Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique much appreciated (head sculpt WIP)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
BakedCookie polycounter lvl 3
So seeing all the fantastic artwork being posted here makes me think five times before making a thread myself, but I've reached a point in my current sculpt where I could really use a second opinion. So essentially: it this any good?

OWMQFUV.png

Replies

• nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    Its okay. Though if you want honest opinion, you need to learn a bit more face proportions and anatomy. That ear is too close to the front face. The top head bone is too narrow and side view head should be a bit more outward (going out)

Other wise its cool, I cant sculpt for shit so anatomy is the only thing I can critique. Good luck ! :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BakedCookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TeriyakiStyle if you're going to tell me I'm shit at least have the common decency of telling me what you don't like. Just writing "nah it's bad go learn stuff" is not going to teach me anything. I have made a sculpt that, save a few mistakes, more or less follows proper anatomy; I need to know what I fucked up here if I'm ever going to get better. I have actually followed a reference image but I didn't post it since I wanted this sculpt to be judged without prejudice (if you have the real life thing to compare it to all the little things pop out like crazy).

Christ, I wonder how exactly I'm supposed to interpret your feedback. For example nastobi123 expressed his opinion on the anatomy and that is concrete and solid feedback that I can act upon. Your feedback on the other hand is... go back to the drawing board? Because that's pretty much the only way I can interpret it. I mean sure 2 weeks of studying anatomy isn't going to reap benefits on my first sculpt following that but then again I'm pretty damn sure no artist made a perfect piece on their first attempt after learning the theory. And yes I still have plenty to learn, no doubt about that, but I came here to get opinions on the sculpt. Not be ridiculed and told something I know all too well.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BakedCookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough, I think you've made your point. I did a second pass on the whole thing, illustrated below. I think the general form is much better but the features need more work. But hell, what do I know.

UuY5N8a.png
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Ignore the neck for now. All concentration on the head and bone structures, for example check how zygomatic bone goes and how it relates to the ear. Check how the temporal line and jaw line goes. These things will help you to place the ear correctly.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Faces are very difficult, but don't worry, with enough time and practise your anatomy sculptures will become better and better :D

Start with the overall shapes and proportions of the head and then go into the details. Allways dubble check the proportions before you adding, for example defined lips and teeth, details.
    https://warosu.org/data/ic/img/0016/87/1395670599047.jpg
    https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/anatomy.php

Keep it up :thumbup:
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    You're getting some nice sculpting around the eye area, as well as the nose. But it looks like you're trying to model details such as the shapes of the ears, eyes, nose, etc before nailing down the basic shape first. It can be frustrating to shape the head using a hi-res mesh. Are you using dynamesh? If so, you should start at a very low resolution and build up extremely basic shapes first. Only when you have it blocked out should you go into the detailing process. Don't be scared to start over using this approach. I can tell you right now that every artist here has started from scratch at some point, and in my experience it's always for the better. You don't have to be married to any of these files, especially when it's so early in the process. There's a lot to learn from scrapping something and starting fresh.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this learning process can be frustrating and tedious. When someone critiques your work or tells you it looks wrong, it's not a personal attack. We're all here to help each other become better artists. TeriyakiStyle's critique may have seemed a little harsh, but that's his approach to helping. I thought he handled your response very well. This thread could've easily turned into a shouting match but it didn't. It doesn't help you to be defensive. Putting your work out there for the world to see can be very humbling and you should keep doing it to improve faster. Just remember, there are no two words more useless on this forum than "good job".
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    jhoy, do you mind dropping te subdivisions down a LOT? We should take this a section at a time, let's focus on face sihlouette before we up-res to where you have it right now. We want to see faceting.
  • dimosM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there is a great thread with lots of useful information on head sculpting : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122731
    check it out
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Agreed with JadeEyePanda
    Drop down the sub divs, work on the planes of the face. Dont rush to that high poly so quick, I sometimes have the same issue.
    Her head is too lumpy, and her neck is too big.
    Focus on getting the skull just right, otherwise its going to show tremendously.
    Just keep doing it over and over and over again.
    PS: dont ask is it good, state what you want to do, then look for critiques. IT makes it much easier for others to help guide you if they know where you're trying to go.

Here's a tip that I follow to this day.
    Dont take every criticism personally, but DO take them all seriously.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BakedCookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, that is quite a comprehensive guide I must say, though are you sure more references will yield a better result? What I mean is that from picture to picture the expression changes so wouldn't that just cast unnecessary confusion to the mix? And then varying degrees of perspective distortion don't help matters either. Objectively more references are better but I think they need to be consistent.

And as I should have expected the "use lower subdiv levels" came up... I'll be honest with you, I despise sculpting below a certain threshold. But isn't the whole point of those lower subdiv levels to force the artist to concentrate on the large forms? By that logic using higher subdiv shouldn't be an issue so long as I ignore small details until the general form feels right. And frankly I can't determine if that's the case without some landmarks such as the eyes, mouth and nose- which require a larger polycount than you seem to recommend. On a side note, and I may be talking out of my ass here, sculpting actual clay is effectively working with an infinite polycount. So I would think the process then boils down more to your mindset and correct order of priorities rather than contriving ways to limit yourself. That's just my opinon though.

And defining planes is more than possible at the polycount I'm working with I think:

NeTJpWU.png

Also I was writing a reply an hour or so ago but the power went out, so here is that bit:

Well, where to start eh? First off my response to TeriyakiStyle was way too impulsive and I shouldn't have responded like that. That was fueled mostly by me thinking "here I think I'm getting somewhere with this and this is the only response I get?". Guess I need to distance myself from my work a little and not respond so immaturely.

That said while I value all input (hey, at least you stopped by, had a look and took the time to write) there is something about being redirected to other learning places that leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. Not because I don't think I need them, but because I've either already read all there was there or still am studying the content there.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    dont look at models, look at real life, like I mean normal people (diffuse people are good too. . . get it) Some models have exaggerated body proportions, some picture are photo shopped too. So be careful with what reference you use.

the ears should be smaller and the back head bone should be more convex (side view). The head is getting narrower,

other than that, Cheers,
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Drop your mesh resolution, Cookie. You're just causing yourself unnecessary complication by staying so high.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    4.Using lower resolution is about large forms but it's also about clay "hardness" A "block of clay" at 100k points is much more maleable than a 2 million point block. Traditional sculptors often start out loose and soft (warm) and end up working detail into cooler clay - even freezing it at the end to do pore level detail. This behavior can be mimicked by different resolution densities.

Just dropping by to second this. It's much easier to smooth out and move around shapes at a lower subdiv. It looks odd, yes, but as you slowly move up the point-count you have more and more control over what you need to have control over at that point in the workflow. If you start at a very high pointcount, then smoothing is much harder, and the move tool moves small areas. It means you'll end up with this sort of muddy, unclear sculpt that comes from working a muddy, unclear base. It's a phenomenon that is well documented, on this very forum no less. You've heard it before, evidently, so why the resistance?

Keep it up.
  • BakedCookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero wrote: »
    You've heard it before, evidently, so why the resistance?

Because the polycount suggested is so low I'm unable to lay down the landmarks. I just end up shifting everything anyway when I go higher since it's evident the base had the wrong proportions. I'm being told to use lower subdivisions but nobody actually cares to mention what to do with it. Every single tutorial I have watched goes into my preferred poly range after blocking the general shape (ie an egg for the head, a sausage for the arm etc) so I have no idea what to do with the low polycount that people keep telling me to use.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Have a look at Adam Fisher's Timelapses.

That base mesh he uses for the heads is about the point count you want. Look how it's pushed and pulled until it'd got the silhouette and features he wants and for the most part in the correct place... then he goes up one subdiv, and does what he can there, rinse and repeat.

A lot of people who work immediately at high subdivs already have the knowledge and know-how to make a form in zbrush quickly without making stuff lumpy, but it's not necessarily ideal. It's just the workflow they may have developed. Even super-smooth work like Supremefunk's tends to stay at a lower, faceted, easy to smooth subdiv until the main forms are blocked out.

Anyway, there's some examples. Check 'em out.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Its going to take a lot of experience to be able to simply start from high poly. Just keep practicing and you'll get there eventually. But i can vouch for BagelHero, teriyaki, and panda, they always provide excellent critiques, and are willing to help you if you let them.