Home Freelance Job Postings

Crowd detection, stage animation and music in layers.

Hey Guys,

here is a little project I want to outsource to you:

The client is a famous vodka brand. The idea is to have a huge screen in public. The more people are in front of the screen, the more active the music and the visualisation should be.
The aim is to draw a crowd and the more people participate the more it becomes a dance party.

The screen should show something like this:

Crowd mood
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0x_qmqwzkJypIY5nN6yGGwNI7rqDElUMm2I0N0obJlUh3ezG6

Stage and Effect mood
03.jpg

So we need:
  • A system (kinect?) that can detect the amount of people and the amount of movement. Or at least gives the impression it does =)
  • One track of music that has several layers, that can be adeded from casual to more active dancing
  • One visualization of a stage has several layers that get along with the music
  • Merging these 3 parts and delivering them in a way a casual user can use them.
I am not asking for AAA experience but you should prove that you are capable of doing this. Also you can apply in small teams (programmer, art and sound) so contact your friends or colleagues and I will hire you as a team. Budget for the whole project should be around 3000€. Deadline is on January, 18th.

Being an artist myself: Do you know a forum where I could hire Kinect programmers or sound artists?

Contact me and send samples via christian@marzy.de

Replies

• ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Your goal, deadline and budget is not remotely realistic - have you actually thought about what is required to do what you want at all?

Kinect is also inadequate for what you're wanting to achieve. You'll probably need a bespoke system.

I mean look at that budget- you need at the very least a musician, an engineer and an artist for six weeks. That's only €160 per week for each person involved (less than €5 an hour). Minimum wage in my country is €8.20, though I'd be asking for €180 per day, personally.

Realistically you probably need more people, especially with a six week deadline, which you probably still wouldn't be able to hit anyway.
  • neptar
    When I pitched the project it was for an higher budget. But the client wants it to be smaller. And rather than doing no project at all, we will give him a downscaled version with 2D silhouette sprites and a stage covered in effects and lensflares.

Being an artist myself I know that can be done and animated in a week. With your asking price of 180€ per day, that would make 900€ to complete the visual part of the project leaving 2100€ for the programmer and the music.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, I'm an engineer. €180 * 20 working days (very conservative estimate) = €3600 ;)
  • neptar
    Well, thats why we are looking for a simple kinect solution that only gives us a rough estimate of people in front of the camera instead of a bespoke custom build system.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/11/20/xbox-one-how-many-people-can-kinect-handle
    This shows that kinect can count people, we dont need it to be super accurate. If the limit is 6 or 8 people than we can live with that.

Ask kinect how many people "guests" are in front of the camera and play a sequence or video based on that. That should be an easy task.

So if anyone knows how to do this - I am looking forward to work with you.
  • mromgwtf
    I'm an electronic music producer, check your email.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    neptar wrote: »
    WIf the limit is 6 or 8 people than we can live with that.

Kinect can detect a maximum of six users within field of view (up to 3.5 meters away), and can track two of them, so I guess that may work for you.

That isn't sound anything like your original advert though:
    neptar wrote: »
    The idea is to have a huge screen in public. The more people are in front of the screen, the more active the music and the visualisation should be.
    The aim is to draw a crowd and the more people participate the more it becomes a dance party.