polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Yes, artists deserve recognition as much as everybody else involved in a project.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    That article seems more about concept artists than game artists in general. Maybe not as much as they deserve, but concept artists do get a lot of attention already, moreso than most other members of a game dev team.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Shiniku wrote: »
    That article seems more about concept artists than game artists in general. Maybe not as much as they deserve, but concept artists do get a lot of attention already, moreso than most other members of a game dev team.

like the UI artists and programmers haha
    you don't often hear about good UI/programming work, but people do complain on occasion about not having mouse control in menus/bad netcode/bad AI etc
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    For a programmer like myself, the sign of a job well done is nobody even talking about it ;)
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    ambershee wrote: »
    For a programmer like myself, the sign of a job well done is nobody even talking about it ;)
    Haha, this is so true. Programmers are like spies, if no one talks about them it means the job well done:)
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    shame the kotaku writer didn't start wondering why studios might not publicly credit individual concept artists who provide them massive value.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    or outsourcers... oh wait, we steal ze jerbs of hard workin americans :(
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, this is so true. Programmers are like spies, if no one talks about them it means the job well done
    It's the same with level designers and sound designers ... If everything is done properly, you should hear a lot of silence. :) (obvious sound pun, aside)
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    Kwramm wrote: »

hahahahaha
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11

I kinda feel the same way about art actually. The only people that should be talking about the models and textures are other 3D artists. Everyone else should say OMG GRAPHIX BRO and that's about it. If that happens, we did our job.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *double post*

i think there should be some sort of site, like kotaku, or ign, whatever, but only game art related. anyone can access, anyone can see, anyone can post (posts must be approved, obviously, and nothing under NDA can be posted, thats a given). but i think it would make things a lot more widespread to the public, and give artists a bit of a better image. dunno, just my two cents. many artists used to do it in the beginning of the 20th century
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12

Don't worry mate ! If I play a game and it runs fast and without crushes and has very few bugs I always praise the coder guys from the bottom of my heart ! Kudos kudos !! :D
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    yodude87 wrote: »
    *double post*

i think there should be some sort of site, like kotaku, or ign, whatever, but only game art related. anyone can access, anyone can see, anyone can post (posts must be approved, obviously, and nothing under NDA can be posted, thats a given). but i think it would make things a lot more widespread to the public, and give artists a bit of a better image. dunno, just my two cents. many artists used to do it in the beginning of the 20th century

... Or maybe even a forum, and we could call it 'Polycount'!

In all seriousness I'm not much of a fan of the article, it's supposed to be praising game art and yet features exclusively concept art. It relates directly to my gripe of getting a new awesome art book, then opening it up to find it's exclusively concept art.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    I love Kotaku. They do a lot of posts related to art posted on this website, albeit sometimes random. Although the fine art thing they do, like stated in the article, is a bit more frequent :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Just remember to not make a comment about Enviroment/cliche pieces, or you might get destarred :P
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 wrote: »
    ... Or maybe even a forum, and we could call it 'Polycount'!

In all seriousness I'm not much of a fan of the article, it's supposed to be praising game art and yet features exclusively concept art. It relates directly to my gripe of getting a new awesome art book, then opening it up to find it's exclusively concept art.

haha yea, but if you check our forums, much of it is driven towards people who want to get into the industry, or who are there already. people who are into 3d. the average videogame player wont access polycount, just to check the art of the game they just finished playing.

i meant something more along the lines "hey, i just finished far cry 3, there must be a webzine with all the art of the game, which gives the credits, wonder who all did that beautiful scene in the temple" (just an example)

got my point?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Kwramm wrote: »

Curse you Kwramm!!!! :P

Couple of friends have asked what I have done for Halo or Warframe. Hard to tell them that not much is visible.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    What is this... I don't even
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    problem being that few people really care about what's behind, that's especially true for technical stuff.. if they did they could research.. but that implies that they are actually interested in game art (other than concept art) rather than just seeing it ingame.

I also think there aren't enough art dumps out there.. if you're lucky one or two guys will post here on polycount on their latest game, but that's it.. productions are a little bigger, right? It's a shame that you don't get to see more.
    (And.. that art books only contain concept art.)
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, i think art dumps should be something seen really more often... doesnt matter what you did, just dump it here, for the sake of showing! seriously... miss the times where we would see those big ass art dumps like the ones from gears 2/3
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Cay wrote: »
    (And.. that art books only contain concept art.)

Yeah I find that really frustrating! sometimes they include 1 or 2 pages of zbrush sculpts but the images are too small to really see whats going on and as for in game models theres almost nothing in the art books Ive got :( I guess the general audience for art books thinks of concepts as art and not the rest of the game. Id love it if there was also a section on vfx in an art book or camera animation and how that was set up to maximise the gameplay or cinematics.

Art dumps are awesome! I guess its hard to get legal dept to allow people to post an art dump sometimes?