Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Environment] Frostbitten - WIP

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
Hey Polycount, I've been sitting on my thumps for a bit too long and decided that I want to make cool stuff again. I've had this scene in mind for awhile but only recently started putting the pieces of it together and really flushing out how I might do it.

Much of my inspiration will come from Halo's Forerunner's architecture in a frozen environment. I want to use this to get a better understanding of Substance Designer, Zbrush and ultimately Unreal 4's material editor.

Two of the materials in particular I am hoping to create is a realistic ice material and a tessellated dynamic snow material which will allow me to input parameter maps and control the amount of snow/ice build up on a per object basis.

Since I'm still so early in the development of the scene I'm craving some good old fashion critiques to the face, especially for composition and lighting since I know these are two fields that I need work in.

My concept blockout
Dom1v2u.jpg

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like a cool layout.

I'm assuming this is not yet in-engine...doesn't look like it.

Hard to critique lighting and composition right now, doesn't feel like you have actually really set either of those up...but the blockout looks promising so far.
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Could be interesting :) Watch out to not make the composition too symmetrical (cut in half by the tower)
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Update time. I actually don't have any really good excuses for taking so long on my update. Took sometime and decided to re-evaluate the purpose of this piece and my approach so I could take baby steps back up to full operating power levels. I'm super excited to be back at it though, ready to kick some ass!

I would like to spend a bit more time on block out composition, which is entirely fine since I'm not completely attached to this bridge model, especially with how modular pieced together I made it. It could definitely use a detail greeble pass, but that can happen very quickly with a few hours and some floaters.

This is only high res model currently.

mdQqcSn.png

C6bDit7.png