine:
    ugdAoqq.jpg

Not sure why it's so purple though?

Here's the maps:

9M9VqNt.jpg
    mvMBRYO.jpg
    q9uQDak.png
    RLTjk5S.jpg

As usual, any ideas are awesome!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Post how the material is hooked up in the material editor.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
  • Teessider
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    hey neil cool project man!

Make sure your textures are setup correctly (make sure they are either sRGB or linear there is a tickbox/dropdown menu in the texture settings I think).

I think your albedo map (Base Color in UE4) is too bright for the object your doing, I would think it would be nearer black (but not completely)?

Not sure if that will help but keep going with it :)

on a side note check this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fb9_KgCo0noxROKN4iT8ntTbx913e-t4Wc2nMRWPzNk/edit
    (the physically based rendering encyclopedia compiled right here on polycount!)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Make you you are only plugging one channel into options that use one channel, like AO, roughness, and metalness. I'm not sure if that's causing the issue, but you are putting 3 channels into a input that uses 1 channel.

If you want to optimize textures for something more practical for a game, put those 3 textures into one image with each one on their own channel, like R= Metal G= Roughness B = AO.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider wrote: »
    hey neil cool project man!

Make sure your textures are setup correctly (make sure they are either sRGB or linear there is a tickbox/dropdown menu in the texture settings I think).

I think your albedo map (Base Color in UE4) is too bright for the object your doing, I would think it would be nearer black (but not completely)?

Not sure if that will help but keep going with it :)

on a side note check this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fb9_KgCo0noxROKN4iT8ntTbx913e-t4Wc2nMRWPzNk/edit
    (the physically based rendering encyclopedia compiled right here on polycount!)

Yo Andy, cheers! It's too bright? Really? I'm sure most of the stuff I've read said your Albedo had to bright, without any lighting information...hmm... I'll definitely have a look through the encyclopaedia though and I'll check my import settings when I get home this evening, thanks for the link! Any suggestions as to where I should start with it, it's a bit like diving head first into a lake of information! :P
    ZacD wrote: »
    Make you you are only plugging one channel into options that use one channel, like AO, roughness, and metalness. I'm not sure if that's causing the issue, but you are putting 3 channels into a input that uses 1 channel.

If you want to optimize textures for something more practical for a game, put those 3 textures into one image with each one on their own channel, like R= Metal G= Roughness B = AO.

Okay, cool, I assumed plugging in the main channel would work like it did in UDK, I've always been told the white channel (which I'd associate with an AO or Roughness) was an Alpha channel. Is this different in UE4? Thanks for the help though!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The white is the alpha chanel, but in a black and white texture like those, the R, G, and B channels are exactly the same, so you can plug any of those channels into their respective material inputs. I'm not sure if plugging the main output is causing the issues, it might, but just was pointing out it's incorrect to plug up the material like that.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh interesting. I'll definitely give that a try when I get home then, thanks! When you say it's incorrect, I guess you're only referring to the AO, Metalness and Roughness maps?

(And looking at my maps, I might go ahead and make them look a bit neater. By the time I started texturing last night, it was already late at night and I'd been doing High Polying, Sculpting and Baking all day, so I guess laziness got to me a bit :P )
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yup, just the AO, roughness, and metalness. Is everything white on the metalness? You could just plug a constant white into that slot as well.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, cheers for the advice Zac :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, long time no post, work has been busy and I've had little motivation to work on personal stuff, but I took some time off this week to do my own thing. I'm having trouble deciding the best course of action for making tiling textures for the scene, so I worked on Banjo's chair. Here's what I have so far, might go in and redo some of the sculpting:

DPd8z7Y.jpg

Any crits are welcome and suggestions for tiling textures are welcome. I can never decide which is more efficient, sculpting in ZB and baking from it there or using photo reference and just doing it in photoshop. I've seen both methods give awesome results and i'm not confident in either yet.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Not super happy with the texture. Quixel is very powerful and I think i'll definitely need to experiment with it more, but it's a lot easier to use than it used to be.

nYK1hix.png

Here it is in the Environment (I'm not sure what to do with lighting since in game it's all very simple given the nature of the N64)

tFeYbDK.jpg
    Az7F5yg.jpg

And in Marmo:

3sS290Q.jpg

I don't know why my lightmaps always come out so weird. As far as I can tell I'm doing what I'm supposed to do, but I still get these weird super dark areas and stuff and it doesn't seem right. Res is at 512 so I dunno'.

Any feedback is awesome!
  • Youngy798
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    In my opinion the chair looks to shiny, I would assume its mean't to be fabric? If so, I think it should be more matte.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's my inexperience with dDo, will redo it! :D
  • Youngy798
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    Its look great so far :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Hallo, I'm not dead and I've started working on this again. I'm all finished up at Creative Assembly now and in the time I have now and in finding a new job I'm planning on finishing this and doing some more arts to fill the old portfolio:

z3URZGA.jpg
    bjJa2tA.jpg
    VhGaSq5.jpg

Plan from here is to finish up all key assets found in the original game, then once they're done and I'm happy with how they look I'll just fill it to the brim with miscellaneous junk. I think it'd be cool to squeeze as many Rareware mementos as possible, especially from all the Banjo games.

C&C is welcomed!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! New update, just chipping away at those key assets but getting closer to the really fun task of cluttering! :D Have some screenshots:

WJh8i3s.jpg
    mxU8woG.jpg
    FF4t5kV.jpg
    SwuCOK0.jpg
    Wtx8pEG.jpg
    jSZNaLN.jpg
    9ensSaD.jpg
    ZNRXDQV.jpg
    js3wxul.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll do the hearth for the fireplace and get some of those smaller assets done. I might re bake the kitchen cabinets too, I'm not sure what's going on there but something in the normal maps doesn't look right in UE4.

As usual, C&C is awesome!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone? I've had feedback that the light coming in the window is too bright given the direction the directional light is pointing but I haven't explored UE4 deeply enough to figure out why it's that bright or how to change it.

I'd really love some C&C on this, I feel it going really well but Crits are vital to my improving!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, quick update. I've been slacking a wee tiny bit because of Christmas but I'm slowly gaining momentum on this again. I'm looking to try and finish it up in the next few weeks actually, very pleased with how it's going so far :D

DLLHojJ.jpg
    2p4uOuk.jpg
    KPgwcZX.jpg
  • PrimePriest
    Offline / Send Message
    PrimePriest polycounter lvl 3
    Anyone? I've had feedback that the light coming in the window is too bright given the direction the directional light is pointing but I haven't explored UE4 deeply enough to figure out why it's that bright or how to change it.
    !

Try disabling auto-exposure in UE4. Then you'll see how bright actually the light is. I find that feature often does more harm than good.

Here's how I do it.
    1) Create PostProcessVolume in the scene.
    2) In Auto Exposure tab, set both Min and Max Brightness to 1.0
    3) In Post Process Volume tab, make it Unbound.

This is quite cumbersome, but I don't know of any simpler way to turn this off.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Try disabling auto-exposure in UE4. Then you'll see how bright actually the light is. I find that feature often does more harm than good.

Here's how I do it.
    1) Create PostProcessVolume in the scene.
    2) In Auto Exposure tab, set both Min and Max Brightness to 1.0
    3) In Post Process Volume tab, make it Unbound.

This is quite cumbersome, but I don't know of any simpler way to turn this off.

I actually discovered that it was one of the fog volumes causing the massive amounts of glare and played with that until it was at a level I was happy with, thanks for the info though, I'll keep that saved for my next project!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I was going to get those last little pieces done before posting but I've been at it all day and an I'm knackered so I'll do them tomorrow. But basically, key assets are pretty much finished! Now onto the clutter! After that, lighting and PP! Critic as always is welcomed!

sKZM48e.jpg
    20eXFd0.jpg
    JQ16SoL.jpg
    D45xZvR.jpg
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    And I'm there! (Kind of :P) I'm at least comfortable about having this on my portfolio now, but I'll be adding more clutter as I go along. I really just needed to have something current on the portfolio while I hunt for jobs, but none the less I will still adding to it! Let me know what you think!

cMyTDdj.jpg
    rRAEe1N.jpg
    IRMnhiv.jpg
    3BfgdTx.jpg
    MesWopm.jpg
    LsWDcHe.jpg
    czMfUZm.jpg

Like I said, I'm yet to feel truly finished with this but I'm very pleased with this milestone! :D
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    Pure beauty, didn't feel like it at first glance but this looks marvelous. 5* for shaders.
  • Chantel-sky
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    Oh man, This brings back some good childhood memories!
    Good job!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I've loved making this and @peanut, material definition was something I really focused on this time so it's great to know I'm on the right track :D
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    You're doing great with this!

I'm not quite 100% sold on the lighting yet though. While I appreciate the homeliness of the warm orange color of the light source, maybe you can tone it down or blend in some more natural or cool colored lights to either complement or contrast with it? It might be great if there was a spot or two where the colors of the models' texture maps were able to breathe through a bit more.

Maybe a couple more light sources to give off some subtle soft shadows to help ground everything a bit more could help too, or even go all out-this-is-a-homely fireplace with the ole' dust particle/god ray peeping out from the window blinds treatment. It's just a bit too uniform/unlit looking in its current stage.

That's my 2 cents anyhow. I'm really diggin' the character of the scene and how you're placing the clutter. Keep it up :D
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit Deathstick, I've had a few people mention it looking a bit uniform! I think I'll maybe stick a lamp or overhead bulb or something in, the give another source of light besides the fireplace and sunlight. :D
  • DGB
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    The feels, oh, the nostalgic feels!

The only thing that's bothering me is the weird bend in the ceiling boards at the far end of the room. A cheap solution would be to just stick a timber or two up there to make it look like two discrete sections, unless you already have something else planned for the ceiling.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Been fixed already! :P I'd like to shove some cobwebs and stuff up there too. Plus, I have better screenshots to upload now, I've added more clutter!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, sorry spam but NOW I feel it's finished (Or at least, portfolio worthy!) Lemme' know what you think! I'll continue adding to this in the future as I've really enjoyed making it but for now, I need a wee break! I've learnt an absolute ton doing it though, UE4 is super versatile.

NwxNyEv.jpg
    xChn5M2.jpg
    hS2wOap.jpg
    XLSLJpe.jpg
    9pkQs0H.jpg
    EM7h6rl.jpg
    n2cY40w.jpg
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, was hoping nobody would notice :P I'll try a fix it soon :)
  • Shurkuris
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    C&C...

(1) I would either make some extra bricks that match the brick patterns on the Fireplace/Kitchen to help them pop out, or just rebuild the models themselves with raised surfaces, they are way to flat.

(2) The ceiling's wood texture is bending to much along it's corners and their is some bad seams on it's 4 corners to.

(3) Personally I would like your fishbowl to use a water material or something to indicate it's not "empty".

Include "Gloop the Fish" as another nod to the original(s)?

(4) Fireplace could use some "Fire" particles and actual fire. The logs are hot, but their isn't any fire.

(5) Your curtains are to uniform and neat looking. Add some creases, very light dirt, darker color, make them thicker, etc...

Also the current Curtain design wouldn't allow it to be closed or opened much more. If you do intend to go with this, I would add some tassels.

Your bed is a bit to neat IMO for a goofy bear and bird.

(6) The lamp's light aiming at the ceiling is way to harsh and distracting.

(7) You forgot Kazooie's bed. The three-pronged bag holder.

(8 ) If your doing just a single still-shot of this for your porfolio. At-least change the position of the clock's pendulum to give the picture some life.

That also includes anything else you can think of for the scene. Give them a still-shot animation.

(9) I don't know how crazy one can get with easter eggs before a picture becomes to "crowded". But I would add the N64 Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie cartridges along with your N64 game console on the shelf. With 2 controllers for each of them.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Good ideas! Thanks for the crit!
  • Dmellott
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    I just saw you got a spotlight on Kotaku man! That is really awesome!! The scene is definitely coming along nicely. Great stuff!
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 7
    congratz on kotaku front page man!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Wanted to drop by and give another congrats on the Kotaku article! :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't expecting that! Thanks guys!
  • TigerGD
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD polycounter lvl 9
    Take a look at this guy's fireplace. He's using tessellation, so it deforms a bit with LOD transitions, but it still looks more organic and believable.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91phIwdE7oI[/ame]
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Auldbenkenobi!

I'm the guy that did the UDK scene that TigerGD linked to above.

I saw this spotlighted on Kotaku and came by to say how nice it looks :)
    I won't offer much in the way of advice, as I have my own vision of the scene and I'd hate to force that upon you!

One thing that I will say generally is that the final shots don't really have a focus for the eye to be drawn towards.
    The lamp in particular is catching my attention most, purely because it is the brightest thing in the scene.

Perhaps finding a focal point in the fireplace or the stove would help draw the eye to a more central part of the images.

Keep up the awesome work dude!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!

Yeah, your scene was a huge inspiration to mine and I borrowed a lot of ideas from yours while making it.

Thanks! Yeah that's good feedback, the reason I was finishing it up was because of a job application I wanted to apply to before it was taken down (Which I have now applied for) so I fully intend to go back this and rework things, add stuff fix part etc. so any and all criticism is really valuable right now and is not going to waste, by any means!

I'm actually noting a lot of it down for future reference so thanks again!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Couple of things i instantly noticed:

seams on the fire place. The bricks in general looks very flat. I would do it in zbrush and retopo it. Same with the bricks behind the cooker.

The wood on the ceiling looks odd where it bends. You won't find any planks of wood that can bend like that! Also seams where it meets the bend either side.

The drawers are cloned, It's more obvious because the drawers on both are opened the same amount.

The lamp light looks odd. Its like there is a spot light pointed directly up. Also looks like the lamp is slightly hovering?

I would fix those things up :)
  • Zombard
    Offline / Send Message
    Zombard polycounter lvl 6
    Love it ! Beautiful.
    Maybe the roof could be different from the ground, maybe good old wooden beams ?

Keep up !
  • jjdilaa
    Offline / Send Message
    jjdilaa polycounter lvl 8
    Just wanted to say this is looking awesome, cam't wait to see it finished, looks like you are nearly there. :)