Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need advice on pushing a sculpt further

Hello everyone!

I came this far with the sculpt and i`m stuck. I always get stuck on this phase, next phase would be refining and pushing the sculpt further, making it better. But I dont have the eye for that yet, could anyone advise me on how to push it further now, it would be a great learning experience for me. I went over through ZBrush Central to look for similar models, but the only thing I saw that was more into detailing was skin pores - thats a proof of how bad my eye is for this kind of stuff at the moment.

PS. the hat is just a blockout.

14258a8eef.jpg

Thank you!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    MrCreator:

What do you want to end up with? A nice sculpture? A game character? A 2D image?
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A nice sculpture, I would render it in some clay-like material (so no textures).
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I went over through ZBrush Central to look for similar models, but the only thing I saw that was more into detailing was skin pores
    Ah, but you clearly know there's more, because it's getting to you that this is all you're understanding.

You need to train your eyes. Look at more art that you admire and break it down. Really force yourself to figure out what's different, even if it means comparing a piece of yours directly area by area. Watch videos of artists you like sculpting, and see what their workflow is once they get to the same point as you get lost at.
    I like SupremeFunk and Adam Fishers, but you can easily find a good one that suits your style whatever that may be.

Immediately, I can see that everything looks kinda muddy, like you got just past the block-out stage and then stopped. You need to do deeper, crisper folds and cuts, sharpen edges, add smaller wrinkles. Define facial features (particularly the nose and lips here, they're actually a little off) and get to that pores, moles and asymmetry stage. Give her a bit of character.

I threw this into photoshop and had a bit of a paintover til it got to what I'm seeing in it-- it's probably not what you want to convey, or where you want it to end up. But I did add shadows and highlights where crisper pinches and highlights and creases should probably be, and messed with the facial proportions a tad. Hopefully it gives you an idea of what you can do to keep going.
    I'd suggest working with a grey material, if this isn't just for presentation. I like the two basic grey materials, I tend to only use matcaps for presentation since they're static and often have effects that make it difficult to discern form, but I hear some of them are alright.
    54819906b486f.png

For the clothes, this might help at least... n easy workflow to follow and it's always gotten me good results with a little practice and reference. But really, for the main folds it's just a matter of taking Hpolish/the pinch tool/standard brush set to subtract and really deepening, sharpening and defining those folding areas. You seem like you're being a bit timid with it-- don't be. dig right in and define that stuff!
    http://artforgames.com/infotuts/memory-folds/

Good luck, I'd like to see updates.
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BagelHero Thank you a lot for the feedback, cant express how much I appreciate it!

I did some refinement, mostly based on what you drew for me! This is where it is now:

4184dab5dd.jpg

What is the next step? I ask for your patience, but this is a big learning experience for me and next project wont require so much eye opening I hope! :)
  • willlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willlord polycounter lvl 11
    I would suggest getting some good reference of the female face as well as clothing of a similar fashion. Reference is key when you are starting out.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Big improvement! However parts are still looking lumpy and undefined. The ridge of the blouse/jacket lacks definition. There needs to be a clear separation of different fabrics. Right now they just sort of blend into one another. the DamStandard brush would work great for this, but don't overuse it. The damstandard also has a great alt+ function that makes for some great edging (use it on a low intesnsity). HPolish and Trim Dynamic are also some good brushes that help build definition for places that need flatter edges. Your hat looks too thick and floppy (like its made of play-doh). Use some of these brushes/watch tutorials and you'll see an even better result next time. One more thing: I think the lower eyelids need to wrap around the bottom of the eye a little more and be a little more fleshy. Overall, this project has potential, keep going!
  • carlobarley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    i think you have a pretty good blockout, however the forms are quite lumpy but do not worry it's very common for starting zbrush users! what i would suggest for the face is to start geometric and planar then smooth out the hard edges after. the same would apply to the clothing as well, balance the hard edges vs soft edges. right now everything is soft which is giving the "lumpy" look

creating a moodboard of your reference for face and clothing is a must as well, at least three front view, side view and 3/4.

some helpful links.

femaleplanes1_2.jpg

femaleplanes2_1.jpg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pirv3EzznR8"]How to Sculpt a Female Portrait in Water-based Clay | Free Tutorial Demonstration (HD 1080p) - YouTube[/ame]

good luck and keep it up!
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jhoythottle Thanks for advices! I did some sharpening on wrinkles and I defined the ridge a bit and made it clearer that its a different kind of cloth. I fixed the eyes a bit and I did some work on the hat, I will add a big flower on her hat (where the feathers start).

aed6daf86e.jpg
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @carlobarley Oh, I didnt see that reply because I didnt reload the page for some time... I will work on that now!
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for this reply spree, but quick little face update

b6c4ae371d.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Wrinkles you have seem a bit random. I do have same problem with mine too when I'm not careful. Put in how fabric pulls and stretches and compresses.
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PryZern True, they were random, really random. I gave it some tought and re done them

a3fea4664f.jpg