Home General Discussion

Digitaltutors, is it worth it?

Youngy798
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
I stumbled across digitaltutors after not really paying it much attention before, it seems like it is a fairly good website, and the prices are quite cheap.

I believe its only £18 for a year subscription.

EDIT turns out that is per month :/

Does anyone have any experience using digitaltutors?

Would you recommend it? If not, why not.

Replies

• Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Its decent. I have a friend who loves it, but he's also just starting to learn. Alot of the things on there seem more aimed towards beginners and some intermediate people, so if you feel your in that category I'd assume its a good deal. You get a lot of tutorials on various subjects.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I'm pretty sure it's more like that much for a month... I just looked at it and it's $299 for a year.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    I probably need to re-look at that.. damn.

Oh yeah, im an idiot :D I didn't see the 'per month' part..

It seemed worth it for £18 a year, but I don't think 216 a year is worth it. Ill stick with Youtube videos :D

Anyone know any good, free/cheap places for good tutorials? I can't find any decent tutorials for sculpted tillable textures.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love their stuff and I find it worth the money. The tutorials are professional and they cover a lot of different apps...

EDIT : Oh, and they just merged with another tutorial place that does nothing but programming languages so there's that. I forget the name now ...
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Youngy798 wrote: »
    I probably need to re-look at that.. damn.

Oh yeah, im an idiot :D I didn't see the 'per month' part..

It seemed worth it for £18 a year, but I don't think 216 a year is worth it. Ill stick with Youtube videos :D

Anyone know any good, free/cheap places for good tutorials? I can't find any decent tutorials for sculpted tillable textures.

They have very nice beginner to intermediate tutorials, and some good intermediate and advanced tutorials. It totally worth £216 a year.
    You can definitely find decent tutorials at Youtube, but you've got to swim through countless outdated and shitty videos in order to gather enough good ones. At the end of the day you will waste a lot of time on that, so it would be even more effective to work for a week in McDonalds and pay 216 pounds instead of spending time on shitty youtube videos.
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    One thing I found useful on digital tutors is their interface breakdowns of new software.

Off the top of my head I know Topogun, Marmoset, and 3d-Coat have really short and sweet rundowns. It's great for when you're transitioning from a similar tool and just need to know where the buttons are.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    They have a pretty good selection of tutorials, though some of them are pretty outdated by now.
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I love their stuff and I find it worth the money. The tutorials are professional and they cover a lot of different apps...

EDIT : Oh, and they just merged with another tutorial place that does nothing but programming languages so there's that. I forget the name now ...

Pluralsight.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    You can always score a discount with another great site 3dmotive.com by looking at my sig! :poly124::poly124:
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Comparing this to a "traditional" type education, saying you pour your heart, soul, and mind into your work... 216 a year is a steal. You can go from complete newb status to creating full blown, game ready art in less than a year at a junior level. Say you went through university, you are looking at like 10grand worth classes, a bunch of bullshit GE stuff thrown in there, and just time wasted on pointless tasks. With an online tutoring solution like 3D motive or Digital tutors, you learn at your own pace, and you get every single penny's worth of material out of these tutorials. Think about how many tutorials you could go through in a month, practically the whole site if you are learning at a full time student's pace. Just saying. I wish there was this many resources at the price when I was starting out in 2008.

-Absolutely- worth it for beginner/intermediate level.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    It's decent for beginners to get a grasp of the basics with many different pieces of software.
    Terrible for advanced stuff though. The official tutors aren't skilled enough in their work to give good advice on advanced techniques and processes, and the videos tend to avoid such topics all together.
    Even in the basic stuff though, I often find myself screaming in my head "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?"
    But half of that is flawed methods, half of it is them simply having a terrible habit of not explaining why they do certain things a certain way.
    Some times they get professionals to create tutorials on more advanced topics for them, but then it swings the other way and they generally aren't very good at actually teaching or explaining things.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    It's awesome for getting a grasp on something that you know little to nothing about, such as a new software, or say rigging a quadruped. Some of the tutorials are really long and drawn out, which can make it hard to sit though. Overall, I think DT is a great learning resource.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    I followed the old car tutorial back in my last year of college, and honestly learned more about modelling from that tutorial then I did the 3 years I was at school... given college covered the bases so parts of the tutorial were old news for me but it also showed me tools in maya I knew nothing about and different techniques that made life so much easier.

following this tutorial:
    http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/2959-Maya-Modeling-Techniques-Automotive

and made 3 different cars currently in my portfolio with ease
  • av0101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    av0101 polycounter lvl 7
    so whats a good website/tutorials for more advance techniques?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I don't know. I feel like Digital Tutors as a whole isn't very good. It seems like maybe 10% of their tutorials are any good, with like 90% noise.

I prefer 3dmotive, eat3d, gnomon, etc. It seems like while they don't have like a huge amount of content, the stuff they do have is excellent.

My general rule of thumb is to avoid a tutorial if the end result looks bad. I don't see the point if the person making it doesn't have good results?
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    That's why I say it's good for learning the basics, IE how to actually use the software and churn out functional results. Not so much get anything out of it that looks great.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    my experience with Digital tutors was great especially when I was starting out and learning the foundations, if you are a newby, yes I would recommend them