Home Technical Talk

Trouble with OBJ's

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
StephLee polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys,

I'm having some complications getting my obj's to appear in 3DS max. It comes into the program invisible and with only a bounding box.

I noticed when I rendered it, that a green high poly would render up. But that doesn't help me to make the low-poly.

Any ideas how I can get it to show up in my viewports?

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    "It comes into the program invisible and with only a bounding box."

From what i read here this could simply be something from normals, did you tried to inverse them ? Are vertices still selectable ? Was your mesh imported from an other program or game engine ?

It's should be easy to fix since it's in 3dsmax.
  • armians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armians greentooth
    This happens for me from time to time with fbx'es too.
    What I do is:
    1. Make sure in object properties -> Display Properties -> "By Object" is on, not the "By Layer".
    2. "Display as Box" is uncheked
    Sometimes toggling these helps:
  • 9krausec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another reason for this is the type of OBJ that you are attempting to import. There are two different kinds of .OBJ. One kind written in ASCII and other written in Binary.

3ds cannot see the geo in one of them (I cannot remember which one doesn't play nice with 3ds). Just something you should know. How are these .OBJs being created?

Cheers,
  • StephLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @peanut - I've tried using the inverse normals on the bounding box and nothing happened, there is no mesh, vertices nothing to select.

@9krausec - I'm exporting it from zbrush as an obj.

@armians - I'll give that a shot. I'll let you know the results.
  • 9krausec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never mind what I said then! Zbrush should be exporting to the correct obj.

gLuck!
  • StephLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ 9krausec - thanks man!

@ armians - doesn't seem to be the problem. The work continues.

Would a lack of ram contribute to this? It uses 6.5 of my 8 gigs everytime it imports into 3DS max.
  • 9krausec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this doesn't solve the problem really, but if you'd like you could send me over your OBJ and I'll import it into Maya, export a OBJ as well as an FBX that you could try?

If 3ds still shits out then we can rule that it's 3ds max that is the issue, if I cannot get it into Maya then we can point fingers at zBrush.

9krausec AT gmail . com

use "weTransfer" if it's too large.
  • StephLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the offer 9krausec! Fortunately I have it working! It turns out it was totally a noobish thing I didn't even realize. I had to get decimation master and decimate the sculpt because it was too big. It's showing up now. Thank you everyone for your help!