Home› Contests & Challenges Archives› Riot Art Contest› Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Burning Lotus Syndra

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Zaina polycounter lvl 10
Hey everyone,

I am going to be making syndra with my own skin idea. The idea pretty much goes along with the new order of the lotus karma skin.

"Rising and blooming above the murk to achieve enlightenment." or in Syndra's case burning everything to the GROUND!

Comments and critique welcome. I am a horrible concept artist and can use all the help I can get.

Reference:
Ref_zpsd2cf7df7.jpg

First sculpt pass to get anatomy down:
Wip_01_zpsd172ce64.jpg

Work in progress paint over of sculpt to get a better understanding of concept:
paintover_04_zpscfa1ad6f.jpg

Hope you like it so far. I want to combine a little more "lotus flower" look to the back of the skirt but finding a hard time getting something I like.

Replies

• Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good ! But be carefull about the thickness of the limbs, they look very thin at the moment. Even if the character have slender arm, they need more thickness on your model. Ankles and thighs looks also slightly too thin, but it's less shocking than the arms.
    Keep up ! ;)
  • Zaina
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaina polycounter lvl 10
    you are totally right. i totally didnt notice it at all. good to have a fresh pair of eyes
  • Zaina
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaina polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks to all those who watch my stream. Here is the progress so far.

rough block in.
    Wip_02_zps5c4dbe75.jpg
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    I really like this concept! (playing syndra a lot) but I would love to see her with her eyes visible. I think that might add something to the model.
    just my two cents -.-
  • JasperSandner
    Hey, great model. I don't know if you're still open to adjusting the design, but I think she could use some stronger shapes in her costume design. Most of the shapes are relatively similar in terms of width. I think adding a couple more larger shapes, like bottom of her skirt, and some super small shapes to catch the eye would make the overall design feel a little more dynamic. Just a little shape variance.

Overall, great! Can't wait to see the finished model.
  • Zaina
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaina polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys! its been a while and I havent checked back here. But rest assured that I've been working when I can.

I wasnt digging the old design so I decided to jump back into it and change things up a bit.
    Please let me know what you think! I cant decide which one to go with and color has been fighting me this whole time. Please let me know which one you like!

@Elithenia: Thanks for the suggestion. I could easily add the eyes in the sculpt since my base mesh still has the eye sockets. I will decide as i finalize the design more. One of my friends also suggested this so ill take it into careful consideration. THanks!
    As @JasperSandner mentioned I could work more on the design to add more shape variance and I plan on doing more of that. I plan on having the cloth to have a slight reflective pattern like karma's Order of the Lotus skin has.

WIP_03_zps58e95a0b.jpg
  • Dantert
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10
    Nice concept so far!
  • Zaina
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaina polycounter lvl 10
    @Dantert: Thank you! your Darius looks stunning. Keep up the good work.

More WIP! The colors are starting to blend into the Justicar Syndra skin. So i am open to suggestions when it comes to the colors. I am stuck.
    WIP5_Grey_zps0a3e3e5d.jpg
    WIP5_Color_zps8717c541.jpg
  • chains16
    looks really good so far! if you're worried about the colors, you could try going for a more bronze/copper tone for the metallic parts, seeing as atlantean and justicar have gold helmets already. you could also try adding more oranges and yellows to the cloth, just to make the fire theme more apparent.
  • Dantert
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe too much black in there, it's would be better with the gray colour of the concept imo
  • Zaina
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaina polycounter lvl 10
    @Chains16: The orange and yellow color to the cloth seems interesting. Ill give it a try. Question tho, wouldnt the bronze/copper kind of look like the gold anyways? If anything I was thinking of trying a bit of white gold or silver for the pieces with that copper lining for the trimmings.

@Dantert: I totally understand. I just feel the grey is kind of too plain. blahhhhh colors too hard.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing sculpt so far!

As for colours, I think you should steer clear of black altogether, it's extremely contrasty and if you look in-game at some of the champs very few (if any, I can only think of Veigar's face haha) have black on them. Even the black outfits are not truley black but darker shades of other colours, take Katarina for example!

Perhaps a very deep red on the black areas, similar to the shadows on her skirt. As for the colour of copper think rose gold copper to push it apart from gold maybe?

:)
  • Rambo4you
    Offline / Send Message
    Rambo4you polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great man, you just need some hovering thing and you are good to go.
  • Zaina
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaina polycounter lvl 10
    @Holly: Thank you! its a pain in the butt and you are right about the black. Kind of slipped my mind. That rose gold is a great idea!

@Rambo4you: Thanks, but what do you mean by some hovering thing? The spheres? or the piece of cloth around her shoulders/back?
  • Zaina
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaina polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys,
    Its been a while since my last update.
    But here it is! let me know what you think. Feedback is always welcome.

WIP6Grey_zpsaab4bd6d.jpg

WIP6Color_zps34cf4861.jpg

WIP6Close_zps3f812ee1.jpg

Just a bit more sculpting then its off to retopo! i hope i can finish on time.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Oooo pretty in pink! Looks great :)
  • Ngowan
    Offline / Send Message
    Ngowan polycounter lvl 3
    looking good, good job
  • Zaina
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaina polycounter lvl 10
    Oh i forgot to post an update here. Im sorry. It didnt turn out how i wanted it but it was a great learning experience. Cant wait to work on more. Thank you for all the comments and critiques!

Turn Around:
    LP_Turnaround_zpsuesjlrx8.jpg

Close up:
    LP_Closeup_zpsxa4j2zbz.jpg

Construction:
    LP_Construction_zpsfh48xrx2.jpg

in-Game View:
    InGameView_zpsai3eb3jm.jpg

High Poly Sculpt:
    HP_Sculpt_zpscmuaiiqh.jpg