Home Technical Talk

Looking for critique/assistance on normal maps

solidshark91493
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
solidshark91493 polycounter lvl 6
I went on a bit of a hiatus, But I came back to the tommy gun model I was working on, and completely re-did the uv's, did a test bake of my normal map and light map. This time I also added a edit poly modifier and exploded both of my meshes to explode bake it. Worked a LOT better this time. Only thing now I was wondering if some people could give me any advice to improve my maps and or my uv's or anything else. :D

Normal map:
Normalmap.png

Lightmap:
Lmap.png

Replies

• AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Definitely would need to see it applied to the model to be able to crit it. If possible show it off in something other than the Max viewport

There are a few spots of some pretty nasty distortion, also it looks like you have a lot of separate smoothing groups on your inner UV faces which is causing those seam artifacts in the normal map.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely would need to see it applied to the model to be able to crit it. If possible show it off in something other than the Max viewport

There are a few spots of some pretty nasty distortion, also it looks like you have a lot of separate smoothing groups on your inner UV faces which is causing those seam artifacts in the normal map.

Not the max viewport? like a render? I can do that. Do you want to see both applied? or just the normal?
    If there are any other settings I should be weary of to make this easier material wise let me know as Im still trying to learn.

Smoothing groups still confuse me. Thats probly a lot of my problem as well.

*edit*
    Heres a render with both applied. Just a skylight in the scene. Its not perfect by any means but for my first full model attempt Id say its not horrible.. :|
    Tommygun37.png
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) A lightmap is going to be garbage because it will capture the viewport lighting, which is basically a omni light behind the viewport camera. If you move the camera it changes the light map. What you probably want is a Ambient Occlusion map? Which doesn't include lighting info at all, its based on the angles of the geometry.

2) If you have straight lines, those shells probably shouldn't be rotated, they should be straight. It take more pixels to make jagged diagonal line than it does to make a horiz/vert line.

3) You have a lot of little pieces that are packed into the left side, they are barely grabbing a few pixels as it is, if you mip-map it down a level its going to fall apart even worse. But there is a lot of space all over the map that those pieces could fit into and they could grab a few more pixels. Of course it all depends on how important they are and how important texel density is to the piece. I have no idea about those things just looking at the maps, but in general you should set up your unwraps so they can down down a texture size and still hold up. It's not uncommon in game development to start a project and halfway through or at the end have all of the textures down-resed. Working in a way that keeps you from having to redo a bunch of rework is critical to maintaining a job ;)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like your smoothing groups are not set up correctly. For ever hard edge/smoothing group split, you need a uv split, so you should use way less smoothing groups.

+1 to everything Mark said
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few things you can checkout for a good explanation of what's what with baking.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGszEIT4Kww"]This[/ame] video goes over a basic workflow for baking with xNormal.

This [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OONQzKcWeMY"]video[/ame] does into the technical parts of baking.

This thread is a wealth of knowledge on hard edges/smoothing groups and how they relate to baking normal maps.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    A few things you can checkout for a good explanation of what's what with baking.

This video goes over a basic workflow for baking with xNormal.

This video does into the technical parts of baking.

This thread is a wealth of knowledge on hard edges/smoothing groups and how they relate to baking normal maps.

Good videos, thanks.
    Regarding the prep of meshes for baking in Xnormal, I've read here that you should triangulate your high and low poly meshes before exporting them, is that correct? I'm asking because in the first video you've linked this step is skipped, this is a bit confusing.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help so far guys :D
    Ok so:
    1. Im following a tutorial from digital tutors, thats why I did the light map, Ill scrap that.
    2. Do I have to bake the ambient occlusion?
    3. What maps do I need? this isnt for a game as far as I know Im just trying to learn.
    4. I have no idea how to do smoothing groups >.>
    5. I need to figure out how to pack my uv's better, is there like a go to guide on that process?. I was also wondering how and if similar parts can be stacked on one another?
    6. I'll post a wireframe of my low poly. Maybe that could help.
    7. And I know this one is a stretch, but would someone fancy a lookover on my two models?

Gonna look into those threads and info right now as well.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Tzur_H wrote: »
    Good videos, thanks.
    Regarding the prep of meshes for baking in Xnormal, I've read here that you should triangulate your high and low poly meshes before exporting them, is that correct? I'm asking because in the first video you've linked this step is skipped, this is a bit confusing.

You shouldn't triangulate the highpoly, that doesn't change a thing. However triangulating the lowpoly can prevent some shading errors.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol is correct. The reason you triangulate in your modeling package before baking is because different programs will triangulate differently.

1. The engine you would display this in would handle lightmapping assuming this object never moved in the scene
    2. Yes, you can bake ambient occlusion within xNormal.
    3. It depends on the engine you are using. The old method of rendering uses a diffuse, specular, gloss and normal map. There are other optional maps you can use if you need to, like emissive. The new system of rendering is called Physically Based Rendering, there are tons of articles and thread posts explaining a PBR texture workflow.
    4. Read the thread I linked.
    5. Similar parts can be stacked yes, but that means everything will be duplicated which sometimes can look weird if you aren't careful about what you stack.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    The reason you triangulate in your modeling package before baking is because different programs will triangulate differently.

Trying to build myself a solid workflow, but there are couple of things I'm still confused about when it comes to baking.
    I'm a Maya user. When I'm done with the retopo of the low poly mesh, should I duplicate it, triangulate and use the triangulated version as my target bake and as the cage for baking normal, AO etc? I prefer to keep my meshes as quads until the last bit of exporting to the engine. Is it viable to re triangulate the original low poly and use these maps on that newly created triangulated mesh, or Maya would triangulate differently and then these maps are no longer accurate? Does it make such a big different to even bother with? :poly142:
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I normally do is once I'm ready to bake I'll duplicate the quad mesh, triangulate it and then use that triangulated mesh for baking and game asset. If I ever need to change something I can go back to the duplicated mesh and work off that.

Whatever mesh you use for baking should be the same mesh you use for the game mesh. Once the normal map is baked you shouldn't make any changes to the lowpoly, otherwise you need to bake the normal map again.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol is correct. The reason you triangulate in your modeling package before baking is because different programs will triangulate differently.

1. The engine you would display this in would handle lightmapping assuming this object never moved in the scene
    2. Yes, you can bake ambient occlusion within xNormal.
    3. It depends on the engine you are using. The old method of rendering uses a diffuse, specular, gloss and normal map. There are other optional maps you can use if you need to, like emissive. The new system of rendering is called Physically Based Rendering, there are tons of articles and thread posts explaining a PBR texture workflow.
    4. Read the thread I linked.
    5. Similar parts can be stacked yes, but that means everything will be duplicated which sometimes can look weird if you aren't careful about what you stack.

Ok so, I dont have xnormal and Ive only tried it once. Might give it another go.

I just want to make this look nice and make some nice portfolio style renders with it. So As far as maps are concerned I only want to make what I need for that.

I have read that thread like three times even before posting. >.> Smoothing groups are probably not as hard as I feel it is..

As far as stacking goes I have a bunch of domed cylinders that are essentially exactly the same just sized slightly different. They are a huge portion of that gobbled cram on the left side of those maps up there. Im also not quite sure how one goes about stacking them properly. Im fine with re-doing the uv map packing I just havent found a decent way/guide to do it efficiently.

Heres wire's of my high and low poly meshes, I was having issues rendering it so I screen capped it instead.

Untitled-5.png

Untitled1-1.png
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for clarifying AdvisableRobin.

I've watched the presentation video by Andy Davies and he says that it's possible to bake in object space with 1 smoothing group on the low poly, and then convert it to tangent space with Xnormal's converter tool or Handplane.
    If that's the case, why bother trying to bake a clean tangent space? From what I understand object space normal maps are easier to bake (no need to worry about uv splits and smoothing groups) and are accurate by nature.. am I missing something?
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, on Mark Dygert's advice. I decided to manually re pack my uv map. I think this should work even better now. :D
    Untitled-6.png
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New normal map, and ambient occlusion. Not sure why the weird tearing is there or how to fix it..
    Now, only thing Im still not sure of is if the smoothing groups are correct, also the cylinders in the top left corner look awful for some reason.. All the caps came out fine in the center..

Normalmap-2.png

LowpolyAmbientOcclusion_MR_.png

Applied:
    Tommygun38.png

Would anyone be willing to look at my project and see what Im doing wrong here? >.>
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    If you want to achieve clean bakes, use a cage and explode your models so there won't be any intersections.
    This might help you [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgYoXF6QmWw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgYoXF6QmWw[/ame]

Also, read these threads
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H wrote: »
    If you want to achieve clean bakes, use a cage and explode your models so there won't be any intersections.
    This might help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgYoXF6QmWw

Also, read these threads
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

I already have it caged and exploded :)
    I'll check those threads as well