Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Needing Crits on Asteroid

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jack M. interpolator
Hey everybody,

I'm starting to make an asteroid in zbrush, and wanted to get some feedback from all of you to see how I can make it look as close to reference as possible.

Main Reference: uLtX6rP.jpg

Sculpt: hI5rpP2.png

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Run a really rough noise pass on it through Surface Noise. There's still some too shiny bits.

Also might want to use a slightly less specular mat cap.

Basic shapes are definitely there. Seem like it'll mostly be micro detail work.
  • GrungyStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Pretty cool, looks like my face as a teenager
  • Giacomo X
    Offline / Send Message
    Giacomo X polycounter lvl 6
    Not bad, but the form still feels a bit too smooth and regular for my liking..also, impact craters generally have a "lip" around the edge...the edges of your craters blend smoothly into the surface which just looks odd in my opinion.

The main problem is that the reference photo you're using doesn't really look like a real asteroid. You might want to make the effort to look at some photos of *real* asteroids instead of using a render of someone else's model.

Just my two cents.
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    JadeEyePanda - Thanks for the crits, and I'll be sure to make things pretty rough. The matcap is definitely too shiny. I'll be sure to use a different one for the next render.

GrungyStudios - Haha. I don't even know what to say man.

Giacomo X - Thanks for the crits. I was thinking the same thing with the craters edge. It's just way too blobby.

In regards to your second crit, your right it really doesn't look like a real asteroid. That's just what my client wants me to work off of, so I'm happy to oblige.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to post some crits. It's really helpful to get some other eyes on the stuff I'm working on.

With that said I'll be posting another update later tonight.
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Alright, update. I sharpened up the edges and I think it's already looking a lot better. I need to do the noise pass now. Any additional crits are always welcome.

High spec render: dumCWEA.png

Low Spec Render: 9yFbZTN.png
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    it's missing that circular crater type roughness. The mask or alpha you used to give it roughness wasn't the right shapes. needs to be circular. like so.

this has elements of what I'm talking about.

moon_lro_bumpmap_8192x4096.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Pixelpatron - I see what you're saying. Thanks for that alpha. I'll be sure to post another update with correct roughness tonight.
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Got another update for you guys. I've added some more of a crater type noise/roughness to the surface of the asteroid. I think it's really starting to come together.

Thanks again PixelPatron! The tip and alpha helped tremendously.

Any additional crits are welcome. Keep them coming. I want this to be the best it can be!

High Spec:
    9iHMrFZ.png

Low Spec:
    zAh9mtN.png
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Better but still too smooth, the new alpha helped, but it doesn't have that roughness of your source/reference.

Make something like so.

tutorial-zbrush-sculptris.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1288962438793

Then go around the model with your new brush, varying sizes/ depth. Uniformity is not your friend.

or you can dnload this, the second brush might give ya some good results.
    LES_Brush_01.jpg
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I think the ridges of your craters need to have more of a lip, and the craters themselves need to be flatter and less deep. Even stylistically this would look more like a crater impact than just a hole.
    scr00000.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    So I've had to make somewhat of a u-turn here guys. The size of the asteroid in question is around 10 meters, and thus I don't think it really makes sense to have impact areas like I was originally going for.

So after this I've done a pretty big redesign of the asteroid and there's quite a few problems I have with it already. I'm going for a more porous design much like the image posted below, and I'm having some pretty big issues in getting the thing to look really porous. Right now it's just pretty noisy and rough.

Any help on this would be awesome. Thanks again for all of the help so far guys!

New Reference:
    f5DB7rs.jpg

New Sculpt:
    V5HdrsM.png