Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Environment Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Egyptian Penguin

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Egyptian Penguin polycounter lvl 4
Hello all!

I saw this contest not too long ago and figured I would try my hand at it.

School just ended for me so I got some free time, I figured I would start with silhouettes to show just the start of where I am coming from.

I have chosen to make a Turret. After lurking a bit around, the thing that got my thinking for an idea was my own. I wanted to do a turret based off of the mysterious Nazca lines.

I had a few ideas in mind, the overall design would incorporate elements from the actual designs of the other animals while forming together this "structure" of lines.

vh93ed.jpg

I am currently putting some thought more into the base. Turrets are supposed to look "stable" so the key I'm going to have to work with is the stable feeling while having it focus on the "lines" aspect.

I will either have more silhouettes up soon or actually jump right into modelling.

Replies

• SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Oh you chose a hard one. In my eyes, "thin" lines are always harder to make than thicker structures ... at least for me. I've always have problems to avoid, that thin structures get too noisy and more important: look stable enough to (for example) hold such a "heavy" figure.

Did you use refrences of animals or jewelry?
  • Egyptian Penguin
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT wrote: »
    Oh you chose a hard one. In my eyes, "thin" lines are always harder to make than thicker structures ... at least for me. I've always have problems to avoid, that thin structures get too noisy and more important: look stable enough to (for example) hold such a "heavy" figure.

Did you use refrences of animals or jewelry?

I took a look into turrets and did my best to give "some" league aspects to it. Hence the jewels.

The actual lines I will admit will be a challenge but I'm considering messing with some more ideas. Perhaps making the lines more like metal "supports" while stone fills in the places in between?

I'll use one of the hummingbird ones as an example Since I am leaning towards one of them more so than the spider:

21j7k88.jpg

(Stone is grey)
    (Metal is Gold)

I want to get the Nazca lines design in there but I don't want to make it look like a spider web ironically enough. Otherwise the design does look too busy.

Would you see having stone "fill in the gaps" work? Or would that kill the overall concept?

EDIT: As I type this I'm messing with bases, coming up with somewhat resonable ways to have the base of the turret fit with the theme while also looking somewhat stable.
  • Egyptian Penguin
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not out of this thing yet.

I'm gonna finish this some more tonight. But I'm laying down the base of the turret and doing all I can to have a nice look that fit the original idea.

11vpbgg.png
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    I'm not sure in exactly which style you gonna aim but maybe a bit more mechanical detail could help you:

moog_turret-tester.jpg
  • Egyptian Penguin
    Offline / Send Message
    242fr7d.png

I came across some issues recently but I'm not quitting. If I can't finish the contest, I will at least attempt to finish this turret.

I've figured out a nice little pattern I can work with when I get to texturing and how I can at least make the turret feel stable, overall the base work is done, I'm gonna refine this down to make it more "line" like instead of being blocky as well as hit some extra details. There are a few places I could add more "nazca line" touch but I wanted to at least show where I am at now.
  • Egyptian Penguin
    Offline / Send Message
    Overhauled this thing.

I went in and cleaned up a bunch of stuff that was really not working with the whole "lines" motif and did my best to clean up excess polygons. I'll probably shift a few things around but I should be texturing soon.

29ffdvn.jpg
  • Moshbeast
    Hey I also made wings for my turret and since the lines look a bit like a crane I would try to take some of those features on board
    24592nazca_bird.jpg
    sandhill_crane_21.jpg

So try to keep it to the line shape but also look at how the tips of crane wings look to get a better shape out of it. I'd also make the individual feathers less cube shape by starting to get a better wing shape and then following the thickness so the thickest point is the bone at the top getting less as it stretches out