Home Technical Talk

Fresnel in Vray for Maya

I have a quick question about the two (that I know of) different ways to achieve fresnel in Maya/Vray.

First way, which I'm familiar with from 3ds Max and Vrya, is simply checking the fresnel box in the Vray Material properties.

The Second, which I just picked up in Maya, is to create a sampler Utility node, work with the facing ratio, linked the the U and V coordinates of a gradient ramp, then modify the gradient ramp to your liking and apply that gradient ramp into the reflective slot of the Vray Material.

So which one tickles your fancy and why? On one hand, there is more control with the second method. On the other hand, if vRay materials are supposed to by physically accurate and you are trying to achieve physically accurate materials in your render, wouldn't you be better of just checking the Use Fresnel box right in the Vray material?

Right now I'm thinking the second method is superior for ultimate control. If you want your reflections to behave slighting exaggerated to pop your renders more you'd have the control to do so.

Just trying to figure out the logic behind both and which one I'd be better off using.

Cheers,

Replies

• tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    I've just started using custom fresnel curves and it rocks!

What you want to do is get your fresnel curves from this website, its got most of your materials on it.
    http://refractiveindex.info
    first pick your material, lets say this aluminum
    http://refractiveindex.info/?shelf=main&book=Ag&page=Rakic
    and enter a wave length of 0.55 (Can't remember the reasoning behind it) then if you scroll down to the last graph. you want to copy the green non-polarized curve into your 3d software. once your finished you have a near perfect fresnel curve that you can tweak later for more artistic control.

it's all explained in this video by the way. I'm on this course, its seriously awesome
    http://vimeo.com/94813625
    I've even got a simplified version of it in my game engine at work :P Looks awesome in game to
  • 9krausec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at it later for sure. I've been looking at Grant's videos more and more and thinking about starting some of the free ones for now.

Cheers!
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    How about doing it in ShaderFX if you've got Maya 2014 LT or Maya 2015? :)
    More game like seeing as it would be a real-time shader solution.
  • 9krausec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never worked with ShaderFX. I'm not doing anything for games. All my work is for print or film advertising. No clue what ShaderFX is even capable of.

Also, Vray Fresnel Node looks tight in Maya. There are so many different ways to go about doing the (sort of) same thing.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde wrote: »
    How about doing it in ShaderFX if you've got Maya 2014 LT or Maya 2015? :)
    More game like seeing as it would be a real-time shader solution.

Lmao smooth
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Just wanted to note that samplerinfo/ramp workflow is kinda convoluted (like everything in Maya) compared to one click falloff shader in Max >_<
  • 9krausec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meh. I see it as breaking something down into their base components giving you the ability to have full control that one in a thousand time you need it.

I'd rather not be restricted in anything if that means going through a step or two more. I do agree with you, but that's also how I view it.

Either way, digging the node editor over 3ds compact material editor. Nicely executed.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    9krausec> Ah right. I figured you might come from a film background and was trying to work your way towards games as this is mainly a game oriented forum. Hardly ever see any offline render related questions here.

tadpole3150> ? Not following. Was a serious suggestion on my part given I thought it was for a game related project.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Oh yeah. A cool but maybe a bit hacky way of getting even more curve control is by using a curve node instead of your ramp node with the samplerInfo. Same kind of curve nodes you use for animations. Have't specifically tried it for reflections in Vray, but I have used it for other stuff.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9krausec> Ah right. I figured you might come from a film background and was trying to work your way towards games as this is mainly a game oriented forum. Hardly ever see any offline render related questions here.

tadpole3150> ? Not following. Was a serious suggestion on my part given I thought it was for a game related project.

Oh yea totally it's a wicked shader, it's just funny the way your advertising it
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Just to be clear. I mean ShaderFX as the new feature in Maya. I'd call it more of a Shader Editor rather than one single shader. I'm not trying to sell any of my shaders here, not at all. Wanted to encourage a real-time oriented approach since we're on the PC forums.
  • 9krausec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So. ShaderFX would be geared more towards game design? Could one use it in conjunction with Vray for a baked render/animation (stuff not for game engines, but for film)?

Cheers guys.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    You can get very far with ShaderFX and I think it could serve a role for film productions as well. Have a look at the sample images from this Gnomon DVD on ShaderFX. Really nice quality for a real time shader in the viewport if you ask me.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/1102/#.VG5KmfnF-So

What would be nice is if you could use the same File-nodes for textures for ShaderFX as you can with other hypershader shaders. That way you could build your offline shader and create a real-time shader with similar look for previz purposes in the viewport. Both being fed from the same texture inputs. Shouldn't be too hard to script support to work around this though.

By the way, Game Design in the games industry is used for the work of designing how a game should work/play and not for visuals :)
  • 9krausec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool. Not something I'd sacrifice my Vray workflow for though. All about the end result for me.

I can see though where this would be very powerful to concept ideas out before pushing them to game engines or what-not. I don't know much about it.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah exactly. To mimic your games look directly in the content creators 3D package. Or perhaps to create a game look for your portfolio work.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can get very far with ShaderFX and I think it could serve a role for film productions as well. Have a look at the sample images from this Gnomon DVD on ShaderFX. Really nice quality for a real time shader in the viewport if you ask me.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/1102/#.VG5KmfnF-So

What would be nice is if you could use the same File-nodes for textures for ShaderFX as you can with other hypershader shaders. That way you could build your offline shader and create a real-time shader with similar look for previz purposes in the viewport. Both being fed from the same texture inputs. Shouldn't be too hard to script support to work around this though.

By the way, Game Design in the games industry is used for the work of designing how a game should work/play and not for visuals :)

I've been trying to do something similar to that. Using 3ds max and vray we built these little scenes, made textures, materials and lighting all inside vray so by the end we had this little render scene all set up and looking lovely. We could show these renders to producers and get them signed off before we had to bake a single thing, or even bother a coder. It's real time saver

Once were all happy with it we baked the lighting and copied the textures into our game engine. Using physically based materials you can just copy your vray material settings directly into the game and get results that look just like your offline render. We've even added this custom fresnel curve that 9krausec's talking about in game

The best part about it is now you have this render scene for marketing material and a realtime scene that looks photo realistic.

it's like a backwards version of what your talking about :P
  • 9krausec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was it very difficult to integrate that ShaderFX into your Vray workflow? Bottom line for me is I want a pretty output. That being said, it would be tight to get good looking results in the viewport too. If it's not too much of a hassle to setup I might be interested in giving it a go just for shits and grins.

At my job (bringing Vray and Maya on board), I'll be developing a library of textures that will be pulled and used in multiple projects (we do product rendering, animation for fitness equipment).

I think it'd be worth taking some extra time to develop a material library with ShaderFX integrated into it. Might as well build something really well once if it's going to be use again and again in production.