Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spaceship Crits Needed

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jack M. interpolator
Hey everybody, I'm looking for some crits on this spaceship I'm making. Any crits are welcome. The crits I'm really looking for though are primarily about forms.

Reference:
EqjKrLU.jpg

Perspective:
y5z7093.jpg

Front:
KgpvdGY.jpg

Side:
gLlreJb.jpg

Rear:
jaswG4T.jpg

Top:
tnpKjzq.jpg

Replies

• Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I'd say the design isn't bad, it has a sort of rugged boxy look to it. Sort of like grandpa's old rusty fighter from the last great war is the feeling I'm currently getting from it, and maybe you can push that when it comes time for texturing. (Think the old viper fighters from battlestar galactica compared to the new ones.)

There are however a few parts in the design that I think could use a little reworking/rethinking. As of right now, it looks like your space ship has alot of airducts/some sort of ventalation coming out of the front which I don't necessarily dislike, the back could use some more attention however.

IE, the side objects look like they are some sort of mounted engines or thrusters, and yet there really isn't a clear area where the thrust would shoot out of, unless you count the tiny little vent in the back which sort of contradicts the whole size of the engine. +glowing ends and particle trails always look nice and helps the player spot tiny fighters in 360 degrees of space :)

I'm also going to guess this is some sort of a one-person fighter. If so, maybe you can make the actual entrypoint of where the pilot would get in and out of more clear. As of now, the glass looks a bit static/no clear indication of how or where it would slide off, and there doesn't seem to be a space to put a hatch door if the glass were static.

The lasers/guns could use a little bit more of love as well to make sure the viewers understand their function, whether that be more details such as a place where the ammo is loaded if its old-fashioned or some sort of laser-crystal-blahblah-overheat-prevention-system.

Basically, it looks like you have a solid start of the overall shapes and silhouette of the ship. I'd just say to start thinking more about how you can make each part look a little bit more functional in it's design even if it's made up stuff, but based on reality if that makes sense to you. Hope this helps somewhat.

Keep it up!
  • JasonHeckmen
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonHeckmen polycounter lvl 8
    Here are the big problems I see in the front perspective in comparing your model versus the concept. Side by side they clearly look like different ship models. Maybe made by the same company by definitely not the same models. The easiest way for your eye to track how on point you are is to do a quick survey of the outline of the model in comparison to the concept. Are the outlines matching up to your eye? If they are then that's good. But in this case they don't.

jaAh0sg.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I thank you both for taking the time to give me some excellent crits. You both are spot on, and I'll have an update again soon for some more needed crits after I fix everything you guys mentioned.
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I made a bunch of changes today. I still need to make a few more changes. There was a few problems with the concepts in that they don't really match up. So with the engines on top that connect down the the lights I decided to go with cylinders instead of the soft rectangles I originally had. It breaks the silhouette of the front reference image though. I would like feedback on this decision.

Any other crits are of course welcome as well.

Perspective:
    CQdyBTe.jpg

Front:
    TLGaBir.jpg

Side:
    dZE6rbT.jpg

Rear:
    KWufYc5.jpg

Top:
    918nOzI.jpg
  • ZenDavis
    Offline / Send Message
    ZenDavis polycounter lvl 6
    Color coded feedback.

EElovB7.png
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Here's another update.

Front:
    dAS2NaK.jpg

Side:
    fF0voWP.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I made some major changes to the ship. I think I'm almost ready to start sculpting. I need to fix some topology beforehand, but while I was doing that I wanted to get some crits from you guys.

Front:
    5kjVdjO.jpg

Side:
    u0159Ix.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I'm now going to move on to sculpting. What I'm going to try and attain is an almost stone sculpture like feel to the spaceships metal. I am posting a couple of my own references that I'll be going off of during this process.

I'll be posting another update by the end of the day as well to show some progress.

References:
    Tjtz7gI.jpg
    CFgF4CP.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Alright, so here's my first pass. I need to mask off areas, do some cleanup, and add something to the top of the front engines. I'm pretty happy with how it's coming out so far though. Any crits are welcome, and tips are appreciated.

Zbrush Render:

IpGQC4A.jpg
  • tahakitan
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    it needs to look more panelly or else it will look like a toy. here is an example.

http://images.says.com/uploads/story_source/source_image/158032/fab2.jpeg

if you look at it. you can see each panel on it and how it was built. not doing that usually makes it look fake and like a toy or stylized. Other than that, i like the concept and where your headed. keep it up.
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Thanks tahakitan. I'll be sure to get some panels going on it to keep it a little more realistic.
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Here's another update. Any crits welcome as usual. I'll be posting more regularly as I texture.

High Poly:
    AZlVTQc.jpg

Normal Bake:
    ImMg9ki.jpg

Low Poly:
    VDDvQ6o.png
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I made some changes, and decided to split the ship into two different bakes to get some better resolution.

Low poly:
    Sg8yyeX.png

Normal bakes:
    2CeJ207.jpg
    O4x22n8.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Hey everybody, I'm getting a super clean bake but as to get more uv space I'm breaking the ship into 4 parts to get some super high res texturing out of it. Here are the uv's for the first two parts.

UA5QPpG.jpg
    FM3hv7t.jpg
  • Odeca
    Offline / Send Message
    Odeca polycounter lvl 3
    Nice High poly!

But there's something wrong with the bake, probably flipped channels on the normal map, or maybe smoothing issues. Double check the edges mate!

Are you using a cage?

Don't forget to bake AO/Cavity to have a more depth on the texture.
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Hey everybody, here's the final textured version of the spaceship. There are some things we would have liked to have done differently with the colors, but that's what the client wanted.

Also I can in no way take credit for the texturing. The texturing was done by a coworker of mine Ali: http://www.artbyalireza.portfoliobox.me/

Final:
    http://i.imgur.com/j4aFTi8.jpg