Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retro Sci-fi Astronaut

Hi guys,

This is a small personal project I did earlier this year. I was trying to get that retro sci-fi look from 2001, Dune and Alien. This is the concept I came up with.

About 14k polys and 2k Textures for suit and 512x512 for face.

I hope you enjoy.

RpcG4k.png
mkkQZG.png
gzL2to.png
With the HDRI
D4vApy.png
Highpoly and topology
mTRQs6.png
3KqpDW.png

Replies

• peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good, looking good, texturing a character with 2k textures was considered a crime a while back.
  • waracle
    I've been playing AC:Unity today. The industry's old standard is really changing!
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Yes i see, still you did a nice job with the backpack highpoly. Maybe change the design of the hoses ? I also like the fabric of the pants. Retro to some degree, you are right.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    May we see texture flats :D?
  • waracle
    Sure.
    head albedo
    GGpsZ2.png
    head normals
    v25zwl.png
    head spec
    IdY4yX.png
    head gloss
    7VtnTt.png
    head AO
    mlQ15C.png
    head translucency (quick and dirty)
    d4NG3f.png
  • waracle
    And,
    body albedo
    sKl06m.png
    body normals
    tS8Nb5.png
    body specular
    u8wF2N.png
    body gloss
    af7xpU.png
    body AO
    O4t5Xv.png
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Your spec and gloss maps could be a lot better. For your spec map you are basically saying that his eyes, mouth, and some of his skin is metal. Anything over a value of .3 in the spec map starts to getting into a metallic range. Your spec determines the brightness of the material, or lack of albedo contribution, which is why if you make your albedo black and your spec white you will get a bright chrome/aluminum look. If you make your albedo bright and your spec bright then Marmoset will automatically reduce the albedo contribution to maintain correct balance. You could simply clamp the specular map inside Marmoset using the multiplier to make sure it doesn't go above .3 if you wanted a quick fix.

Gloss determines how sharp or blurry the reflections of a surface are. Skin is oily, and this guy is probably a bit sweaty, so he would have more detail and a much brighter base value. By making his base gloss value that dark his skin wont get any reflection information.

On a side not, you should bake in AO into an albedo. Put the AO into the separate slot Marmoset has.