Home General Discussion

Any Other "Big" Engines Comin'

TAN
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12
Hello mates.

I am about to migrate from CryEngine these days. Plan is to drop it completely before Christmas.

The only option is Unreal Engine 4. But "currently" it lacks a reliable and high quality real time Global Illumination solution. You need to take light bakes.

It has been quite some time since I last basked lighting ( 4 years :D) and I don't want to go back to that. :D

I had heard some rumors about some ıther " Big" engines going public. Like the FOX Engine and Snowdrop Engine.

I searched the net quite a bit and couldn't find much. So wanted to ask here.

Any of you mates hear anything around about these engine would go public/ subscription/ SDK ? Any clue would be appreciated.

Thanks and Keep Up the Goodwork everyone !

Here is a cookie ( melon pan) for great answers beforehand :D

7N2KnMB.png

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Unity version 5.
    No one knows when it'll be coming out, though.
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    what's so bad about light bakes?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    why just look at the big ones? there are SO MANY engines out there to choose from, some better than others. In this case, bigger doesn't always mean better:

http://www.indiedb.com/engines
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Good point. Because:

1-) I really need that real-time GI because of the game I want to make. It is a RTS and baking that even for for a quick art check gonna take... forever.

2-) I really need a good renderer capable of high quality real-time visuals because I use game engines as a renderer for portfolio purpuses.
  • .nL
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    I don't think you'll find anything like what you're looking for in that list. Most of those engines can't really live up to what you or many have come to expect of a modern engine's feature-set.

A lot of them have some great potential, but you need to be willing to rewrite swathes of them to get the results or flexibility you'd want.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    you dont need fancy rendering for your game , you need good gameplay
    i`m going to be very blunt about it but you also need to work on your art, no fancy rendering is going to make up for assets that arnt up to par

its great that you have experience with using engines though , just dont lose focus on whats most important. your portfolio tells me you want to be a character artist then you should be creating characters that look good no matter what engine they might end up in

sorry if it sounds harsh but if you get the message it will benefit you in the long run
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    UE4's LPV system is probably going to be reasonable for an RTS.

Unity 5's stuff (Enlighten) is still basically baked, so your mileage there would still be totally limited.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    .nl,

Can I suggest you put what you think needs to be in one of these "other" engines into this Torque 3d thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143512

There are some programmers dedicated to making it better. PBR and possibly even GI are already in da works.
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    @.nL

Hmm... I guess you are right.

@ Ravenslayer

Constantly working on characters in fact. You are right. Need to improve everyday.
    Also I get what you mean. People's skills first, software and hardware second.

ambershee:

Yeah there is LPV, I guess the only way to find out is trying it out sometime on a large terrain.
  • plastix
    Offline / Send Message
    plastix polycounter lvl 4
    TAN wrote: »
    2-) I really need a good renderer capable of high quality real-time visuals because I use game engines as a renderer for portfolio purpuses.

[vv]108197771[/vv]
    watch?v=z5nBA45DvRo
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah there is LPV, I guess the only way to find out is trying it out sometime on a large terrain.

It is what Lionhead built it for!
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    @ plastix.

Hmm Good :D

@ ambershee:

Exactly BUT current LPV in UE4 builds is not the onee Lionhead using right now. They improved it to a great extent. e are using the first version. That is why I was hesitating in the first place in fact :D
  • .nL
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    oXYnary wrote: »
    .nl,

Can I suggest you put what you think needs to be in one of these "other" engines into this Torque 3d thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143512

There are some programmers dedicated to making it better. PBR and possibly even GI are already in da works.

Nice, will do. I've not looked too much into Torque (I had assumed that the project had stagnated after the MIT source release). It's good to see that the project's reaching out to artists and designers, to improve usability- since that's usually the one thing holding open-source engines back.

Also, TAN- Not as graphically advanced as you may like, but Jmonkey Engine's pretty good both in terms of usability and implementation if you can stomach Java long enough to get things done in it.

http://jmonkeyengine.org/
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Oh just making deeper search aaaand.... this :D

God Damn it !

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/35329/lpv-causing-crash-with-translucent-material-in-a-m.html

Also this:

FFFFUUUUUU..... :D

WLlLZFi.jpg
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Good point. Because:

1-) I really need that real-time GI because of the game I want to make. It is a RTS and baking that even for for a quick art check gonna take... forever.

1. There are plenty of good looking RTS games which do not have realtime GI, why exactly do you think you need it?

2. How are your portfolio and the RTS connected? Who ever will look at your portfolio will be able to look past the fancy realtime GI, it's a nice to have, but no must have. so i would say ramp up your art before you put too much thought into a engine.

For your game, get an engine your coders are comfortable with and make great art within it's boundaries. You really do not need a super nextgen pbr based photorealistic renderer for a RTS game, which is most likely going to be seen from very far away, so make sure it looks good from the players distance.
  • WarrenM
    I think real time GI is one of those things that people imagine they need. Like, it's going to make everything magically awesome and work perfectly straight out of the box. The reality is usually far different.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    You don't have to bake everything with UE4. UE4 does offer dynamic lighting.
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I think real time GI is one of those things that people imagine they need. Like, it's going to make everything magically awesome and work perfectly straight out of the box. The reality is usually far different.

Quoted for truth.

There is also the Bitsquid Engine which is a nice data driven engine. (No realtime GI though)
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Neox wrote: »
    1. There are plenty of good looking RTS games which do not have realtime GI, why exactly do you think you need it?

2. How are your portfolio and the RTS connected? Who ever will look at your portfolio will be able to look past the fancy realtime GI, it's a nice to have, but no must have. so i would say ramp up your art before you put too much thought into a engine.

For your game, get an engine your coders are comfortable with and make great art within it's boundaries. You really do not need a super nextgen pbr based photorealistic renderer for a RTS game, which is most likely going to be seen from very far away, so make sure it looks good from the players distance.

WOW WOW, calm down mate :D Quite a bit of a misunderstanding goin' on here I see :D

I simply don't want to bake maps. That simple. That is it really. Nothing else crosses my mind :D

Of course my portfolio got NOTHING to do with the RTS game I want to. In fact I simply use a 3-point lighting with an Environment probe for renders not even anything else. The reason for wishing for that is even simpler than the first one:

I pay a subscription fee. Why not using the same thing for also portfolio stuff and such instead of paying another subscription to another rendering program ?

See ? Calm down and read the posts mate and the truth... will reveal itself :D
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    seconding what has been said, that game-art has always been about working within limits (just like life is to make this philosophical).

It is often an easy distraction to think one has to touch a lot of technology first, rather then trying to master a little less. Being aware of technology is important, and toying with it... but there are good reasons to "hold back" and focus on less first.
    Unfortunately the "mastering" takes time, and shows less visible improvement in short time, hence it's always more appealing to "add another layer" of complexity, which means one will make quickly progress with some new tech again. That is more rewarding, "easier", "quicker", the dark side ;)

edit: saw your new reply, and I probably took it from a different angle as well
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7

While we're somewhere near the subject of Unreal Engine 4, is there anyway to increase the shadow map cascades on dynamic shadows past 4? I don't really have any programmer or engine rendering background experience so I'm unsure how it works other than each additional cascade seems to increase the fidelity by two, but would something like that be simple or difficult?

Currently I'm finding a mixture of lightmapped and dynamic shadows to work the best, but ideally I'm working to figure out a way to have crisp dynamic shadows on both small and medium sized objects in a large area. Shadows on small objects (we're talking coffee cup sized or smaller, as small as pencils casting shadows on desks or the tiniest being the toggle on a light switch) look nice when right next to it but as soon as you take a few steps back the drop in visual detail is pretty noticeable. I find blending between dynamic and static shadows looks alright when about 10,000 units or more away but any closer and it's also pretty noticeable.

I could of sworn I was able to set the shadow cascades in the UDK to something like 10, manually typing it to some crazy number like 20 in Unreal Engine 4 drops it down to 10 but it looks the same as 4.

I have also lowered the bias down to be pretty low which helps, although I can't go too crazy with it before shadow acne of doom starts to occur.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator

I think there are scenarios where having GI is really important and other stuff (like pre-baking) isn't good enough. Example, a game using a flashlight to navigate a dark building at night. You need GI to simulate the light from the flashlight bouncing all across the room. If you pre-bake this, it would look silly (since the flashlight isn't permanently turned on everywhere at the same time).

Of course, GI isn't a magic button that makes all computer graphic problems go away. But just having a lightsource cast only direct illumination can get in the way of capturing realism. Having it in real time also means less waiting on the renderfarm.

Instead of prebaking 10 different lightmaps to correct an error or get a desired result, you could save time by tweeking the light bounces right in front of you.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    TAN wrote:
    See ? Calm down

I am entirely calm, still i do not see how you really need dynamic GI for a good looking RTS :)

you can do a lot with ambient cubes to get some bounces going on, or using other ways to fake the light bounces. Of course Dynamic GI is nice to have, but why do you need it? My questions remains :)

What does your content look like right now?
  • WarrenM
    You need GI to simulate the light from the flashlight bouncing all across the room.
    Need? Or want? :) Lots of games have shipped with flashlights...
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Need? Or want? :) Lots of games have shipped with flashlights...
    Took me a while but I found the .gif!

Driveclub on PS4 is an example of the flashlight GI I was talking about.

pscffb.gif

See how the rear lights bounce from the wall and back into the car? This couldn't be done if it was pre-baked.

It's true games still feature flashlights, which I don't deny. However, they were never as realistic, if they cast light without any secondary bounces. It's also understandable why they haven't had GI up until now. Hardware has gotten a lot more powerful, we should expect it to be common place either in this generation or the next.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    3 Point Lighting for Portfolio renders is best done by Marmoset. It's simple to set up, save, and reuse. You can also set the assets up for Unreal and still use them with no changes to the maps.

Unreal DOES allow you to use non baked lighting through Cascaded Shadow Maps. It's actually been available since the January 2012 UDK build and I've used it for a project or two. Works very well. Yes, you won't have real time GI but considering the genre, I personally am not sure you need that and just want it.

So why exactly are you switching from CryEngine? It's a cheaper sub fee, it seems to have the tools you want...I'm a bit lost as to what you're looking for?
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Neox wrote: »
    I am entirely calm, still i do not see how you really need dynamic GI for a good looking RTS :)

you can do a lot with ambient cubes to get some bounces going on, or using other ways to fake the light bounces. Of course Dynamic GI is nice to have, but why do you need it? My questions remains :)

I... DON'T.... WANT TO..... BAKE ..... MAPS

That's it. I Swear to Jesus Christ ! Really ! No reason else ! I am NOT lying. I swear on the name of Her Majesty and Country ! Really ! I have no ulterior motives !

Believe me ! I am not GUILTY ! You GOT THE WRONG MAAAAN !!!
    You believe me now ? :D

So why exactly are you switching from CryEngine? It's a cheaper sub fee, it seems to have the tools you want...I'm a bit lost as to what you're looking for?

Ahhh the most important question.

There really isn't much of a community going on these times and highly probable, won't go ever again.

Over the last 6-7 years I covered most of visuals, characters, level setups, visual scripting ( flowgraph) , physics. I can even write my own entities in C++ that does stuff that I want thanks to a great guy's tutorials.

But going further from that is not much possible because there is simply no sources to learn from and no great community like UE4 to ask around.

Also with latest scandals with Crytek I am not sure how the engine will fare in the near future honestly speaking.

That is why.
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    __ Double post ----
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Like others have said, UE4 offers GI or some minor form of it I thought? As for baking lightmaps, you absolutely do not need to in UE4 (but is it really that big of a deal? Seriously? It should not take thaaaaaaat long to bake a lightmap, if it does, there is something else going on here). In the limited experience I have had lighting in the engine, it can be 100% dynamic, it's mainly just a performance issue for most. Dynamic lighting is expensive, there is just no way around that currently. Yes, some engines handle it better than most, but I think for a full game project, baking light maps is still beneficial. I guess its just preference? IDK, but I do not mind baking maps as baking in artificial bounce light with statics as well is pretty damn nice.

TL;DR, UE4 is going to be the next best thing to CryEngine when it comes to features and quality out of the box. Goodluck getting what you want with other engines these days that meet the same "quality" of UE4/Cry.
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    JordanN wrote: »
    Took me a while but I found the .gif!

Driveclub on PS4 is an example of the flashlight GI I was talking about.

pscffb.gif

See how the rear lights bounce from the wall and back into the car? This couldn't be done if it was pre-baked.

It's true games still feature flashlights, which I don't deny. However, they were never as realistic, if they cast light without any secondary bounces. It's also understandable why they haven't had GI up until now. Hardware has gotten a lot more powerful, we should expect it to be common place either in this generation or the next.

i do believe that is just the screen space glossy reflections doing its thing on the car because there is no bounced diffuse lighting present on the ground
    I... DON'T.... WANT TO..... BAKE ..... MAPS

That's it. I Swear to Jesus Christ ! Really ! No reason else ! I am NOT lying. I swear on the name of Her Majesty and Country ! Really ! I have no ulterior motives !

Believe me ! I am not GUILTY ! You GOT THE WRONG MAAAAN !!!
    You believe me now ? :D

i do not think he was questioning your dynamic motives but rather your need for bounced light at all - just a well-set ambient level would be suffice for most purposes
  • WarrenM
    To be fair, there's a difference between dynamic lighting and real time GI. GI has light bounces, which is where the challenge comes in.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    juniez wrote: »
    i do believe that is just the screen space glossy reflections doing its thing on the car because there is no bounced diffuse lighting present on the ground

This, meant to mention this in my post. If it is "global illumination" it is a hack-y one at best, as juniez mentioned... The ground and surrounding objects receive no bounce light, and the overall car itself seems to not be affected other than the screen space reflections.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    who needs to calm down here?

and on the topic... who says you need to bake maps?
    most rts have no prebaked maps, due to the world being dynamic to some degree.

if you want to use enlighten, go for it, buy a license or wait for unity 5. people bere are trying to help and to understand better what you are after...
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    enlighten also has a fair bit of precomputation involved though. but alien isolation looked really good in the dark flashlight bits and (i think) that used enlighten
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    I might be a bit late to the conversation here...butt Tan, it sounds maybe like you're mixing up Realtime GI with just realtime shadowmapping and lighting?

That's totally feasible in many engines, including UE4. You can skip all of lightmass in UE4 if you want to and rely on just on the dynamic shadow/lighting solutions, with a skylight to help fake bounce. That's how many RTS games do it, I imagine. Neox was questioning why you would need actual bounce in an RTS, since it's unlikely the light subtlety would even be noticeable from a traditional RTS camera.

Regarding the bounced flashlight GI stuff---that drive club example seems a little tricky to tell if it's actual bounce...or just direct lighting. Regardless, the flashlight trick is done pretty nicely in Alien:Isolation..the flashlight bouncing does a tremendous job of giving you navigable light mixed with a dim/spooky flashlight. But there was probably some baking involved with this solution--not baking lighting, but baking color influence into a 3d grid so that the light color bouncing can be 'averaged' optimally. To the best of my understanding, that's kind of how enlighten and a lot of "realtime" GI stuff work...it's realtime, but still involves "precomputing".
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    juniez wrote: »

i do not think he was questioning your dynamic motives but rather your need for bounced light at all - just a well-set ambient level would be suffice for most purposes

Ohh.. Okay then. Sorry :)

I don't exactly "in-need" of a bounce light system. Maybe I should have said it this way:

" I want a real-time lighting solution for very large maps which can offer both high quality and high-performance. "

So maybe I managed to clear it now ?
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    the thing is that "high quality" and "high performance" are subjective (and also on opposite ends), that's why people wanted a bit more details on what exactly you are after, to help.

what is quality wise good enough, what is performance wise good enough...
    what is the look & feel you want to achieve, technology is a just a way to achieve something, not a purpose
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Map:

Around 16 km squares.
    Includes Vegatation, Destructable buildings ( possibly alembic) , bodies of water, a skybox

Characters:

General RTS setup
    Max. unit count on the screen when cameras is at highest altitude facing downwards can amount around 100, ıncluding form infantry to vehicles, mechs, aircraft.
    Of course buildings constructed on battlefield.

What I "need" is " after I have done everything to increase performance during creation of assets, coding in optimize-wise etc" a dynamic lighting system that would allow around 30 FPS on an average PC.

I am bad at abstract things and I prefer visual things. Here is 4x4 map that I usually play around for fun with infantry and tanks slaughtering each other. The most I could without dropping below 30 FPS was 2 tanks 45 infantry and 3 turrets fighting against each other.. But please keep in mind these were assets optimised for a FPS- quality game. So of course they were a bit "overkill "

gGDsbQb.jpg

So what are your takes on this mates ?
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    my take is that when the camera is that far out all the shadows are culled out anyway--you've basically got selfshadowing, billboard trees, some super LOD'ed meshes, and a lot of atmospherics. Looks like there's an ambient term and a sunlight. Certainly no need for bounced lighting. I don't see much issue replicating that UE4, provided you built the assets with your limits in mind.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    don't get too hung up on really specific rendering features. an engine is more than a renderer. you could make an RTS with any engine I have ever touched, just find one you enjoy working in with good docs and an active community. and don't expect everything to be like cryengine if you're leaving cryengine anyways! just 2 cents :)
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Add3r wrote: »
    This, meant to mention this in my post. If it is "global illumination" it is a hack-y one at best, as juniez mentioned... The ground and surrounding objects receive no bounce light, and the overall car itself seems to not be affected other than the screen space reflections.
    I don' know if it's SSR. I've seen other examples where the light hits something and it bounces back. Also, consider the cars are moving. How would a pre-computated light probe keep up with that?

oSKrX9Q.jpg
  • stabbington
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    Might be some kind of realtime reflection probe/cubemap convolution on the car, maybe?
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Map:

Around 16 km squares.
    Includes Vegatation, Destructable buildings ( possibly alembic) , bodies of water, a skybox

Characters:

General RTS setup
    Max. unit count on the screen when cameras is at highest altitude facing downwards can amount around 100, ıncluding form infantry to vehicles, mechs, aircraft.
    Of course buildings constructed on battlefield.

What I "need" is " after I have done everything to increase performance during creation of assets, coding in optimize-wise etc" a dynamic lighting system that would allow around 30 FPS on an average PC.

I am bad at abstract things and I prefer visual things. Here is 4x4 map that I usually play around for fun with infantry and tanks slaughtering each other. The most I could without dropping below 30 FPS was 2 tanks 45 infantry and 3 turrets fighting against each other.. But please keep in mind these were assets optimised for a FPS- quality game. So of course they were a bit "overkill "

So what are your takes on this mates ?

At that distance bounced lighting or dynamic global illumination really isn't going to make that much of a difference. You'd be better off on focusing on making the large details seem "real" at that specific distance. IE making textures that look more like a view from an airplane or helicopter and less focusing on up close blades of grass. Being able to create textures that do not look obviously repetitive at that specific distance would be foremost, making the elevation and broad landscape interesting without looking strange, focusing more on atmospheric effects (maybe some particle clouds or volumes or whatever rather than standard fog), having an ocean that doesn't appear to tile, etc. would all take a higher priority.

No one's really going to notice whether there are light bounces and reflections on a soldier's helmet when they're the size of an ant, unless you zoom in to first person size. And imo, I think there's a reason RTS's typically stick to making the details fit for whatever level the camera is predominately set at. (Larger environments = more work = more stress on the graphics card, which is migrated by LODs but you have to ask, do you have time to make everything look first person quality in a game where you can view the whole island?) Then again, who knows if you think about procedural elements or modularity to save some of the time it takes.

I'd recommend taking a look at wargame: air land battle/red dragon for a rather nice example of beautiful textures at a distance, which also allows you to zoom in detail-wise to the jets and tanks and still look great. (I think it might have to do with blending between different textures depending on the distance away from the object, not too sure)

2038335-679868_20130503_004.jpg

The skylight source also does a pretty decent job of creating ambient light with a fully dynamic light, and you can of course get away with making everything looking a bit more cohesive and visually interesting by messing with the post-process settings all day. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/PostProcessEffects/ColorGrading/index.html

hint: messing around with the curves of the overall values can introduce some nice effects, like darking the midtones or specific colors, creating a more contained spectrum of color, etc. Sort of like how the ole' cinematic blue lens cap seems to be applied to every recent battlefield game to make it seem a bit more "real" in a camera-man hollywood sense. Just think about how almost cold and gray the colors feel in the opening of Saving Private Ryan compared to some of the rather over-the-top vibrant colors in some environments of Inglorious Bastards for example. (Queue the cool versus warm tones)

Anyways, there's a bunch of random crap from my head. Take from it what you will :)
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    The one "RTS" that really nails zooming in and out is Sins of a Solar Empire. Zooming feels really good in that game, everything lods in and out seamlessly from full models to unit icons. Quite good-looking game that didn't break the bank on performance either.

If your game doesn't need to operate on a galactic level you will probably not need zooming this intense and your requirements will be somewhat relaxed for art :)
  • Jacky
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6

That is not an issue since 4.5. I think i should update that post.

Also you can get pretty good results if you mix LPV with a movable Skylight.
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    JordanN wrote: »
    I don' know if it's SSR. I've seen other examples where the light hits something and it bounces back. Also, consider the cars are moving. How would a pre-computated light probe keep up with that?

oSKrX9Q.jpg

usually the player car has realtime relfections (wich is very expensive) the cars of the opponents probably use a hybrid of prebaked cubemaps when they are far away and screenspace reflections when they are closer to the player.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Goeddy wrote: »
    usually the player car has realtime relfections (wich is very expensive) the cars of the opponents probably use a hybrid of prebaked cubemaps when they are far away and screenspace reflections when they are closer to the player.

This. the above screenshot definitely looks like SSR to me, especially with the "light" hitting the inside of the dash and AC vents which is behind cover of the "source".
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Tan...
    I really wish I could find a link definitively saying the Fox engine will have a indie/subscription/educational release. Have u found anything?

Also...
    Major face-palm to all the noise second guessing yer GI aspirations.
    I remember the same scanline is more than enuff... No need for GI when it all can be faked arguments for software rendering in the early 2000's. ( ie. before there was a GI solution fer Maya )
    More often than not, by Renderman users/fans with no GI in the near future.
    As far as they knew at that time.
    A position I remember Pixar reinforcing in the forums themselves. ( anyone remember loomis listserve > highend3d > now creative crash? )
    That is until Larry released Entropy and suddenly GI was important enough fer Steve Jobs to sue Larry Gritz for patent infringement/trade secret theft
    ( seriously doubtful and denied despite settlement and the end of entropy. Larry sold Exluna to Nvidia and developed Gelato )
    making way fer Pixars implementation.
    Back then it was the same lecture based on the assumption that being excited on such a new technology meant "u wished for that single mythical make cool button".

I just don't get how anyone can second guess an artist's technology inspirations? Otherwise we would all be painters or cel animators
    ( not that they don't have their own respective tech )
    instead of inspired to create the art of the times.( when interactive CG immersion replaces FILM as the dominant art form )

Now that GI software rendering is commonplace I find that there has never been a make cool GI button and that critiques of rendering on the rendering forums are just as tuff and complex, held up to scrutiny as much as any animation or modeling forum's WIPs!
    ( and I imagine the most inspired r suffering, putting in the most effort/hours/reflection and getting the most inspired results the same as with any other advanced tech's tools! )

I wonder if it were not for those excited "back then" whether or not the tech would have developed as fast when there was so much nay-saying and resistance at the time?
    And from that past experience I would say that the audience has to be that inspired for development to be taken seriously. Catch 22: If u make it they will come vs They came in their pants because u made it. :)

Maybe the promise Geomerics Enlighten originally inspired is not ready/stable enuff yet? ( still :( )
    But from what I have seen from Frostbite and Battlefield for instance...
    There seems to be nothing "inspired"? ( thanks in advance fer examples I may have overlooked )
    Considering the tech seems far from a single "make cool" button:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCPQiCliKmg"]Enlighten GDC 2008 Pre-Release Workflow Video - YouTube[/ame]
    and is capable of varied dramatic and subtle cinematic lighting ( coming from lighting background in broadcasting, it sounds like the promised land of c-stands and bounce sheets for the future of real time! )

Don't know personally if the workflow example is actually possible or a pipe-dream they were just shooting for. But if even simple interior inspirations are possible with today's hardware... I find that extremely exciting!

• ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Claydough - there's something about the formatting in your post that makes it really painful to read :/