Home General Discussion

Trouble selling models online

Hi, I don't know where to post this so I'll just post this here.
I'm just a regular user of the student version of 3DS Max, learned through the internet and I want to sell my models on Turbosquid and other websites. However I'm only using a student version and I've heard that I can only "share" them for free and cannot make money off of it. If I want to sell these, do I really have to rent a commercial license that is really expensive? I just want to sell a couple of models, I'm just one single man.

I've also heard that with Blender, the free version, you can sell your models. Can I import models to blender, then reformat and export in blender, will I be able to sell my models then? Or what should I do to sell my models? I'm fine with spending a small amount of cash, but not like 180$ a month for a commercial license.

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    AFAIK Even if you where to purchase a license now, after making the assets, you technically wouldn't be able to sell the assets made on a student version. Ever.

Importing your models into blender and out again to void the student water mark is a big no as well.

You can look into Maya LT its like $30 a month, no lock in contract( need citation here?)
    Or use good ol blender.

Even subscribe to Max, its a bit steep at $300 ish a month.
  • minhogang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can I do the same modeling in Maya too? I'll probably try Maya for 30$ a month, I can deal with that. However I never touched the program.
    Blender seems pretty easy too, can I make the transition from 3DS max to Blender easily?
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Yes, the transition from 3dsmax to Blender is very easy. I did it myself and even thought the "modeling logic" is a little different for max, Blender is a very good and easy to pick up software.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I learnt Maya coming from Max earlier on this year, only took me a month or two to settle in to place.
    To be honest i will always prefer Max, but when i have to use Maya i know i can.

Here's a cool tutorial you mind find helpful.
    https://www.udemy.com/3dsmax-to-maya/
  • minhogang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, thank you community, I'll look forward to this
  • minhogang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to learn 3DS max first, but in the future I'll probably be working with Blender. Is the transition that easy from max to Blender? Or should I ditch 3ds max and start with blender?
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Well, after 2 or 3 days of modeling in Blender it felt as comfortable as 3dsmax, so yes I would say the transition is very easy.

Anyway it's always a good thing to be proficient in many different 3D softwares so I'd recommend learning 3dsmax too. But if you just want to sell models, start with Blender right away.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I might have to deal with something like this soon as well.
    Fwap wrote: »
    AFAIK Even if you where to purchase a license now, after making the assets, you technically wouldn't be able to sell the assets made on a student version. Ever.

Is there any specific documentation about this? I understand the Max to Blender thing, but I feel like if I purchased a license I should have the freedom to publish content from older versions of the same software package. For example, say I was using Maya 2013 educational, then I bought a 2015 license. Why wouldn't I be able to port everything to 2015 so I can legitimately export models unless it's specifically outlined in the EULA?
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    ill have a dig around for it, but I think it boils down to the fact that you cannot used student software for commercial work, period.
    And making work in a student licence then buying a licence still involves using student software.

nvm found the thread i was echoing, the OPs post in this thread.
    https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/933856-(Answered)-Questions-Are-there-legal-problems-with-licensing-just-before-selling
    Pretty stiff if you ask me.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    minhogang wrote: »
    Can I do the same modeling in Maya too? I'll probably try Maya for 30$ a month, I can deal with that. However I never touched the program.
    Blender seems pretty easy too, can I make the transition from 3DS max to Blender easily?

Maya's modeling tools are definitely not its strong point. Out of all the major 3D programs (Max, Maya, Modo, Blender, etc), Maya is generally considered to have the weakest modeling tools.
    If you can't afford Max, Modo is a very good alternative. It should be going on sale some time around November/December for $900.
    If that's still too much, just go with Blender.

Max has far better third party support, but many consider Modo to actually have the best modeling tools. Some would argue Max is better, but at the very least they rival each other in that regard.
    minhogang wrote: »
    I want to learn 3DS max first, but in the future I'll probably be working with Blender. Is the transition that easy from max to Blender? Or should I ditch 3ds max and start with blender?
    If you plan to use Blender, just start with it and keep it.
    I use Blender now after spending months jumping between all the different software, trying them out, and even blowing a few hundred dollars on limited Steam versions I no longer even use.
    Looking back with the experience I have now, I really wish I just stuck with Blender from the very beginning.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Fwap thanks for the link. Most companies seem to be pretty lenient except Autodesk.

Way to go, Autodesk.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Is anyone sure about the Autodesk thing? It seems a bit odd that now you have the money you should not really care. Seems a bit counter-productive in a way but oh well.
  • minhogang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also have a question, can I make the model in blender then use it in sculpting programs like Mudbox, which I have only the student version?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Well can and should are two different things, but basically if there is a commercial license for the software you want to use, then usually that version is meant for people that want to make money by using that software.

If your question is if you will get found out or not, then I think this is not the right place to ask that question.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    many consider Modo to actually have the best modeling tools. Some would argue Max is better, but at the very least they rival each other in that regard.

Im interested in hearing more on this. I use Max at work, but bought MODO for personal use, and even though I have several years of exp in Max and just a few months with MODO, MODO is just so much faster for modelling and UVing for me. And retopoing.
    What do some people think is better with max in this regard? Only thing I can think of is the stack
  • Fisty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisty polycounter lvl 8
    I use modo and max i enjoy really enjoy using modo.. but i go back to using max for somethings just because i have been using max for years and i don't know who to do everything modo :D
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Spoon wrote: »
    What do some people think is better with max in this regard? Only thing I can think of is the stack
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=4&t=91552&page=2